- 8:38 AM smarterplanet - IBM Corporate Social Responsibility Report: http://tinyurl.com/2ff7o7
- 8:38 AM smarterplanet - Calif. may swap print books for digital http://bit.ly/3oNVU
- 8:38 AM smarterplanet - IBM Keeps the European Horticultural Industry Blooming http://bit.ly/py0C
- 4:07 AM inkones - RT @ThePetra: In 2010 Czech hospitals to be hit by crisis -> lower revenues, less doctors, need to cut costs ->change hc system #smartercity
- 4:07 AM saradelekta - catching up on #smartercity event in Berlin. great discussion. And my selfish wish is that IBM can help get San Fran on the right path.
- 4:07 AM smarterplanet - New post: IBM CEO, SmarterCities Berlin, Keynote Address (wordle) http://bit.ly/9Fumh
RT @jackmason: IBM CEO Samuel Palmisano – SmarterCities Berlin, Keynote Address, June 23, 2009 (Read PDF, 42 KB) bit.ly
- 4:07 AM smarterplanet - Event team is packing in Berlin as #smartercity will now more to New York but the conversation and actions only just begun in Berlin ^kr
- 4:07 AM smarterplanet - RT @zoernert: #smartercity Some stats: Number of posts: 277 – Number of contributors 123 <Special Thanks to each contributor!
- 9:43 AM zoernert - To join the conversation, post your thoughts on Twitter and include #smartercity in your post. Or click “Make a comment” in the above. After this sessions, please continue to join the conversation at http://asmarterplanet.com
- 9:43 AM AndreaDiMaio - Good closing pitch by Palmisano, but too bad he announced a smarter city benchmark. Didn’t people agree that cities are unique? #smartercity
- 9:42 AM bob_sutor - Smarter Cities discussion from Berlin (#smartercity) – http://bit.ly/f06SQ
- 9:42 AM Anders_Quitzau - great outcome of #smartercity. 500 change agents eager for action & collaboration
- 9:32 AM Anders_Quitzau - great outcome of #smartercity. 500 change agents eager for action & collaboration
- 9:15 AM markcleverley - Compelling closing speech. Go watch it if you can. k thx bai #smartercity
- 9:15 AM codeispoetry - An @zoernert @coastw weiss nicht, ob L:München CIO hat, aber es hat das Projekt LiMux http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux #smartercity #Linux
- 9:13 AM zoernert - SJP closing: “Why do you want to be a victim if you could control the outcome?”
- 9:08 AM mattm54 - Palmisano announces Smarter City Assessment to cities. Will Benchmark “smartness” of cities and show gaps to improve. #smartercity
- 9:05 AM danielcrow - @zoernert I think that paper will always be an inhibitor to innovation in the very least its fragile
- 9:05 AM mattm54 - Palmisano says smarter projects need partners, nobody can do it alone. Stockholm smart traffic project had 30 partners.” #smartercity
- 9:05 AM Anders_Quitzau - http://twitpic.com/89yg4 – Sam J Palminsano call to action for #smartercity
- 9:02 AM markcleverley - SJP: seeing societal benefit requires seeing personal benefit – thus inclusion… #smartercity
- 9:02 AM coastw - Official from rotterdam says public sector tends to talk too much, time to take action#smartercity
- 9:02 AM AndreaDiMaio - Panelist says: Liberalization is the way out. But do private players really care about the “system of systems”? #smartercity
- 9:02 AM markcleverley - Paul: we have never had a stonger mandate than we have now… #smartercity
- 9:02 AM markcleverley - SJP wrapping up…borrowing from Nike – Just Do It (re some big societal problems) #smartercity
- 8:59 AM Urbanverse - Will cities be better due to stimulus funds? @andreadimaio on IBM #smartercity forum day 1. http://bit.ly/shOhh
- 8:53 AM Urbanverse - Gd to see IBM #smartercity forum bring up the idea of meta-systems thinking. Now to see if anyone can do something w/ that idea; contribute.
- 8:49 AM coastw - Procurement processes for govt do not favor innovative approaches, but it can be done#smartercity
- 8:49 AM coastw - Final session underway. Lessons learned from Stockholm, malta, rotterdam, Milan. #smartercity
- 8:49 AM markcleverley - Austin: PPP gives more flexibility – and don’t overspecify – then use EU negotiated procedure #smartcity
- 8:49 AM markcleverley - Q: risk apportionment and PPP – critical but constrained by EU legislation #smartercity
- 8:49 AM markcleverley - Elio: but we do need standards, and we need skills #smartercity
- 8:49 AM markcleverley - Elio: no limit to our societal opportunities once we link these "systems of systems" #smartcity
- 8:48 AM coastw - Final session underway. Lessons learned from Stockholm, malta, rotterdam, Milan. #smartercity
- 8:48 AM kareltje - innovative water-cooling system and direct heat reuse http://bit.ly/1arLbz datacenters can become heat suppliers in a #smartercity
- 8:47 AM zoernert - Comment from audience: "Democracy and global governance need to mentioned/thought of more often" #smartercity
- 8:47 AM AndreaDiMaio - “Democracy” and “global governance” missing terms in this conference, says a thinktank rep from the audience. Pheew. #smartercity
- 8:41 AM markcleverley - Elio: attitude to and speed of change in government is slow – address politically, communicate, execute #smartercity
- 8:41 AM markcleverley - Paula: more, better metrics info needed #smartcity
- 8:41 AM markcleverley - Paula: we learned… the city doesn’t do it by itself – citizens, businesses must be in from the outset #smartercity
- 8:34 AM Urbanverse - Trains safer, good experience, cost effective transportation. CNBC vid. http://tinyurl.com/ll6z6u #smartercity #green
- 8:34 AM markcleverley - Austin: secret recipe for change? Keep your eyes on the prize" and go and sell #smartercity
- 8:31 AM AndreaDiMaio - Italian CEO shows that while ruling politicians in Italy cheat on their wives, members of the opposition are cheated by theirs #smartercity
- 8:29 AM markcleverley - Elio Catania (IBM alum): Milano is “the university of congestion” #smartercity
- 8:29 AM Anders_Quitzau - Rotterdam wants to be a #smartercity. Biggest problem is how to implement with many stakeholders
- 8:29 AM smarterplanetfr - RT @ragtag: d’ici à 2010 les images medicales occuperont jusqu’à 30% de la capacité de stockage des ordinateurs dans le monde #smartercity
- 8:26 AM markcleverley - Catania: In Stockholm, you pay for entry, vs Milano where you pay for your pollutio
- 8:26 AM markcleverley - Elio Catania (IBM alum): Milano is "the university of congestion" #smartercity
- 8:26 AM wiwiking - RT @ragtag: Quick fact: by 2010 medical images will take up 30% of all data stored on worlds computers #smartercity
- 8:26 AM wiwiking - RT @junkstar: #smartercities – The Tale of a Smarter City video – http://bit.ly/1aq52W >> I’m working on a French version – coming soon…
- 8:24 AM zoernert - Blog Posts related to panel:
- Rotterdam [press]
- 8:23 AM AndreaDiMaio - Living in Milan and suffering from bad service and dirty trains, hearing that the local bus company has a vision is weird #smartercity
- 8:22 AM Anders_Quitzau - Rotterdam wants to be a #smartercity. Biggest problem is how to implement with many stakeholders
- 8:21 AM markcleverley - Elio Catania (IBM alum): Milano is “the university of congestion” #smartercity
- 8:18 AM mattm54 - Back in the states, IBM’s Bill Pulleyblank talks Smarter Transportation and Smarter Rail on CNBC: http://tinyurl.com/ll6z6u #smartercity
- 8:18 AM zoernert - Rotterdam
With this collaboration with IBM, Rotterdam aims to transform into the first Smart Delta City — a city that utilizes real-world, real-time operational information to manage infrastructure and operations related to the effects of climate change in a dynamic, complex natural water system. The Smart Delta system’s information portal will enable officials and professionals to more quickly and effectively respond to concerns such as flood and drought threats, safety or accessibility issues, and changes in water conditions that could harm fish and other aquatic life.
