Recent weeks have seen a significant peak in Smart Grid interest, much of which resulted from a speech about stimulus funds supporting Smart Grid development by U.S. President, Barack Obama.
It seems appropriate then to introduce readers of this blog to the Global Intelligent Utility Network Coalition, a group of innovative utility companies we formed two years ago aimed at accelerating the use of smart grid technologies. Collectively, the GIUNC collectively represents 100 million energy customers across five continents.
On Monday, November 16th, in partnership with Sempra Energy, we’ll be convening coalition members for the bi-annual meeting in San Diego to discuss progress, challenges and opportunities for Smart Grid development on both a local and global level. We’ll also be announcing two new members of the coalition.
We’ll be at the event capturing some of the conversations from speakers (see below) and will grab short video interviews from a number of attendees to probe deeper into the topics of most relevance. If you have a particular question you’d like us to ask participants, just leave a comment below. We’ll share the videos in the coming days.
For your reference, speakers at the event include:
- Mike Niggli, COO Sempra Energy
- Guido Bartels, IBM General Manager, Energy & Utilities
- Suedeen Kelly, Commissioner, United States Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Lisa Bicker, President and CEO, Clean Tech San Diego
- Byron Washom, Director of Strategic Energy Initiatives, University of California San Diego
- Steven Hauser, Vice President of Grid Integration, National Renewable Energy Lab
- Mason Willrich, Chair of the Board of Governors, California Independent System Operations
- Katherine Hamilton, President, Gridwise Alliance
- Brad Gammons, VP Solutions and Sales, IBM Energy and Utilities Industry
- Jens Jakobsson, Vice President Power Distribution, DONG Energy
- Terry Jones, Head, CSIRO Smart Grid Initiative, Smart Grid Australia DG Working Initiative
- Jim Avery, Senior Vice President Power Supply, San Diego Gas & Electric
- Arunabha Basu, Head of Technology, North Delhi Power Limited
- Don Cortez, Vice President Regulated Operations Technology, CenterPoint Energy