IBM’s global startup competition ‘world tour’ called SmartCamp kicked off in Bangalore on April 27 and just finished up in Austin. Next up is Barcelona and New York City. While slots for Barcelona are now full, there are still openings in the New York City leg of the competition. You should apply now if interested as slots will fill up quickly as the June 3 deadline approaches.
Here are five tips to help you get in:
1. Help build a smarter planet: Review the smarter planet constructs of Instrumented (think smartphones in people’s hands or sensors on things or laptops, etc.), Interconnected (think Internet or intranet or any form of network) and Intelligent (think analytics to help deal with loads of data) and see how you can fit your product, service, or solution into those. For more information about Smarter Planet, click here.
2. Fit your solution into the enterprise: Many startups find that they start with a consumer product, but can also find a very viable enterprise solution. If your solution isn’t focused on the business enterprise, see if you can find an enterprise use for it. You might be surprised to find out there actually is an enterprise solution.
3. Touch on a current hot topic: Hot topics are: analytics, government, education, healthcare, energy, utilities, transportation and social business. Analytics applied to any of these topics is a big one – it adds the intelligence into the solution.
4. Review previous finalists and winners: Check out the Austin finalists and winners and the Bangalore finalists and winners to get a feel for what the judges are looking for. Also, check out a few of last year’s entries and winners: Streetline was last year’s World Champion. Treemetrics and Sproxil are also good to look at. And to review all of last year’s finalists, click here.
5. Apply now for NYC : With NYC next up, the deadline for applications is June 3. So hop to it! The slots fill up quickly and waiting until the last day might be too late. Procrastinate on your taxes, but not on SmartCamp.