“We are committed to reducing carbon dioxide by 50 percent and reaching a climate adaptive situation while also strengthening our region’s economic condition by 2025,” said Paula Verhoeven, Rotterdam Climate Office Director. “To reach these goals, we have defined a holistic approach to climate change and water management, considering economic and spatial planning factors in the decision-making process. This collaboration is important to help Rotterdam evolve to a Smart Delta City.”
As part of the collaboration, IBM intends to leverage the expertise of its Research arm, involving scientists across a broad spectrum of disciplines to explore additional areas such as the management of carbon in logistics processes.
Together with leading people from academia, industry and government, IBM has engaged over the past two years in projects worldwide to identify current and future impact on operations from changing water availability, accessibility, quality and quantities. In February 2008, IBM opened the Global Center of Excellence for Water Management in the Netherlands.
“Governments and companies that don’t understand how climate changes will impact their operations will increasingly find themselves at a disadvantage,” said Sharon Nunes, Vice President, Big Green Innovations, IBM. “Over the next few years, the business impact of either too-much or too-little water will be devastating in many parts of the world. The Smart Delta City initiative addresses the need to start thinking and acting in new ways to make our systems more efficient, productive and responsive.”
- 8:12 AM mattm54 - Back in the states, IBM’s Bill Pulleyblank talks Smarter Transportation and Smarter Rail on CNBC: http://tinyurl.com/ll6z6u #smartercity
- 8:11 AM markcleverley - Austin Gatt, Malta Minister: smart grid project – paradigms of change themselves have changed #smartercity
- 8:11 AM markcleverley - Trial BEFORE referendum key to building stakeholder consensus #smartercity
- 8:11 AM markcleverley - Gunnar Soderholm – Stockholm congestion charging – from political disaster (before) to popular triumph (after). #smartercity
- 8:11 AM carolinabigblue - @adamclyde thank you for the Berlin #smartercity link — as a former Berlin resident, I’ll be watching/posting today!
- 8:11 AM markcleverley - Austin Gatt, Malta Minister: smart grid project – paradigms of change themselves have changed #smartercity
- 8:09 AM Anders_Quitzau - stockholm roadcharge system originally viewed as the most expensive political suicide. But now a huge success #smartercity
- 8:09 AM markcleverley - Trial BEFORE referendum key to building stakeholder consensus #smartercity
- 8:05 AM markcleverley - Gunnar Soderholm – Stockholm congestion charging – from political disaster (before) to popular triumph (after). #smartercity
- 8:05 AM AndreaDiMaio - Lisbon agenda was not exactly a success – is Europe really leading? #smartercity
- 8:04 AM markcleverley - Paul Hofheinz, chairman of the Lisbon Council, moderating the final session here. #smartercity
- 8:04 AM zoernert -
- 8:02 AM zoernert - Just on stage: "Thanks for keeping the discussion up – during the last 2 days and continue." #smartercity
- 8:01 AM AndreaDiMaio - New ecosystems, new forms of collaboration, system of systems: themes emerging from breakout sessions #smartercity
- 8:01 AM markcleverley - Paul Hofheinz, chairman of the Lisbon Council, moderating the final session here. #smartercity
- 7:56 AM markcleverley - Mike Rhodin, i/c IBM NE Europe: Zurich is smarter than Boston… (uh oh) #smartercity
- 7:54 AM chrkoester - Danke – immerhin 5 aus den Top10 sind aber IBM-Rechner RT @mwhiegl: @chrkoester leider nicht korrekt – nur Jugene arbeitet mit IBM Systemen
- 7:42 AM smarterplanet - From Vermont’s Recovery Csar, Tom Evslin: The Smart Grid Opportunity in Pictures http://bit.ly/Lv3iL
- 7:25 AM chrkoester - Two of the worlds fastest Supercomputers are located in Germany – both are in Juelich and both are by IBM: http://bit.ly/akGh0
- 7:25 AM chrkoester - RT @michaeltwu: IBM’s Smart Planet – vision for a better world through technology. Very cool! http://bit.ly/ujtJM #smartcityc
- 7:25 AM chrkoester - A hundred years ago, people also have been dreaming of a #smarterplanet – slightly different though: http://bit.ly/S2qar #smartcity #german
- 6:58 AM mfkne - For me a smart city is one where u don’t need a car to get around, run errands, or basically to live. Almere is a good example #smartercity
- 6:27 AM zoernert - Smarter Government Services #smartgov
Toronto has 1 million Facebook subscribers. / London has more Twitter users than every other city.
What’s possible when you empowere your citizens by sharing information?
Are you prepared for coming changes in your city’s pupulation?
How can connected citizens advance your city’ s information agenda?
Comparing results on Google for federal govnment services www.lmgtfy.com and www.lmgtfy.com city services (amount of results)
Trying to find link to an illustration of a Berlin artist that shows what a city actually is: an organism. Homepage of artist is www.christophniemann.com – Hope that someone is able to send me link via Twitter (@zoernert).
Helsinki illustrates SOA, scablabe infrastructure… however surprised by amout of usage by citizens. Lessons learned: align processes with www-service and demand.
Personal opinion: seeing the infrastructure from Helsinki it looks for me like taking Enterprise 2.0 practise and adopt it to a Government 2.0 solution.
Barcelona – Public services mentioned in Twitter style – @simple @dynamic @efficient
Just mentioned eHealth system / www.ehealthserver.com
Getting insides into the 0 km policy – from Parma.
- 6:27 AM ragtag - Smarter Healthcare Services
Now in the #smarterhealthcare seesion at #smartercity berlin – in the library for this session
Quick fact: Preventable illnesses constitute as much as 90% all healthcare costs
Maria Rauch-Kallat is speaking first, she is Minister of Health a.D., Austria
what’s eMedication? prescription on a card & pharma safety belt to prevent drug interaction with OTC meds
Austrian solution for health means no more boring form filling and questions every time u c a new dr or go to another facility
Lifestyle choice – is this something we can say to customers that this is a positive choice,value proposition for
Karlsruhe look to improve chances for stroke victims with a Digital Awareness Layer in the infrastructure
Stroke Angel : number of patients treated tripled 300 – 900
iRegion Karlsruhe looking to expand the Stroke Angel pilot for other regions
traditional remedies infra/s bottlenecks don’t work – need a new interpretation of data security so we can share health data
Could we share our healthcare data like we do with Amazon, if you are willing to share then you could get benefits?
Quick fact: by 2010 medical images will take up 30% of all data stored on worlds computers
Stroke units are for a single player, care needs to be integrated from the home to hospital, aftercare and back home
- 6:26 AM PaulHofheinz - Smarter Utility
Marine Institute in Ireland brings new meaning to “sea change”
Fascinating discussion of Malta’s smart grid for energy and water at #smartercity Increases efficiency, cuts foreign dependancy, more green
In Malaga, energy is managed and produced on small scale and stored in batteries. 31 million euro project over 4 years.
Malaga, Spain aims to cut carbon emissions by 50% with smart grid, solar voltaic project.
“The key players are consumers’ habits, behaviours and dreams.”
[merged 4 Tweets]
- 6:22 AM zoernert - Question to followers: Do you feel as a citizen well integrated into the e-systems of your city? Too much paper? #smartercity #smartergov
From @AbdreaDiMaio – the problem is not paper, you can have the same amount of bureaucracy with an “e” in front #smartercity
- 6:17 AM Anders_Quitzau - #smartercity Ireland introduced open access for public collected data. Spurs innovation
- 6:17 AM zoernert - @AndreaDiMaio ACK! Paper was placeholder for “old” processes that have grown organically #smartercity
- 6:14 AM AndreaDiMaio - @zoernert the problem is not paper, you can have the same amount of bureaucracy with an “e” in front #smartercity
@Anders_Quitzau open data are cool but much hyped. Not sure people have clear ideas about what to do with those #smartercity
[2 Tweets merged]
- 6:06 AM smarterplanet - Breaking for lunch now.. keep the comments coming in. #smartercity ^kr
- 6:05 AM markcleverley - For smart evacuation research go search for "bosch + SESAME" #smartercity
- 5:47 AM zoernert - Makiert zum später lesen RT @jkoeber: #smartercity #healthcare in meinem Blog: http://bit.ly/UzOjF
- 5:41 AM ragtag - RT @jkoeber: #smartercity #healthcare in meinem Blog: http://bit.ly/UzOjF
- 5:41 AM jkoeber - #smartercity #healthcare in meinem Blog: http://bit.ly/UzOjF
- 5:38 AM ragtag - RT @monkchips: IBM to collaborate w/ city of Rotterdam for #smartwater & energy mgmt http://bit.ly/J7zCb @charmermark http://bit.ly/8eWoK
- 5:27 AM zoernert - To participate in the conversation, just include #SmarterCity in your Twitter post, or add a comment directly above “Make a comment” (dark bar).
