Using in silico modeling, Dr. Vodovotz is able to create images of liver inflammation and cancer that are similar to what might be seen under the microscope.

in silico modeling creates images of liver inflammation and cancer that are similar to what might be seen under the microscope.

At the University of Pittsburgh’s McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, researchers are using IBM technology to open up new dimensions in biological modeling. With the help of an IBM Shared University Research (SUR) Award and an IBM supercomputer, Pitt is using leading-edge in silico biological research, which uses computer simulations to explore biological pathways and test therapeutic interventions, tissue engineering, cell therapies and artificial organs and biodevices. The results of such research could significantly reduce the cost of new drug development and shorten the treatment evaluation process – getting treatments to the market faster and cheaper. These modeling techniques are similar to those used to generate the fantasy creatures of other worlds in movies, such as “Lord of the Rings” and the “Star Trek” series. So instead of creating an imaginary character to fill out a battle scene, Pitt scientists are applying computational techniques to simulate, for example, inflamed liver cells morphing into cancer. That allows them to see not only how tumors develop, but how drugs or other interventions could affect disease progression.

For example, the Pitt research team has simulated liver tissue to study how a chronic hepatitis infection can lead to liver cancer, lung tissues to study viral infection and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and skin to study how patients with spinal cord injuries develop pressure ulcers. This type of advanced modeling can help researchers better understand basic biological processes and allows them to screen drugs and determine their impact on the body to uncover the best interventions for a broad range of diseases.

For more info, read an interview with Dr. Yoram Vodovotz in the  Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Photo credit:  University of Pittsburgh Center for Inflammation and Regenerative Modeling

August 6, 2014

Hi! This is my first visit to your blog!
We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.

Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!

Posted by: http://www.tutaxiseguro.com/como-pedir-un-taxi-seguro-en-lima-peru

May 2, 2013

Check out my blog http://vienas.eu/ hope u will like it, as much as i liked yours.

Posted by: vienas

February 11, 2012

aren’t those biological experiments dangerous?

Posted by: kaipnumestisvorio

November 27, 2011

In this awesome design of things you actually get a B+ just for effort and hard work. Where exactly you actually confused me was first in the particulars. You know, people say, details make or break the argument.. And that could not be much more true here. Having said that, allow me say to you precisely what did work. Your writing can be pretty powerful and that is most likely why I am taking an effort to comment. I do not really make it a regular habit of doing that. Next, even though I can certainly see a jumps in logic you come up with, I am not certain of exactly how you seem to unite the details that make the actual conclusion. For right now I shall subscribe to your point however hope in the future you actually link your facts better.

Posted by: Moncler Down jacket

November 10, 2011

Thanks for informative post. I am pleased sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other similar posts just to find what I was looking for. Just I want to say: Thank you!

Posted by: Katherine

November 10, 2011

Can I just say what a relief to seek out someone who truly knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know easy methods to convey a problem to gentle and make it important. Extra people need to read this and perceive this facet of the story. I cant imagine youre not more fashionable since you positively have the gift.

Posted by: pacquiao vs marquez live streaming

October 16, 2010

I’m not sure I understand all the far-out simulation stuff but even being able to visualize the effects based on models of how an infection spreads in an organ is a great tool. Perhaps that is all the simulation is – simulating from a known model of how infections spread.

Posted by: David