By Carmen Medina
Deloitte Consulting
Former director, CIA Center for the Study of Intelligence
A speaker at THINK: A Forum on the Future of Leadership, in New York City today

medinaAs we seek to build a smarter planet, a smarter government, smarter cities, and smarter communities, we need to take advantage of the new ways of sensing and knowing. And we need to develop and deploy the new technologies for sensemaking on their own terms rather than trying to force them to fit with our previous ways of doing things.

This strikes me as the great challenge of this century, particularly since new technologies will keep coming at us  at faster and faster rates. The contest is not between competing camps of knowledge workers or between us and the machines that we construct. Instead, the contest is between the reality we have and the future we might attain, and sensemaking will be one of our most important aids in making progress.

So our future depends on the ability of leaders to transform the organizations they lead as quickly and effectively as they absorb powerful new technologies–and in sync with the capabilities of those new tools.  I recognize that it will surprise people to hear this, but sensemaking is in fact the primary mission of the Central Intelligence Agency. Before I retired from the agency last year, I had spent almost 32 years in its myth-shrouded corridors trying to make sense of the world. I feel quite blessed for having had that experience. My career spanned the Cold War, South Africa’s apartheid policy, America’s dominance of world affairs, the rise of terrorism and the emergence of a new, more complex age in international relations—the period we are living through today.

And yet despite those momentous transitions and transformations, I think the one that was the most important and arguably will have the greatest impact going forward was the dramatic change I witnessed in knowledge work. What was knowledge work like when I started at the CIA in 1978? Back then, we had no desktop computers. We wrote longhand on yellow legal pads, or pecked away on typewriters.

But within 5 years of my arrival there, the computer revolution had arrived. Of course these weren’t really computers as we know them today; just terminals attached to a mysterious mainframe none of us analysts understood. I was part of a pilot team that was testing strange new machines with Graphical User Interfaces that never quite operated as advertised. But even then I could see the potential in these new devices.

For CIA analysts the most revolutionary consequence of the computer revolution was that we no longer have to fight with each other to see the one physical copy of some important piece of information. We can share.

Before computers we would visit these mysterious rooms in the building where the printouts were stored. If you were an ambitious analyst, you actually wanted to make the mail run because on your way back to the office you could scan the available intelligence and, by virtue of having read the information first, be the analyst who wrote up or briefed the intelligence to policymakers. And that was what knowledge work was like before we had collaboration.

Today knowledge work is so different from when I started that it hardly seems the same discipline. Although knowledge workers still read for understanding, the real advantage no longer goes to the person who reads something first, but rather to who can first detect the salient patterns in huge volumes of information drawn from many sources. And because there is so much information, the concept of the individual knowledge worker slogging her way through a stack of musty papers is not just antiquated, it’s dangerous. Only boundary-less teams of analysts, assisted by the very best smart software and hardware, can hope to make sense of the complex world we now live in.

The last 15 years or so of my career at CIA were devoted to trying to manage and accelerate this transition to what I called digital analysis. This transition was made difficult by the fact that many knowledge workers were attached to ways of doing business that, when they were developed 50 years ago, were often just arbitrary adaptations to the technology available at the time. For example, I would often ask analysts why they thought the production of short papers was the defining output of knowledge workers. For me the answer was simple. The only item you could produce from those old manual typewriters—the cutting edge technology of the 1950s–were sheets of paper. And yet here we were, 50 years later using infinitely more powerful computing machines to produce the very same product.

Today’s tools for deriving meaning from information and experience are sophisticated indeed. Now we need to do a better job of integrating them not only into our organizations but into the way we think about ourselves and our creativity.

December 20, 2013

Can I simply say what a reduction to search out somebody who really is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know the way to carry a difficulty to gentle and make it important. Extra folks must learn this and perceive this facet of the story. I cant imagine youre no more in style since you positively have the gift.