- 5:22 AM ibmevents - RT @markcleverley: Good phrase – “Policing is far too important to be left to the police” #smartercity
- 5:22 AM markcleverley - Fernando Garcia Ruiz sums it up – a smart city needs to be a sassusd fe city #smartercity
- 5:22 AM ibmers - Maria Rauch-Kallat is speaking first, she is Minister of Health a.D., Austria #smartercity #smarter… via @ragtag http://bit.ly/bhKtH
- 5:21 AM Anders_Quitzau - Malta is becoming a Smarter Island – reducing water losses of 15 mill euros annually #smartercity
- 5:21 AM thereyesreport - Police offices like fiefdoms. Partenering in joint ventures helps collab’n w/ community, union & effectiveness of force. #smartercity
- 5:19 AM zoernert - #smarteredu – 3 Worte die den Punkt treffen: RT @dkreuz: Sozialisiert von Internetausdruckern?
- 5:19 AM zoernert - Searching for link to a illustration of "City" as organism. Artist is from Berlin. http://is.gd/1bAa0
- 5:18 AM markcleverley - Fernando Garcia Ruiz sums it up – a smart city needs to be a safe city #smartercity
- 5:13 AM markcleverley - Good phrase – “Policing is far too important to be left to the police” #smartercity
- 5:11 AM markcleverley - Proof point – Colin’s police force is one of the few (of 52) in the UK that is actively recruiting #smartercity
- 5:06 AM markcleverley - Shared services – while not yet all that common – "should be" a no-brainer for smart cities #smartercity
- 5:04 AM smarterplanet - Round two of the breakout session at #smartercity @ragtag in Health, @thereyesreport is in Public Safefty, @zoernert in govt services ^kr
- 5:03 AM markcleverley - Colin Port reminds us that the rural hinterland is also "part of" the city #smartercity
- 5:01 AM markcleverley - Second iteration of the public safety breakout starts – integration, collaboration, "system of systems" #smartercity
- 4:58 AM markcleverley - Irving Wladawsky-Berger starts the second iteration of the breakout on Public Safety
- 4:57 AM zoernert - London has more Twitter Users than every other city #smartercity http://is.gd/1bAa0
- 4:55 AM zoernert - @dkreuz Du bist mir übrigens als gutes Beispiel eingefallen – besonders unser Gespräch beim Tweetup HN
- 4:55 AM kafkaspice - RT:zoernert: Toronto has 1 million Facebook subscribers. #smartercity
- 4:55 AM dkreuz - @zoernert Bei uns in der Hochschule Heilbronn ermuntere ich alle Twitter zu benutzen. Plus: Wiki, Foren, …
- 4:52 AM zoernert - Toronto has 1 million Facebook subscribers. #smartercity – LiveBlog now: Government Services at http://is.gd/1bAa0
- 4:44 AM thereyesreport - Smarter Transport
Stockholm traffic congestion solution – started as political suicide, ende as a sunshine story – green city award results. #smartercity
A gaps in the room as speaker shares data of stock’S success. Lots of note-taking. Maybe nyc should reconsider. #smartercity
Nick Donofrio in transportation – its not about the tech innov’n, its what you do differently w/ it that matters
TomTom VP says gps helps consumers cut gas and omissions and travel safer by getting lost less.
TomTom lets users change gps maps and share back. Collaboration at its best – wish my Nuvi did that.
Mobile devices also may help offer data on smarter traffic information to yield insights for cities.
Recommended reading: the rise of the creative class.
Sustainability isn’T an easy thing and maybe its a trend term- so viol about how to brand your city or the improvement project
- 4:43 AM markcleverley - Smarter pulic safety
Colin Port, Chief Constable, Avon and Somerset, kicks off Public Safety session – how to collaborate and share services
Paula Verhoeven talks about protecting Rotterdam from potential climate-induced water disaster
Fred Streefland demonstrates the decision support behind the Rotterdam water approaches
Green roofs, smart multifunctional levels, water plazas – this is really an holistic approach
Fascinating “dashboard” to give Rotterdam the information to take the right actions at the right times during climate extremes
City Situational Awareness – a concept that should spread from this subject – water – to others
Michael von Foerster from Bosch talks about smart evacuation of buildings in emergencies
Instrumented buildings can perceive, comprehend, project and respond to (eg) fires
- 4:43 AM ragtag - Smarter Utilities
Is your city’s energy strategy fueling economic growth?
Energy needs to be sustainable.. the only part of this conversation that needs to be worked out is how?
ICT-based energy system of the future – smart grids: intelligence in energy distribution
Cornerstones – profitability, security & enironmental compatibility
Example of a customers breakfast, using energy at the right time, bread starts at 3am, fridge cools to 3c at 4am
Model city of Mannheim develops the energy marketplace
Kjartan Skaugvoll from Nuon up next
Nuon www.nuon.nl help make consumers energy consumption smarter
Nuon “Display” similar to CurrentCost device, is touchscreen & wireless, helped reduce test group power by 9% & gas 14%
Wonder if @andysc has seen the Nuon “Display” #smarterutilities
Wow a smarter energy home! Where have I seen that? runs on linux too
Dong energy from Denmark now – I remember seeing their name everywhere when I was there last year
Energy companies are part of the planets problems, we recognise that but are changing
Aiming for 85% renewable energy
customers will need to become energy generators (especially if we will all have electric cars!)
“citizens must be committed and involved” which was also a theme from yesterday
Another theme “Collaboration” being mentioned, many, many partners for this project in Málaga
Málaga uses small scale energy generation stored in batteries for use later..
barrier for customers to take action – 80% of faulty thermostats returned in factory settings
smarterutilities starts with the customer..not in a big thermo plant
- 4:43 AM zoernert - Smarter Education #smarteredu
What return on invest are your city schools bringing?
Is your city connected to the global classroom?
Are your city’s future leaders getting ready for the real world?
From Brandenburg we could learn that the adoption of technology needs accompanying change management effort.
Discussion about getting computers into classroom. Generation change in technology adoption visible in different states/countries. Causing challenges to speed up with.
Trying to build the link between technology in the classroom, adoption of teachers and what is calles Digital Natives. (see for example German FAZ blog post).
Learned about Computer Club for Girls.
Further details for could be found at:
Discussion about e-learning vs e-teaching.
- 4:26 AM thereyesreport - Does congestion pricing offer dynamic alt to flat road tax? Makes sense to pay exactly what you use, when, and the car u r in. #smartercity
- 4:16 AM markcleverley - Any intelligent buildings folks out there should look at what Bosch is doing with this #smartercity
- 4:02 AM chrkoester - Starting some Live-Blogging on the #smartercity event in Berlin: http://bit.ly/O3tG2
- 3:55 AM Anders_Quitzau - Dong reduce CO2 by 85% by becoming a smarter utility #smartercity
- 3:54 AM andikopp2 - Mobile devices also may help offer data on smarter traffic information to yield insights for cities. #smartercity (via @thereyesreport)
- 3:52 AM Anders_Lundin - RT @ibmsverige: Stockholm Named Intelligent Community of Year 2009 by ICF http://is.gd/1bBEC #smartercity ^hl
- 3:52 AM ragtag - Endesa: José Arrojo de Lamo, Director – says hello to a smart audience #smartercity #smarterutil
- 3:48 AM andikopp2 - Smarter Education
RT @zoernert: leider noch zu selten und an den Schulen die die Regierung abschaffen will #KGS vermutlich am besten =kontraproduktiv
- 3:48 AM nicoduck - Smarter Education
@zoernert bei mir wars zwar ganz ok aebr hätte man trotzdem öfters einsetzen können, wirkliche neuerungen wurden kaum genutzt
- 3:36 AM zoernert - Frage an meine Follower: Wie weit sind Computer im Unterricht vertreten? Wie weit werden Digital Natives angesprochen? #Schultyp ?
