nano MRSAThe rise of drug-resistant bacteria is looming as one of the major threats to public health across the globe. Already, it’s a mortal danger to patients in hospitals and nursing homes. As more and more microbes emerge that are capable of fending off antibiotics, our ability to fight infectious diseases will be diminished throughout society. But help is on the way—from the field of nanotechnology. And the fix could have huge implications for the future of health care.

Nano Ninja “stabs” Evil Microbe

Scientists from IBM Research-Almaden in San Jose, Calif., and the Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology in Singapore are collaborating to develop a new way to kill bacteria. It’s a polymer nano-structure that is designed to defeat everything from Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), which is running wild in nursing homes, to bugs causing tuberculosis and lung infections. The material can also be used for wound healing and in consumer products like deodorants and mouthwash. “We envision endless applications,” says Dr. James Hedrick, the organic materials scientist who is the lead inventor on the project.

The team has been working on the technique for four years and unveiled their breakthrough on April 3 in the peer-reviewed scientific journal, Nature Chemistry.

The scientists are cautious about their claims, since they still have to prove that their technique and materials will be effective on humans and affordable. But Robert Allen, senior manager of Almaden’s advanced materials chemistry department, believes the invention could eventually have a huge impact. “Penicillin is a good analogy,” he says. “This could be a medical turning point on that scale. It could give the fight against evil organisms a brand new weapon.”

The scientists have nicknamed their invention the Ninja Polymer. That’s because of the way it kills germs. Their tiny polymer molecules have the ability to identify microbes by sensing their electrical charges, self-assembling into nano-structures, attaching to the microbes, and, essentially, stabbing them so they break down and die. Because the attacks are physical, bacteria are unable to evolve and develop resistance to them. The polymers are attracted only to infected areas while leaving untouched healthy cells. And, unlike most antimicrobial polymers, these are naturally eliminated from the body rather than accumulating in organs.

This is a great example of the power of collaboration. The IBM scientists specialize in chemistry. Making use of lessons they learned from the semiconductor field, they designed the antimicrobial polymers and are developing a technique for mass producing them at low cost. Meanwhile, the scientists at IBN specialize in biology and genetics. They study how the nanostructures interact with cells and the human body.

The two organizations have begun talking to pharmaceutical, medical supply and consumer products companies about commercializing the invention in a variety of markets. Hedrick and Allen estimate that it could take just two to three years to bring it to market for surface wound healing, but it might require five years or more for injectable products to arrive.

In the meantime, think about this: Ninja Polymer vs. Evil Microbes, the movie.

August 17, 2015

I really like reading a post that can make men and women think.
Also, many thanks for allowing me to comment!

Posted by: Grosir Tas Import

June 22, 2015

When someone write an paragraph he/she retains the thought of a user in his/her brain that hhow a user can be awaare oof it.
Therefore that’s why this piece of writing is outstdanding.
Thanks!

Posted by: Reinaldo

April 24, 2015

Nie zabrania się dziś dokonywania przelewów związanych wraz z działalnością
gospodarczą z rachunków założonych dla osoby cielesnej.

Posted by: Lorri

February 13, 2015

Remarkable! Its actually amazing piece of writing, I
have got much clear idea on the topic of from this article.

Posted by: Grosir Tas Branded Online

February 4, 2015

)Do you seriously want to take your Visalus home business to a new level.
This isn’t the only reason that we know Vi – Salus isn’t a scam; the product
is real, and it’s backed by real research in nutrition too.
7 million which was up $ 110 million compared to the
year previous.

Posted by: javita

January 28, 2015

I’m asking simply because I’m attempting to design a cooling mod and I’d like to get some
feedback from other launch model owners.

Posted by: Exclusivelyforcharterers.com

December 19, 2013

This is the suitable blog for anyone who needs to seek out out about this topic. You understand so much its virtually exhausting to argue with you (not that I truly would wantHaHa). You undoubtedly put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

Posted by: Adam Kern

December 16, 2013

I�m impressed, I have to say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a weblog that�s each educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you will have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the problem is one thing that not sufficient persons are talking intelligently about. I’m very joyful that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for one thing regarding this.

Posted by: Zachary Shum

July 30, 2013

The ideas listed here is quite interesting worthwhile. I have been taught quite a few strategies.

Posted by: tree pruner

July 28, 2013

You made some first rate factors there. I seemed on the web for the problem and located most people will associate with along with your website.

Posted by: Dorothy Cabell

July 24, 2013

I found your weblog site on google and test just a few of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the very good operate. I simply additional up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Searching for ahead to studying extra from you later on!

Posted by: Kristle Angelos

July 24, 2013

I found your weblog web site on google and test just a few of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the superb operate. I simply extra up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Searching for ahead to studying extra from you in a while!

Posted by: Quiana Bongo

October 14, 2011

I enjoyed IBM Scientists Put Nanotechnology to Work Against Drug-Resistant Bugs | A Smarter Planet Blog WOW!. One of favorite posts of all time.

Posted by: Nanotechnology Universe

April 7, 2011

Nanotecyh at it’s best. Lets hope it allows all Anti Biotics to be washed diown the drain with the Phar companies asap.

Posted by: Marcus

April 4, 2011

Great work in a new scientific field in the hope of creating a super polymer to fight drug resistance bugs.

Posted by: Lingam