telecoppt
The following is a guest post from Eric Riddleberger, Strategy and Transformation Leader for IBM’s North American Communications Sector.

In the coming days, the FCC will deliver its National Broadband Plan to Congress — a plan of action to ensure all Americans have access to broadband. At IBM, we believe broadband access is a fundamental building block for regional economic development and agree with the FCC that it should be a national priority [see WSJ op-ed]. According to research firm IDC, 71 million U.S. households (60.9%) were able to access broadband by the end of 2009, but incredulously, 46 million U.S. households (39.1%) are still without.

For the nearly 40 percent of Americans that have no high speed Internet access today, the prospect of gaining access means not only connecting to the rest of the world, but making those things urban Americans take for granted possible: things like shopping online, working from home, and researching medical care options.

But consumers aren’t the only ones that will be impacted by proposed broadband legislation. What will universal access to broadband mean for the telecommunications industry?

IBM surveyed over 8,000 consumers and 60 senior executives from more than 40 communication service providers globally to examine how the industry should evolve in the next five years in the wake of increased competition in the service provider community.

The findings:

Fixed telephony will all but disappear in the next decade. Mobile broadband will come of age. The ways in which people communicate are shifting from point-to-point and two-way conversations, to many-to-many, collaborative communications.
This shift is fundamentally changing the way people and businesses around the world communicate, share information, and drive progress.Consumer usage of so-called “fixed voice telephony” (such as land lines still used in some homes) will decrease by 95% in the next 5-10 years; Consumer usage of mobile/wireless broadband will increase by 98% in the next 5-10 years.

The new mandate:

Pervasive broadband infrastructure will be a powerful source of new jobs and economic growth, due in large part to the telecommunications industry’s long-term investments in new services and business models that provide a constructive way to address a variety of public challenges, including healthcare, education, homeland security and workforce/economic development. For example, house-bound patients can be monitored by their physicians via Web-enabled devices that track heart or blood sugar rate.

The ways the telecommunications industry must prepare:

1. Prioritize customer experience investments. Of those service providers surveyed, 61 percent plan to invest more in customer and network analytics, enabling them to deliver more personalized customer experiences, reduce churn and better manage costs by understanding customer behavior, anticipating their needs, and analyzing usage patterns to improve operational efficiencies. Consumers stated they chose providers based on three factors: Cost (75%), Network (70%) and Service (58%).

2. Promote open platforms and ecosystems; they must provide universal access to all types of devices. Of those surveyed, understanding that ubiquity is key in the next decade, 70 percent believe an interaction model that allows access to content with any device (PC, TV, phone, etc.) from any provider will prevail.

3. Invest in, and support the development of, applications outside of the consumer space, driven by increased inter-connectivity and universal broadband access.

IBM provides products and services that create, deliver and manage new telecommunications, digital media and Internet-based services smarter, faster and at a lower cost. For example, through online electronic health records, remote monitoring of vital statistics and on-demand transmission of patient data, medical facilities and patients alike are finding that broadband can help save time, money and lives – especially when the communications infrastructure is extended to rural areas that aren’t served by a local hospital or clinic.

Realizing the potential of smarter communication technology will require the infusion of new capabilities and models into our systems to make it easier for devices to transmit and interpret data, provide more secure connections, and protect identities. The telecommunications industry is in a position to lead, by participating in the national dialogue, and taking important steps to extend the reach and application of broadband infrastructure for Americans.

October 30, 2014

Hi! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs!
Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts!Carry oon the superb work!

Posted by: online paid survey

October 30, 2014

Why users still make usse of to read news papers when in this
technological world the whole thing is available on web?

Posted by: Hermelinda

October 23, 2014

I really like what you guys are up too. This sort off clever wrk and coverage!
Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve added you guys to blogroll.

Posted by: Tegan

September 6, 2014

I really like reading through an article that can make men and
women think. Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

Posted by: ขายบุหรีไฟฟ้า

August 25, 2014

Well, this is very well written post but I find little frustration while opening this site on Internet Explorer. Apart from that the three ways of preparations which you have shared here in this article is really cool.

Posted by: BigV Telecom (@Yocc_BigV)

August 1, 2014

Extremely exciting critique

Posted by: Alexander Jordan

July 30, 2014

Terrific object, I loved the earpiece not working android part

Posted by: Audrey Torres

July 17, 2014

Great critique, I enjoyed the electronics shopping center bit

Posted by: Avery Murphy

June 28, 2014

Be sure to get more than one quote so you can take time
to compare them and go through each one thoroughly. You are the
only one will be hurt by this, so there is no reason not to be honest.
Then the company has to design the magnet and reply with a proof for
approval.