- 3:29 AM markcleverley - Fernando Garcia Ruiz – improving security in Madrid by integration of emergency response functions locally and nationally #smartercity
- 3:12 AM mattm54 - Palmisano "connected world + embed intelligence gives us data/info 2 apply analytics to mine/create solutions for world’s probs #smartercity
- 3:03 AM PaulHofheinz - Day two of #smartercity begins with high-level working group on improving public health.
- 3:03 AM smarterplanet - So the sessions will run twice for 1.5hrs to give everyone a chance to get to hear two – we will cover each session once #smartercity ^kr
- 3:00 AM smarterplanet - So back at the Hyatt for this morning, breakout sessions on utilities, health, transport, govt, education & public safety #smartercity ^kr
- 2:58 AM AndreaDiMaio - Smarter Cities or Stimulus Cities? My first day at IBM event in Berlin – blogs.gartner.com
The first day was mostly devoted to introducing the very concept of smarter city, to stress how important cities are in the future, what are their common challenges and how technology can help face those challenges.
I particularly liked the concept of city as a “system of systems”, which Sam Palmisano (IBM’s CEO) put forward in his speech, as well as his remark that most of the key issues for cities, such as health and well-being, have no political color, and therefore can be pursued irrespective of the political situation.
- 2:57 AM PaulHofheinz - Rometty: Amount of electricity lost each year through analog grid could power Germany, India and Canada for year. #smartercity
- 2:55 AM thereyesreport - From russia: what is the role of grown-ups with infusing social responsibility in the minds of our youths?#smartercity
- 2:51 AM chrkoester - IBM hat heute das erste europäisches Analytics Solution Center in Berlin eröffnet #smartercity #bizanalytics
- 2:45 AM zoernert - As people getting to the summit – starting to resume live blogging #smartercity
- 2:42 AM inkones - Wishing team at #smartercity ! forum in Berlin a fab day2! Watching out for your news (and getting used to its new hashtag ;-)
- 2:42 AM markcleverley - Public safety breakout today. See BBC report on Andy Stanford-Clark’s home twittering him – at http://tinyurl.com/lkszvg #smartercity
- 2:42 AM adamclyde - I’ve stayed up late enough to start catching the Berlin crowd waking up. #smartercity LiveBlog should start revving soon http://bit.ly/7XKdK
- 2:38 AM holecard - Manditory registation of small engines.
- 2:38 AM holecard - Use lasers instead of sonar to track subsand ships. To protect the whales.
- 2:38 AM smarterplanet - New post: A critical moment in time for the environment and organizations. http://bit.ly/OJ2e6
- 2:38 AM smarterplanet - RT @Ralph_Jacobson New IBM survey says less than 20% trust the food they buy is safe and healthy. More tomorrow at D.C. event #ibmfoodDC
- 2:38 AM smarterplanet - New post: Cultivating a Smarter Food Supply http://bit.ly/P976D
- 1:35 PM zoernert -
- 1:31 PM tiffitis - thanks to all for tweeting about Berlin Smarter Cities event #smartercity
- 1:30 PM zoernert -
- 1:12 PM andikopp2 - RT @mamadopolis Stadtwerke Kooperation Jena und Gera. Sehr passend zu #Smartercity (via @PetraBaeuerle)
- 1:11 PM Mat - I’m proud to be working for IBM – a company that invests in our future to create smarter cities and a smarter planet for all of us
- 12:42 PM zoernert - Closing question for this evening:
What are the points that make a city to be not smart? Are there any examples of cities that do not act smart? – add a comment directly via the “Make a comment”-Bar (dark bar) above.
- 12:39 PM Carlo - IBM can make #smartercity a relaity and foster cooperation
- 12:37 PM smarterplanet - RT @Anders_Quitzau: wiezsacker: ibm’s succes at #smartercity will be our benefits … ^kr
- 12:27 PM Anders_Quitzau - weizsäcker: ibm’s succes at #smartercity will be our benefits …
- 12:25 PM zoernert - “Smarter Citizens drive Smart Cities”… now the fact behind: 80% of the patents come from cities.
- 12:25 PM smarterplanet - wow, even in the overflow room that got applause – standing ovation in the main tent for former German president #smartercity ^kr
- 12:23 PM AndreaDiMaio - Integrate immigrants into the social fabric of the city is key – speech gets better and better #smartercity
- 12:22 PM ragtag - What city other than your own would you live in if you had to make a choice? #smartercity
- 12:22 PM stafferner - 1st Europe Analytics Solution Center opened in Berlin – www-03.ibm.com #smartercity
- 12:22 PM zoernert - Standing ovations for Dr. Richard v. Weiszäcker as he is closing speech.
- 12:21 PM ragtag - RT @wfavero: @ragtag if cost wasn’t an issue, it would be New York City #smartercity << never been, someone got a ticket?
- 12:21 PM ragtag - In his own words Dr Weizsacker is "boasting" about how great his city is – it sounds great, hope I get to see some of it #smartercity
- 12:20 PM carloit - @smarterplanet how to contribute to a #smartercity ..http://bit.ly/17AXKW
- 12:20 PM ragtag - @AndreaDiMaio he’s very good.. what he doesn’t say is just as good. #smartercity
- 12:16 PM AndreaDiMaio - Can we get the Former German President a contract to run my country? He is clever, funny and articulated, unlike our leaders #smartercity
- 12:15 PM smarterplanet - RT @AndreaDiMaio: Inspiring recap of rises & falls of Berlin 1871 to today. A great tale that politicians should listen to #smartercity ^kr
- 12:15 PM jbaeck - DAH meetings were really productive today, saw #ibm #smartercity banners all over berlin
- 12:13 PM wfavero - @ragtag if cost wasn’t an issue, it would be New York City #smartercity
- 12:12 PM ragtag - @emilyobyrne I think one of the people on the panel said that quality of life was a major measure of a #smartercity looks count :o)
- 12:12 PM chrkoester - Wenn Ihr Euch eine Stadt aussuchen könntet, in der Ihr lebt, welche würdet Ihr wählen und warum? http://bit.ly/EYCYR #smartercity
- 12:12 PM zoernert - #personal-opinion: @ragtag I am not living in Berlin. Yes, I’ve been here several times this year – and yes you hear a lot of things in the news about Berlin. But the speech of RvW would make me pick Berlin for several reasons.
- 12:09 PM emilyobyrne - @ragtag I’d try Edinburgh. Maybe not smarter than London, but very beautiful. #smartercity
- 12:09 PM rmbutlin - Hey @ragtag #smartercity, next best city would be Paris (after London) – does this consititute a formal application for an emea role? ;-)
- 12:03 PM AndreaDiMaio - Former President of Germany addresses audience in English in Berlin: something many in his position wouldn’t do. Kudos to him #smartercity
- 12:00 PM zoernert - R. v. Weiszäcker: “The poorer cities are – the faster they grow”
- 11:59 AM smarterplanet - Dr. Richard von Weizsaecker, former President, Germany makes an address to the forum. He is giving his speech in English language.
- 11:56 AM thereyesreport - From russia: what is the role of grown-ups with infusing social responsibility in the minds of our youths?#smartercity
- 11:56 AM zoernert - Martin Jetter introduces Dr. Richard von Weizsäcker on stage #smartercity
- 11:55 AM smarterplanet - Final comment from panel: a #smartercity needs to be inclusive ^kr
- 11:55 AM smarterplanet - panel closing: Open for change, need creativity, socially innovative, citizens need to be proud of themselves and the city ^kr
- 11:54 AM wiwiking - RT @PaulHofheinz: Rometty: Amount of electricity lost each year thru analog grid could power Germany, India and Canada 4a year. #smartercity
- 11:52 AM smarterplanet - New blog post: Mark Cleverley Linkages, “subsytems” of cities http://asmarterplanet.com/blog/2009/06/linkages.html
The Smarter Cities conference has breakout sessions, as you would expect, on the “subsystems” of cities – transportation, health, education, and so on. I was reminded yesterday, in a preparatory discussion on public safety, that a main idea here is that there are important linkages between these subsystems.