Posted by: Mathilde Alessio

December 19, 2013

I�m impressed, I need to say. Actually not often do I encounter a weblog that�s each educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your concept is excellent; the difficulty is one thing that not sufficient individuals are talking intelligently about. I’m very joyful that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for one thing referring to this.

Posted by: Gwenda Blackwelder

August 5, 2013

I’m also writing to make you understand what a remarkable discovery my daughter experienced browsing your web site. She noticed so many issues, with the inclusion of what it’s like to have an amazing giving heart to have certain people with no trouble master selected hard to do subject areas. You actually surpassed readers’ desires. Many thanks for providing the important, trustworthy, revealing as well as cool thoughts on your topic to Evelyn.

Posted by: automobile rotisserie

August 3, 2013

I wish to express appreciation to you just for bailing me out of such a dilemma. After scouting through the online world and getting techniques that were not powerful, I figured my entire life was well over. Living devoid of the solutions to the problems you have resolved as a result of your article is a critical case, as well as the ones which may have in a wrong way damaged my career if I had not come across the blog. Your good competence and kindness in playing with all the details was useful. I’m not sure what I would have done if I had not come across such a subject like this. I can now relish my future. Thank you so much for the reliable and results-oriented help. I will not think twice to propose the blog to any person who needs to have assistance on this matter.

Posted by: Protein Diet

August 2, 2013

You really make it seem so easy together with your presentation however I find this topic to be really one thing that I think I’d never understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely large for me. I am looking forward on your next publish, I¡¦ll attempt to get the cling of it!

Posted by: natural dog food

August 1, 2013

fantastic submit, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector don’t notice this. You must proceed your writing. I’m sure, you have a huge readers’ base already!

Posted by: seed food processor

August 1, 2013

Wonderful paintings! This is the kind of info that are supposed to be shared around the internet. Shame on the seek engines for no longer positioning this put up upper! Come on over and talk over with my website . Thank you =)

Posted by: cool gadgets

August 1, 2013

hi!,I love your writing so much! share we communicate more about your post on AOL? I require a specialist in this space to unravel my problem. May be that is you! Having a look ahead to look you.

Posted by: Luxury Travel

August 1, 2013

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely fantastic. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a great web site.

Posted by: engine optimization victory

July 31, 2013

I must express thanks to you just for bailing me out of this particular predicament. Just after searching throughout the online world and coming across views that were not powerful, I was thinking my entire life was done. Living devoid of the solutions to the difficulties you have resolved all through your main article is a serious case, as well as the kind that might have adversely affected my career if I had not come across the website. Your actual talents and kindness in maneuvering every item was invaluable. I’m not sure what I would have done if I had not come upon such a point like this. I can at this point look forward to my future. Thank you so much for the expert and sensible guide. I will not hesitate to refer the blog to anybody who should receive guide on this subject matter.

Posted by: improvement home security

July 31, 2013

Excellent website. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you to your sweat!

Posted by: Fashion

July 25, 2013

There are definitely numerous particulars like that to take into consideration. That may be a nice level to carry up. I supply the ideas above as normal inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up the place a very powerful factor shall be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged round issues like that, however I’m positive that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys really feel the affect of only a second�s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

Posted by: Joleen Hitzel

July 24, 2013

I was very pleased to find this web-site.I wanted to thanks in your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

Posted by: Rogelio Patras

September 29, 2011

[...] while you are at it, I would also like to point you in the direction of a recent blog entry that she put together at the Building a Smarter Planet blog under the heading “[...] On the [...]

Posted by: E L S U A ~ A KM Blog Thinking Outside The Inbox by Luis Suarez » IBM THINK Forum – Optimism, Outrageousness and Smart Sense-Making on Leadership

September 20, 2011

[...] out my guest blog post on IBM’s Smarter Planet blog.  http://asmarterplanet.com/blog/2011/09/10766.html Share [...]

Posted by: On CIA, typewriters, and sensemaking | RecoveringFed