Posted by: best moving companies in dallas

June 28, 2014

Hey there would you mond stating whgich blog platform you’re working with?

I’m goinhg to start myy oown blog ssoon but I’m having a difficult
timje selecting bettween BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
The reason I aask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
P.S Sorry ffor gettig off-topic but I had to ask!

Posted by: Eugenio

June 6, 2014

She is happy to stay in her Bjorn looking out at the world around her for
long periods and I can comfortably carry her for hours.
If you’re on an austerity budget, you can get pampered by the pool
with a foot massage in the comfort of your lounge chair’all for an affordable $55.
‘This package is perfect for a multitude of travelers, from lifelong Lakers fans to a couple looking to experience an excellent sporting event in an exciting environment.

Posted by: magazine

August 7, 2013

Thank you, I have just been looking for information approximately this topic for ages and yours is the best I’ve came upon so far. However, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you positive about the source?

Posted by: cheap home decor

August 1, 2013

Hey there, You have done a great job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this website.

Posted by: Emotional Health

August 1, 2013

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem together with your web site in internet explorer, might test this¡K IE still is the market chief and a large part of other folks will pass over your great writing due to this problem.

Posted by: family fun

July 28, 2013

There are definitely lots of particulars like that to take into consideration. That may be a nice level to carry up. I supply the ideas above as normal inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up the place a very powerful factor shall be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged round issues like that, however I’m positive that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys really feel the affect of only a second�s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

Posted by: Diego Mathelier

July 27, 2013

Good post. I learn one thing more challenging on different blogs everyday. It is going to always be stimulating to learn content material from different writers and observe a bit one thing from their store. I�d want to make use of some with the content material on my weblog whether or not you don�t mind. Natually I�ll give you a hyperlink in your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Lan Burdge

July 27, 2013

Once I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any manner you’ll be able to take away me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Nancey Alambar

July 24, 2013

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This post posted at this web site is
really good.

Posted by: Korekcja stóp u dzieci

July 24, 2013

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to seek out any person with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thanks for beginning this up. this web site is one thing that’s wanted on the internet, somebody with slightly originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the web!

Posted by: Raye Heckart

July 24, 2013

Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It is going to always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a bit something from their store. I�d desire to use some with the content on my blog whether you don�t mind. Natually I�ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Kaitlin Finland

July 23, 2013

After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any method you possibly can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Marcus Kizzie

July 22, 2013

Once I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any approach you may take away me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Dollie Coltrin

July 21, 2013

I�d need to examine with you here. Which isn’t one thing I usually do! I enjoy studying a submit that will make people think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

Posted by: Demetra Gruninger

November 10, 2011

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet.

Posted by: military electronics

September 16, 2011

I just couldn’t leave your site prior to suggesting that I really loved the usual information an individual supply in your visitors? Is going to be again ceaselessly in order to check up on new posts

Posted by: sears carpet cleaning

October 16, 2010

As with all legacy utilities, they tend to stick around for a long time unless people are forced to change. I doubt that everyone will change to more expensive services (e.g. smartphones) unless there is actually a need. And with legacy services becoming commodity (i.e. cheap), it will be another reason for people to hold on. I don’t see landlines disappearing (or decreasing 95%) in the next 5 to 10 years.

Posted by: David

October 8, 2010

One company who is doing this is Vocera Communications. The Vocera wireless communication system works over an 802.11 networked system, has voice activated badges, iPhone and Blackberry applications, and their own smartphone. Enabling workers to contact their team whenever and wherever they need to. It’s currently designed to work in Healthcare, Hospitality and Educational environments, but can easily be adapted to other industries.

Posted by: Wireless Communication

March 30, 2010

I seriously doubt that landlines will decrease by 95% in the next 5 to 10 years. That percentage is too high. Mobile/wireless broadband, however, is likely to increase far more than 98% in the next 5 to 10 years. I believe that percentage could come only from sources outside the wireless industry. If you were to take the average usage on Clearwire’s wimax usage and factor in subscriber gains for the next 10 years on their network, add in AT&T’s and Verizon’s LTE plans, and I think you’ll have usage that’s many, many, many times what it is today.

Posted by: Craig Mock

1 Trackback

February 28, 2010

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by SmarterTelecom: Three ways the telecom industry must prepare for the U.S. broadband plan: http://bit.ly/bT7oSD

Posted by: uberVU - social comments