Our discussion moved from new approaches in law enforcement and emergency response to the importance of safe streets to our educational systems, and from there to the contribution that education makes to safer communities, and then back again…
Of all the capabilities that being “smarter” provides, one of the most important is to be able to look across the subsystems, make connections, test hypotheses, take action. It’s natural enough to take separate looks at each subsystem, at least to start. But perhaps really new (smart) insights will come from the (more, or less obvious) linkages that we can find. I’ll be looking for those in particular as this event rolls forward.
- 11:51 AM thereyesreport - Smart social services isn’t simply a by-product. But where is the line for big brother and security? #smartercity
- 11:51 AM thereyesreport - Is it governments job to seduce private sector to follow this smarter path? #smartercity
- 11:50 AM AndreaDiMaio - Mayor of Almere gives great examples. However how many cities can afford to start from scratch? #smartercity
- 11:48 AM wiwiking - RT @smarterplanet: inclusion is one of the most important parts of a successful city so that smart technologies are open to everyone
- 11:48 AM ragtag - Can the panelists give a sound-bite in 140 characters? #smartercity
- 11:48 AM markcleverley - #smartercity wondering why my tweets aren’t appearing?
- 11:48 AM zoernert - A. Jorritsma: “If you have smart citizens – you get smart cities”
- 11:47 AM thereyesreport - Is it governments job to seduce private sector to follow this smarter path? #smartercity
- 11:41 AM markcleverley - Don’t take a solely technocratic view… it excludes… #smartercity
- 11:40 AM Anders_Quitzau - jorritsma,mayor of almere: bring experts together in the #smartercity not the CEOs
- 11:40 AM thereyesreport - How do you address the digital divide and not widen gap b/w poor and well-educated?Be practical says NL mayor. #smartercity
- 11:38 AM thereyesreport - Science and math skills still critically impt to a cities development. Heads up uni students! #smartercity
- 11:37 AM zoernert - @panel “How do we ensure that all the “smart technologies” are open to the society?”
- 11:37 AM smarterplanet - inclusion is one of the most important parts of a successful city so that smart technologies are open to everyone #smartercity ^kr
- 11:36 AM markcleverley - Paul Bevan – Cities are the "most sustainable pattern…" critical mass for providing goods… #smartercity
- 11:34 AM thereyesreport - Mayor of Almere NL says it is brand new, before it was fully under water. Now nearly 200k+ residents and expects to double! #smartercity
- 11:31 AM ragtag - RT @PaulHofheinz: Rometty: electricity lost each year through analog grid could power Germany, India & Canada 4 a year. #smartercity
- 11:29 AM zoernert - RT @PaulHofheinz: Amount of electricity lost each year through analogue grid could power Germany, India and Canada for year. #smartercity
- 11:29 AM smarterplanet - Paul Bevan, Eurocities, Annemarie Jorritsma, Mayor, Almere (NL) and Harald Wolf, Mayor, Berlin #smartercity ^kr
- 11:27 AM PaulHofheinz - Rometty: Amount of electricity lost each year through analog grid could power Germany, India and Canada for year. #smartercity
- 11:27 AM smarterplanet - GinniRomertty hands over to Alex Puissant who will hand the next panel #smartercity ^kr
- 11:23 AM zoernert - 100 Mrd USD gehen in der EU durch "im Stau stehen" an Produktivität verloren #smartercity
- 11:21 AM PaulHofheinz - Rometty: Energy use to rise 40% by 203 on current trend. #smartercity Systems built when energy inexpensive and environment not in trouble.
- 11:19 AM PaulHofheinz - Rometty, quoting Plato; "The city is what the city is because the citizens are what the citizens are." #smartercity
- 11:13 AM PaulHofheinz - IBM’s Ginny Rometty: What is a smart city? Instrumented, interconnected, intelligent. #smartercity
- 11:07 AM junkstar - The IBM ‘roadrunner’ hybrid #supercomputer breaks petaflop barrier of 1,000 trillion ops per second. http://ow.ly/fDPc #smartercity
- 11:07 AM Anders_Quitzau - Philips and IBM share the vision for a #smartercity in Berlin
- 11:06 AM adamclyde - Great seeing all the #smartercity conversation happening and seeing the live blog light up http://bit.ly/7XKdK I feel like a proud dad
- 11:01 AM wiwiking - RT @junkstar: The IBM ‘roadrunner’ hybrid #supercomputer breaks petaflop barrier of 1,000 trillion ops per second. http://ow.ly/fDPc
- 10:59 AM wiwiking -
- 10:59 AM wiwiking - #smartercity event held by IBM in Berlin (Germany) > http://twitpic.com/86hip
- 10:53 AM zoernert - We have a break now for 20 – minutes [This post will be removed as soon as over]
- 10:32 AM smarterplanet - SJP closing: we need to get in a room and do something rather than be victims of our own inaction #smartercity ^kr
- 10:32 AM markcleverley - #smartercity SJP reinforces need for action – will public/private partnership help?
- 10:32 AM PaulHofheinz - Provoost: "We should walk out of here with the conviction that we can do things differently – today." #smartercity
- 10:31 AM wiwiking - RT @joelrubino: You should all follow #smartercity great event in Berlin around Smart planet / smart cities. Very inspiring.
- 10:30 AM smarterplanet - Closing comments@ Rudy: this is all possible today, walking out of here we can all do something #smartercity ^kr
- 10:30 AM smarterplanet - The right people in charge of the right city will get things done #smartercity ^kr
- 10:30 AM markcleverley - #smartercity panel please recall Churchill: democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.
- 10:30 AM AndreaDiMaio - Aren’t we pushing this competition between cities a bit too far. The corporate world does fully get “public value” #smartercity
- 10:29 AM thereyesreport - NL mayor sees need for tools that aid inter-city collaboration, not autocratic govs. #smartercity
- 10:29 AM joelrubino - You should all follow #smartercity great event in Berlin around Smart planet / smart cities. Very inspiring.
- 10:27 AM AnnaSilvia - art cities need to be smarter to be efficient but without changing appearance; it that possible ? #smartercity
- 10:27 AM markcleverley - #smartercity questioner reinforces the role of legislature and defends government’s agility. Quite right.
- 10:26 AM smarterplanet - Q How do we communicate as councils better with our people? ^kr
- 10:26 AM markcleverley - #smartercity questioner reinforces the role of legislature and defends government’s agility. Quite right.
- 10:22 AM AndreaDiMaio - Smarter planet and cities need smarter people: are we developing those? Great question from the audience #smartercity
- 10:22 AM smarterplanet - Q How do we get smarterpeople? Sam: T-shaped skills ^kr
- 10:21 AM thereyesreport - How can entrepreneurs but red tape 2 better partner w/ gov’ts to be more involved w/ these new opps? #smartercity
- 10:20 AM markcleverley - #smartercity Can government innovate via small companies given procurement rules? (hint: yes of course – but partnering helps)
- 10:20 AM zoernert - If you want to comment with more than 140 characters as possible via Twitter – open asmarterplanet.com in your browser and use “Make a comment” bar.
- 10:18 AM Anders_Quitzau - are policy makers hindering the #smartercity?
- 10:17 AM SheenaBee - i was fascinated by advert on CNN with Omar Sharif where he talks about outside airconditioning ! Could do with that today #smartercity
- 10:16 AM smarterplanet - RT @ragtag: Questions from the audience: Does the procurement process by govt for solutions get in the way of innovation? ^kr #smartercity
- 10:15 AM ragtag - Questions from the audience: Does the procurement process by govt for solutions get in the way of innovation?
- 10:15 AM wiwiking - I’m finding interesting things about Paris investing in geothermal energy to heat 170,000 houses and more http://is.gd/1agC2 #smartercities
- 10:14 AM coastw - Sam… Competition intensifying between cities.. Comes down to who can provide best quality of life. #smartercity
- 10:13 AM ragtag - Panel discuss: How do cities gain longevity in planning and development? #smartercity
- 10:10 AM markcleverley - #smartercity panel:: lacking a roadmap, implementing with multiple stakeholders, seem to be challenges 1 and 2 here.
- 10:07 AM ragtag - Rudy:City Branding is about creating a shared id, a shared vision and a shared dream #smartercity
- 10:06 AM ragtag - RT @zoernert: now i am really waiting for a tweet about a nick name… it is not me… << You know you want to
- 10:06 AM markcleverley - #smartercity panel:: lacking a roadmap, implementing with multiple stakeholders, seem to be challenges 1 and 2 here.
