Today I am beginning the installation of a solar energy system for my house. The aspect that is different in this system is how I will pay for it. I have thought about solar energy for a long time, however I have never had the appetite to invest the huge up-front cost of the system. When my electricity bill reached a new all-time high this past July here in Los Angeles, I decided to do a little research. With one search of Google using the search terms “solar lease California”, I simply called the first two companies that showed in the search results. I thought that leasing would provide a more attractive financial proposition than purchasing.

After a couple of phone calls to these two companies, I discovered an even more enticing program. I could simply have one of these companies install the system on my house and pay them for the power it generates. I wouldn’t pay for, lease, maintain, nor own the system. They would effectively become another electricity supplier that just happened to reside on my roof. The cash outlay was $1000 to pay for the permits and installation basics. Beyond that I will only pay for the electricity it generates. The cost per unit will be half of what the traditional electric company charges, the price is locked in for eighteen years with them maintaining the equipment, and any extra energy that the system generates that I don’t use, goes back into the grid and I get a refund on my traditional bill. This is a completely turn-key program that I didn’t need to do a thing to participate, including securing the permits, etc. This program sounds pretty good!

So, today the crew began the installation. It will take a few days to get done and then I will be part of a greener community of people around the world! Be sure to talk to the solar energy provider in your area to see if they will offer a similar program.

Now, I need to to convert my cars to hydrogen and them I will truly be the Smarter Consumer!

Please let us know what you’re doing to be a smarter consumer!

October 23, 2014

Marvelous, what a web site it is! This website presents useful information to us, keep it up.

Posted by: onlinecasinosites.us

April 11, 2012

Well, to update this original post just a bit, I have installed a solar system on a second house in Los Angeles. I moved from the other house and went with the same solar provider that now has a promotion that is ZERO $$ up front out of pocket. That’s right, for no money up front, the company installed a 7kwh system on my roof. I simply pay a monthly fee which is about 1/3 the price of my old electricity bill. Seems like a “no brainer” to me. Great feeling to have my electric meter spin backwards and make money as I send power back to the city’s grid.
Life is good, indeed.

Posted by: Ralph Jacobson

April 11, 2012

That information is a little outdated. Would you mind doing a little update for us?

Posted by: seo optimizavimas

February 7, 2012

well, since the country I live in is many years behind in technology people only now find that they need to sort garbage at least for 3 types. I do look like a crazy man here cause I through paper to paper containers and bottles to glass containers. Nobody cares here. But I do.

Posted by: eterinisaliejusplaukams

February 6, 2012

Thanks for sharing, eterinis aliejus plaukams! I’ve put solar on a second home and it took no money up front, just a monthly bill. Please feel free to share more of what you’re doing to be “green”. Also, please tell us about your website link. Is this a company you own or work with?
Thanks!

Posted by: Ralph Jacobson

February 6, 2012

I’ve been living my life “green” for 5 years now

Posted by: eterinis aliejus plaukams

November 10, 2011

I found your weblog web site on google and check a couple of of your early posts. Continue to maintain up the superb operate. I just extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. In search of forward to studying extra from you later on!…

Posted by: pacquiao vs marquez live streaming

February 15, 2010

Robin,

I don’t know the company’s marketing region, however here in California SunRun has provided me with the service: http://www.sunrunhome.com/

Posted by: Ralph Jacobson

February 15, 2010

Ralph could you pass on the energy company’s name. I would like to talk with them.

Posted by: Robin

January 19, 2010

We don’t have those kinds of solar systems where I live, so conservation is the most important way to save energy.

Posted by: Aleta

January 18, 2010

Kristina O’Regan, thanks for the thoughts! Please tell us about the “Eco-Jam”.

Posted by: Ralph Jacobson

January 18, 2010

Way to go with solar power as sun would be a major resource we don’t have much of in Ireland or its a bit rarer. However, wind and wave energy are being looked at over here in a big way. Well done on taking the solar plunge. Sounds like a great system. Will you be taking part in the Eco-Jam?

Posted by: Kristina O'Regan

January 14, 2010

I agree, Amanda! That’s why I ride my bicycle daily! ;-) http://rottweiler508.blogspot.com/

Posted by: Ralph Jacobson

January 14, 2010

You could make your cars green right now by not driving them.

Posted by: amanda