- 10:05 AM smarterplanet - RT @cityforward: Live-tweeting from IBM Smarter Cities summit in Berlin. See @smarterplanet. <<< Thanks ^kr
- 10:03 AM PaulHofheinz - Personal note: smarter cities will require better batteries. Will keep coverage going as long as possible. #smartercity
- 10:02 AM PaulHofheinz - WPP s Sir Martin Sorrell: Sustainability is not about charity, it’s about good business. #smartercity
- 10:01 AM wiwiking - RT @smarterplanet: SJP> who is going to be in charge of the system of systems? Mayors #smartercity
- 10:00 AM ragtag - IBMers can also follow #smartercity on w3 with an aggregated social media feed http://bit.ly/AjY6S
- 9:58 AM PaulHofheinz - Personal note: smarter cities will require better batteries. Will keep coverage going as long as possible. #smartercity
- 9:57 AM markcleverley - #smartercity SJP suggests the need for action is non-political. Remembering “we campaign in poetry but we govern in prose”.
- 9:57 AM smarterplanetfr - Sam Palmisano (CEO IBM) s’adresse aux maires qui sont en charge du “système des systèmes” http://bit.ly/goIxV #smartercity
- 9:56 AM PaulHofheinz - Outstanding, insipiring remarks from IBM’s Sam Palmisano on need, necessity for change. #smartercity Sir Martin Sorrell takes floor.
- 9:56 AM PaulHofheinz - Palmisano: "Society today expects all of us to get on with solving the problems." #smartercity
- 9:56 AM markcleverley - #smartercity SJP suggests the need for action is non-political. Remembering "we campaign in poetry but we govern in prose".
- 9:56 AM markcleverley - SJP – action on enabling smart cities is "non-political" – his point is that "we campaign in poetry but we govern in prose".
- 9:56 AM blueblog - Blue Blogger am LiveBloggen von Smarter Cities Summit in Berlin: http://is.gd/1aeLY #SmarterCity
- 9:53 AM smarterplanet - We know have a panel session with Sir Martin Sorrell (WPP), SJP and Rudy Provoost #smartercity ^kr
- 9:51 AM coastw - Sam speaking, says conditions ideal to make cities smart… Issues citizens care about are apolitical. #smartercity
- 9:51 AM smarterplanet - SJP peoples well being is not political, we just need to solve the problems. #smartercity ^kr
- 9:50 AM PaulHofheinz - Palmisano: Most important thing to bring about change is to build awareness and readiness for change. #smartercity
- 9:49 AM markcleverley - SJP phrase that hits home: "the easiest thing to do is to run to the past". #smartercity
- 9:48 AM PaulHofheinz - Palmisano: We need innovation in public policy. Easiest thing to do in hard times is run to past. #smartercity
- 9:48 AM zoernert - Palmisano: “You need innovation in public policy?” – What would public policy be in Germany? #smartercity
- 9:47 AM ragtag - SJP: We need to encourage openness & innovation 2 allow goods, skills and ideas to flow #smartercity
- 9:45 AM PaulHofheinz - Palmisano: At end of day, only way to solve problems is through collaboration. #smartercity
- 9:45 AM thereyesreport - Does leadership = balance b/w big ideas and fixing the pot holes that slow you down? #smartercity
- 9:45 AM smarterplanet - SJP: for collaboration you need standards to solve the end-to-end problem eg to manage systemic risk #smartercity ^kr
- 9:44 AM PaulHofheinz - Palmisano: You have to deal with the potholes. That’s how your performance will be judged, among other things. #smartercity
- 9:42 AM ragtag - SJP Mayors need to change, grow, innovate and develop to stay in their jobs but need to get the basics right #smartercity
- 9:41 AM markcleverley - SJP discussing early career talking to the Mayor of Baltimore – which itself later innovated with CityStat. #smartercity
- 9:40 AM wiwiking - latest RT makes me think of a test you can do: find a picture taken 30 yrs ago of a street in your city and compare with today. now take a picture in your city today and imagine how it might look like in 10 or 20yrs from now: what would you change? #smartercity
Remark: maybe add #smartercitylight to a tweet of your findings.
- 9:40 AM smarterplanet - SJP "You need to deal with the potholes so people think you are doing your job" #smartercity ^kr
- 9:40 AM PaulHofheinz - Palmisano: A city is a system of systems, has all of the challenges of complex systems integration. #smartercity
- 9:38 AM PaulHofheinz - Palmisano: "This is real. This isn’t the future. It’s happening now." #smartercity
- 9:38 AM ragtag - RT @AndreaDiMaio: Heat generated by data center used to heat swimming pools or small neighboroughoods #smartercity
- 9:37 AM smarterplanet - RT @thereyesreport: SJP world is smaller & flatter, but cheap tech has m/ them interconnected & opens opp 2 solve big probs #smartercity ^kr
- 9:36 AM AndreaDiMaio - Heat generated by data center used to heat swimming pools or small neighboroughoods #smartercity
- 9:36 AM AndreaDiMaio - Sam Palmisano depicting Web 3.0 without naming it such #smartercity
- 9:36 AM markcleverley - Rudy Provoost had a striking phrase – #smartercity “is a meeting of hearts as much as of minds”.
- 9:35 AM PaulHofheinz - Palmisano: The digital and physical infrastructure are becoming one thing. #smartercity
- 9:35 AM sandyberman - great to be sitting in NC and following #smartercity in Berlin – feels smart to me !
- 9:35 AM PaulHofheinz - Palmisano: The digital and physical infrastructure are becoming one thing. #smartercity
- 9:35 AM markcleverley - Rudy Provoost had a striking phrase – #smartercity "is a meeting of hearts as much as of minds".
- 9:34 AM thereyesreport - SJP: yes the word is smaller and flatter, but inexpensive tech has made them interconnected and opens opp to solve big probs #smartercity
- 9:33 AM mattm54 - Palmisano "connected world + embed intelligence gives us data/info 2 apply analytics to mine/create solutions for world’s probs #smartercity
- 9:32 AM PaulHofheinz - IBM’s Sam Palmisano: World is connected psychologically, socially, economically as never before. #smartercity
- 9:32 AM smarterplanet - SJP computers are everywhere, in everything and cost very little in historical terms #smartercirty ^kr
- 9:31 AM mattm54 - IBMs Palmisano"series of shocks to world: climate change,energy,supply chains,threats like 9/11 r byproducts of connected world #smartercity
- 9:30 AM wiwiking - RT @ragtag: Takes 30 years to plan and implement renovation on our streets and roads #smartercity need to be quicker
- 9:29 AM ragtag - Looks like Linda Stanford in the back row of the overflow room.. and Sam is on now #smartercity
- 9:28 AM PaulHofheinz - Putstanding presentation from Rudy Provoost of Philips at #smartercity in Berlin
- 9:27 AM mattm54 - Provoost says cities are great ecosystems for breakthru innovation, collaboration with biz to drive real progress for citizens #smartercity
- 9:23 AM smarterplanet - For success you need: shared dream business and govt, intelligent solutions, people need to id w/ vision #smartercity ^kr
- 9:23 AM zoernert - Nice quote – to be successful: "All need to share the same dream." … "people need to identify with the vision" #smartercity
- 9:23 AM markcleverley - #smartercity – Rudy Provoost – wise use of stimulus as investment into digital infrastructure can accelerate renovation "for vital elan".
- 9:23 AM markcleverley - #smartercity – Rudy Provoost – wise use of stimulus as investment into digital infrastructure can accelerate renovation “for vital elan”.
- 9:23 AM zoernert - Nice quote – to be successful: “All need to share the same dream.” … “people need to identify with the vision” #smartercity
- 9:23 AM smarterplanet - For success you need: shared dream business and govt, intelligent solutions, people need to id w/ vision #smartercity ^kr
- 9:22 AM PaulHofheinz - Provoost: "It’s more than a cost discussion. It’s a values discussion." #smartercity
- 9:20 AM ragtag - Takes 30 years to plan and implement renovation on our streets and roads #smartercity need to be quicker
- 9:20 AM Andy Hasse - Uh, This is hot stuff…we will watch this from Stuttgart as the Smart Berlin City unveils ways to push forward our society…thanks.
- 9:19 AM PaulHofheinz - Provoost: Could improve 40% globally, equivalent to planting a forest the size of Germany. Possible today. #smartercity
- 9:17 AM PaulHofheinz - Provoost: 80% of buildings today use out-of-date, energy-inefficient lighting. #smartercity
- 9:17 AM zoernert - 19% des Energieverbrauchs wird durch Beleuchtung verursacht (via Rudy Proovost / CEO Phillips). #smartercity
- 9:14 AM AnnaSilvia - energy is one of the most critical items in smarter cities: can anyone in berlin twitter on what is said on energy ? #smartercity
- 9:13 AM zoernert - Rudyc Provoost (CEO Philips) – lists challenges for society:
1. Change of Demographics,
3. Center of gravity is moving to the east,
4. Hygiene factor
5. Political affectness (social equity)
- 9:13 AM PaulHofheinz - Provoost: 19% of world energy consumption is in lighting. #smartercity
- 9:10 AM PaulHofheinz - Provoost: "Embrace the culture of open, collaborative innovation." #smartercity
- 9:10 AM thereyesreport - On healthcare, WHO says little known fact that pneumonia is #1 killer of kids – worst than malaria + aids … And treatable #smartercity
- 9:09 AM PaulHofheinz - Philips’ Rudy Provoost: “a better planet powered by health and well being.” #smartercity
- 9:08 AM PaulHofheinz - Philips’ Rudy Provoost: "a better planet powered by health and well being." #smartercity
- 9:07 AM mattm54 - Rudy Provoost,CEO, Philips Lighting up.IBM and Philips in same business:share dream of smarter planet,innovating to make real. #smartercity
- 9:05 AM markcleverley - #smartercity Wow – Herr Wowereit – great close! Encouraging us to make sure we spend some time and money in his fair city.
- 9:05 AM sandyberman - In Berlin, saw a very cool green display in Potsdamer Platz – showing impact of energy use over time #smartercity
- 9:05 AM markcleverley - #smartercity Wow – Herr Wowereit – great close! Encouraging us to make sure we spend some time and money in his fair city.
- 9:04 AM smarterplanet - Berlin Mayor accepts plaque from Martin Jetter, CGM IBM Germany 4 opening of the Business Analytics Innovation Centre ^kr
- 9:03 AM zoernert - IBM Analytics Solution Center #smartercity – 100 in Berlin / 400 in Germany / working on making cities smarter. Makes Berlin rich & sexy :)
- 9:03 AM ragtag - A growing population and increased knowledge means we have to find new solutions with finite resources #smartercity
- 9:02 AM PaulHofheinz - Wowereit: 50% of households now single people. This will change meaning of health care and ageing. #smartercity
- 9:01 AM zoernert - Synergy can be created in the area of health – as Berlin has headquarters of several market leaders in the life-science market. “How can we make sure that older people can stay at home as long as possible?” having in mind that more and more living in single households. Those are challenges cities need to deal with.
- 9:01 AM thereyesreport - If its possible to architecht and construct green and smart bldgs, should that become a regulated requirement? #smartercity
- 9:01 AM smarterplanet - we have over 200 watchers on our scribblelive event page for #smartercity http://bit.ly/goIxV ^kr
- 9:00 AM markcleverley - #smartercity Klaus Wowereit (paraphrased) "smart" does not mean "expensive" – justifications are there to be found.
- 8:59 AM PaulHofheinz - Wolvereit: Can no longer build cities based only on motor transport. Must build "reasonable and meaningful" alternative in public transport.
- 8:59 AM PaulHofheinz - Klaus Wolvereit, Mayor of Berlin, says cities are place where innovation takes place. #smartercity
- 8:59 AM PaulHofheinz - Translation in French, German, Polish, Mandarin, Potuguese, Spanish and Dutch at #smartercity Shows truly international reach.
- 8:59 AM PaulHofheinz - More than 500 leaders from 30 cities join #smartercity summit in Berlin.
- 8:59 AM smarterplanet - RT @zoernert: Klaus Wowereit describes it as our task to leave the crisis stronger than before #smartercity ^kr
- 8:59 AM smarterplanet - RT @mattm54: Klaus Wowereit, no copyright for good ideas, can share and copy ideas from other cities, purpose of forum. #smartercity ^kr
- 8:59 AM smarterplanet - Why Berlin? End of the Wall, innovation and complex public systems form east and west integrated Martin Jetter #smartercity ^kr
- 8:56 AM zoernert - Klaus Wowereit mentions that Berlin has one of the best public transport systems. – The investments need to be seen not as an alternative to individual cars. In order to sort transport problems out expertise is required , energy and new concepts.
- 8:56 AM markcleverley - #smartercity Berlin has transformed since the wall, sure. But it has always been a place of cultural and industrial innovation.
- 8:55 AM thereyesreport - Talking about walls coming down at #smartercity – so many other virtual walls to overcome.
- 8:54 AM zoernert - Klaus Wowereit describes it as our task to leave the crisis stronger than before #smartercity
- 8:52 AM ragtag - Appears to me that the end of the wall is still full of emotion for people in Berlin M. Wowereit #smartercity
- 8:52 AM mattm54 - Mayor Wowereit says location of conference was a deserted area before fall of the Wall just 20 years ago.Amazing progress. #smartercity
- 8:51 AM thereyesreport - Berlin’s mayor enjoys having ibm for its business and its citizenship #smartercity and helpful employee citizens.
- 8:50 AM zoernert - 100 Mitarbeiter werden im Center in Berlin vorhanden sein #smartercity
- 8:50 AM PaulHofheinz - Translation in French, German, Polish, Mandarin, Potuguese, Spanish and Dutch at #smartercity Shows truly international reach.
- 8:50 AM smarterplanet - RT @mattm54: Klaus Wowereit, no copyright for good ideas, can share and copy ideas from other cities, purpose of forum. #smartercity ^kr
- 8:50 AM sandyberman - new analytics center in Berlin ! can’t wait to hear more about that! #smartercity
- 8:47 AM zoernert - Klaus Wowereit remembers to the old “Deutsche Holerid Maschinen GmbH” that was original located in Berlin and became IBM later on.
- 8:46 AM thereyesreport - Berlin selected to host first #smartercity event b/c of its past and for new plans for its future.
- 8:45 AM ragtag - Klaus Wowereit, Mayor of Berlin is now talking at #smartercity – live translation in the overflow room
- 8:45 AM coastw - Martin Jetter, our GM of Germany, just announced new analytics center to be in Berlin.#smartercity
- 8:44 AM zoernert - Martin Jetter is bringing Berlin as the location of the event in relation to the dynamic that was required within the last 20 years after the wall came down. And welcomes Klaus Wowereit the governing Major of Berlin.
- 8:41 AM smi1e_cat - #smartercity on visible tweets http://post.ly/vtV
[Remark: Visualisation of Tweets about Smarter Cities]
- 8:40 AM zoernert - 130 cities represented in the Smarter Cities Summit from all over the wold.
- 8:38 AM zoernert - Martin Jetter: “Cities are humanities biggest innovation” – “7 New Yorks are added to the planet every year”
- 8:35 AM mattm54 - IBM leader for Germany, Martin Jetter kicking off smarter cities forum. Talks about 20th anniversary of fall of Berlin Wall. #smartercity
- 8:35 AM andikopp2 - RT @mattm54: IBM leader Martin Jetter kicking off smarter cities forum. Talks about 20th anniversary of fall of Berlin Wall. #smartercity
- 8:35 AM zoernert - You are always welcome to join the conversation using the liveblog comment function or Twitter #SmarterCity
- 8:33 AM zoernert - Martin Jetter: “Conversation is what this forum is all about”
- 8:32 AM ragtag - transport problems caused #smartercity to start late – even more need for a #smartplanet
- 8:31 AM zoernert - For the first time in history more people living in cities.
Martin Jetter is opening Smarter Cities Summit 2009 in Berlin
- 8:24 AM markcleverley - #smartercity overflow room may need an overflow room…
- 8:24 AM coastw - Event about to start. Main tent is jam packed. #smartercity
- 8:23 AM SilviaEmilia - Charité hospital complex in Berlin is the largest university hospital in Europe and has over 3300 beds #smartercity #healthcare
- 8:23 AM coastw - Event about to start. Main tent is jam packed. #smartercity
- 8:16 AM markcleverley - #smartercity – doors open and this is very well attended…
- 8:09 AM AnnaSilvia - @ragtag how’s the feeling there ? #smartercity
- 8:03 AM ragtag - in the overflow room in Berlin, over 500 people showed for the #smartercity event here, very busy
- 8:02 AM thereyesreport - Three of us already in #smartercity overflow room.
- 7:57 AM chrkoester - Air pollution in Berlin has decreased since 1990, but Co2-Emissions caused by inner-city traffic up 12% #smartercity
- 7:53 AM zoernert - Geich startet das SmarterCities in Berlin. Liveblogging auf deutsch http://bit.ly/EYCYR und engl http://bit.ly/19yr6K #smartercity
- 7:52 AM ThePetra - asked 40 people what’s the worst thing about living in Prague. Most of them said traffic, congestions & lack of green space. #smartercity
- 7:44 AM chrkoester - If you put all cars licensed in Berlin together on one place, it had the size of 1740 soccer fields or formed a line of 7100 km #smartercity
- 7:44 AM SilviaEmilia - In the heart of Berlin, the electric power comp Vattenfall is operating one of the world’s most modern heating plants #smartercity
- 7:44 AM andikopp2 -
- 7:44 AM andikopp2 - Stockholm spotting.in Berlin ;) http://twitpic.com/86hip #smartercity (via @kafkaspice)
- 7:43 AM SilviaEmilia - A big day today: SMARTER CITIES get going in BERLIN and we have the first GreaterIBM get together in Hannover #smartercity #greateribm
- 7:42 AM wiwiking - the good news is that line 1 of the metro in Paris is going automatic by 2012 which should improve public transportation and #smartercity
- 7:42 AM PaulHofheinz -
- 7:42 AM PaulHofheinz - Backstage at #smartercity IBM’ s Mike Rhodin prepares to take stage. http://yfrog.com/0wusvj
- 7:42 AM carloit - Keep up to date about Smarter City concept #smartercity
- 7:35 AM chrkoester - If you put all cars licensed in Berlin together on one place, it had the size of 1740 soccer fields or formed a line of 7100 km #smartercity
- 7:30 AM chrkoester - In Berlin, 32% of all ways are done by bike or by walking, 27% with public transportation and 40% by car or motorcycle #smartercity
- 7:24 AM skoerble - #SmarterCity in Berlin http://twitpic.com/86hip
- 7:24 AM kafkaspice - I think that Stockholm is a pretty smart city. Safe, clean and good public transportations. #smartercity
- 6:53 AM smarterplanet - German Blog Post RT @jkoeber: smarte cities, metropolen im chaos http://bit.ly/h5bgY #smartercity
- 6:30 AM Rick Cole - Your Advertisement talks about a Smart Water policy in Gallway— not too long ago ie 2-3 years ago visitors, or residents couldn’t even drink the local water due to contamination—so I thought you should know that and possibly pick another city as an example for your ad.
- 6:26 AM andikopp2 - ..wow… there are currently 159 watcher of the live blogging stream from the #smartercity event in #Berlin www.scribblelive.com
- 6:17 AM cnygard - Participate via Twitter: Use Hashtag #SmarterCity
- 6:17 AM zoernert -
- 6:17 AM andikopp2 - #Hannover is at #48 :-) on the list of the largest cities of the EU by population within citylimits #smartercity bit.ly
- 6:06 AM thereyesreport - Just finished watching the latest #smartercity YouTube video – Worth the 8 mins if you’re wondering why I’m in Berlin.
- 5:44 AM adamclyde - Looking forward to the live blogging to begin of the Smarter Cities summit in Berlin in 20 minutes. http://bit.ly/7XKdK #smartercity
- 5:39 AM wiwiking - Guess first and see what are the largest cities in the European Union by population http://is.gd/1a256 #smartercity #europe
- 5:39 AM zoernert - Getting settled for liveblogging from #SmarterCity – However still struggle a bit with the kiosks :)
- 5:38 AM coastw - We will offer clients a tool and assistance to help them assess their "smartness" relative to other cities.
- 5:38 AM smarterplanet - RT @coastw: Expected attendance for our smarter cities event, starting in a few hours, now beyond 500. #smartercity ^kr
- 5:36 AM wiwiking - Guess first and see what are the largest cities in the European Union by population http://is.gd/1a256 #smartercity #europe
- 5:28 AM Benu - For developing countries like india and its cities traffic snarls are huge. The honking of horns, noise caused by vehicles are huge. Sometimes it get beyond the permissible limits. To control that there must be honking energy meter which calculates the amount of energy used while blowing the horns. We can set the monthly permissible limit based on type of vehicle, city, and other factors. If the vehicle crosses the limit they should charged for it.
- 5:15 AM Caroline Oates - Is there a live video feed to Berlin event?
zoernert: unfortunately not.
- 4:14 AM markcleverley - Martin Jetter gave a warm welcome – and pointed out how Berlin is a perfect city to represent transformation… #smartercity
- 1:57 AM markcleverley - http://tinyurl.com/kme6n5 – interactive map of Berlin "as was" for visitors #smartercity
- 2:25 PM markcleverley - Arrived in Berlin for the Smarter City conference. I’ll help run the public safety breakout – otherwise here to learn – #smartercity
- 9:24 AM Chintan - Chintan:I think that johannessburg needs to sort out its traffic problems ASAP – there is just too many cars around!
Answer You might want to check the transportation Breakout on Wednesday morning.
The economic growth of urban centers is dependent on the efficient movement of people, vehicles, freight and goods. These transportation systems have a huge impact on quality of life. At stake are a range of essential issues, from personal and economic productivity, to environmental sustainability, to social cohesion, to the ‘personality’ of a city. The discussion of transportation in a smarter city must encompass both the many modes of possible movement within a city, but also movement between the city and world around it. Planning holistically across a city’s entire transportation system will require a move beyond traditional solutions of steel, asphalt and concrete. Rather, integrating available and developing technologies—cameras, sensors, dynamic signage, signals, fiber optics, network connectivity and analytics—as vital elements of a smarter transportation system will be needed. This session will examine relationships across the entire system, including elements of other systems touched by it (supply chains, businesses, where and how people live and work, etc.) and how to create transportation systems that are adaptable, responsive, sustainable and economically sound.
- 5:43 AM smarterplanetfr - What would make Sydney or Bucarest a better, smarter city to live in? (QuickPoll Sydney) or (QuickPoll Bucarest)?
[Modified for LiveBlog]
- 5:16 AM Kevin - Kevin I would love to be able to get around a city by bike, rather than car. I hope smarter cities are more bike friendly.
zoernert: Maybe of interest for you are the two break out sessions on Wednesday morning about transportation and healthcare.
Christian:Paris has launched a self-service bike-hire system called Velib in 2007. They have terminals all over the city – best way to get around in Paris (in summertime only, though): www.en.velib.paris.fr
- 9:10 AM chrkoester - New Blog Post on IBM BlueBlog: “Warum die Metropolen dieser Welt mehr Intelligenz brauchen” http://bit.ly/WO0KK #smartercit|
- 6:51 AM SilviaEmilia - One week left: Watch IBM leading the conversation on making our cities smarter, Berlin 23.06 tinyurl.com #smartcity
- 6:49 AM smarterplanet - New post: Smarter Cities bit.ly
- 4:09 AM zoernert -
- 11:59 AM zoernert - A Planet of Smarter Cities PDF 922KB.
- 11:50 AM zoernert - In 1900, only 13% of the world’s population lived in cities. By 2050,
that number will have risen to 70%. We are adding the equivalent of
seven New Yorks to the planet every year.
- 11:29 AM zoernert - On June 23–24, in Berlin, IBM will host a unique gathering, SmarterCities, to explore how progressive cities are modernizing to spur economic development, drive greater innovation, transform for competitive advantage and meet the pressing demands of a more engaged and intelligent citizenry. This is the first of a series of SmarterCities gatherings hosted by IBM in collaboration with major partners across the globe.
- 11:26 AM zoernert - Live Coverage from the Smarter Cities event in Berlin.