Posted by
Guest in

Post feed

RSS 2.0

Rashid_Davis

by Rashid F. Davis

Research informs my perspective on teaching and learning, and the numbers speak for themselves. Wages for men without high school diplomas have declined 66 percent since World War II, while the chance that they will ever have any job at all is down 23 percent. Even for those who finish high school and go to community college, as many as 93 percent fail to complete their two-year degrees after six years of struggle. And one wonders why students who require remedial work in science and math even register at all, as ninety-nine percent may fail to complete even their first semester.

Of course, the story doesn’t end there. Unemployment among the poor and undereducated is far higher than the national average, and persists even during “good times.” There are at least two reasons for this:

• The majority of good American jobs require some form of post-secondary education or training; and
  • As a cultural institution, the corporate workplace – where most of the good jobs are – operates on middle class values and behaviors.

As a result, young people from difficult circumstances must overcome the dual challenges of getting an education and navigating unfamiliar waters to move from poverty to meaningful, long-term employment. My job is to make that happen.

In Brooklyn, N.Y., teacher Tanya Spence (right), Principal Rashid Ferrod Davis (left) and IBM Citizenship Vice President Stanley Litow prepare for a class at Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-TECH), a new type of school sponsored by IBM that helps students attain the skills for careers in the technology industry. The new school, which opens on September 8, 2011, is a collaboration between IBM, the New York City Department of Education and the City University of New York. IBM is helping develop the teaching curriculum and providing individual mentors for every student. (Bob Goldberg/Feature Photo Service for IBM)

I lead the new Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-TECH) in Brooklyn, New York. P-TECH is a grade nine through 14 STEM Pathway institution that confers both the high school diploma and an Associate’s degree in technology at no cost to the student. P-TECH is designed to prepare its graduates with a rigorous education in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) subjects plus the real-world skills of the corporate workplace. To do that, we’ve had to create a new educational model – reaching across various divides to civic, community, and corporate partners on behalf of our children.

P-TECH is the result of a collaborative effort among the New York City Department of Education, The City University of New York, the New York City College of Technology, and IBM. The school’s academic program centers on challenging classes, longer days, and a longer school year. But P-TECH also will immerse its students in “real-world” learning, courtesy of the IBM mentors assigned to each student and teacher, and to me. I will be mentored by both an IBM business leader and someone from the New York City Leadership Academy (NYCLA). In turn, I will coach a principal mentee from NYCLA to complete the cycle of teaching, learning, leadership, and research.

Relationships

As an educator, I want to shepherd my students through their transitions from members of what the Harvard Pathways to Prosperity study calls “the forgotten half” to personifications of potential. That means understanding who they are, where they’re coming from, where they need to be, and – most importantly – how to reach them. As a Principal, I need to lead my faculty by example – helping them to understand our mission, apply the latest research, and serve as role models for our students’ success.

Finally, as a student of education research, I am anxious to observe our finest principles put into practice – the preparation of our young adults “to lead productive and prosperous lives.” I am also excited to witness the birth of a new model for American public education. This model is characterized by collaboration among educators, students, parents, communities, and employers, and a focus on relevant job skills. It is informed by leading-edge scholarship. It is repeatable and scalable to serve communities across the nation where change is desperately needed. The P-TECH model is not just about being successful, it’s about being significant. Our children deserve nothing less.

Rashid F. Davis is the founding Principal of New York’s Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-TECH). Mr. Davis was formerly Principal of the Bronx Engineering and Technology Academy (BETA), which was recognized by U.S. News & World Report and Newsweek as one of America’s best high schools.

April 7, 2014

I know this website offers quality dependent articles or
reviews and additional stuff, is there any other web page which gives these kinds of things in quality?

Posted by: Charlotte Olympia USA

March 26, 2014

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up.

The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Opera.
I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility
but I thought I’d post to let you know. The design look great though!
Hope you get the problem fixed soon. Many thanks

Posted by: forum.telecelu.com.pt

March 25, 2014

cheap watches replica
I’ll immediately seize your rss as I can’t find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service.
Do you have any? Please let me know in order that I may just subscribe.

Thanks.

Posted by: cheap watches replica

March 24, 2014

These are truly wonderful ideas in concerning blogging.
You have touched some good things here. Any way keep up wrinting.

Posted by: Dr Dre Beats

March 23, 2014

Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working
with? I’m looking to start my own blog in the near future
but I’m having a difficult time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.

The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different
then most blogs and I’m looking for something
unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

Posted by: teen patti poker cheat

March 23, 2014

I’ll immediately take hold of your rss as I can’t in finding your e-mail subscription
link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any?
Kindly allow me know in order that I may subscribe.
Thanks.

Posted by: Christian Louboutin Boots

March 22, 2014

Fine way of explaining, and nice article to take facts concerning my presentation subject matter, which i
am going to convey in university.

Posted by: Charlotte Olympia Cat

March 22, 2014

If some one desires to be updated with newest technologies then he must be pay a visit
this web page and be up to date every day.

Posted by: Monster Beats

March 22, 2014

If some one wants to be updated with most recent technologies afterward he must be go
to see this site and be up to date every day.

Posted by: GHD Straighteners

September 27, 2013

Mr. Rashid Davis. Your commitment to helping all children reach their true
potential is no surprise to Family & Friends. Keep up the good work,

Posted by: Julia Davis

May 31, 2013

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
I’m quite sure I will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

Posted by: sumo deadlift or conventional

January 29, 2012

I am really amazed with your blog. The posts really are interesting and highly useful. I will place a web page link on my personal blog.God bless!

Posted by: Doctorate of occupational theraphy

January 3, 2012

It to bad we don’t have more educators with passion like Rashid. This is a trait that is becoming short in supply.

Real Estate IDX

Posted by: John Galt

October 11, 2011

Mr. Davis,

You are a real trend setter! Your love for our students, your motivation and knowledge base have made this possible and these three, plus the support from all stakeholders will guarantee success. Congratulations!!

Posted by: Rosemarie Appleton

September 30, 2011

My brother Rashid. All the best to you and your school. Keep pushing for excellence in teaching, learning and citizenship.

Posted by: Derek J. Smith

September 27, 2011

Rashid
Your goals and aspirations for your students mirror your own — achievement through hard work, perseverance, and believing in yourself. I look forward to working with you and your P-TECH students and staff via the CCNY Petrie Math Institute. Grace Julian

Posted by: Grace Julian

September 9, 2011

Mr Davis, once again you are leading the way for our students by giving them access to new and innovative learning. We need champions such as yourself to keep motivating our students to succeed on a higher realm. Your advvocacy also includes enlisting the the support of like-minded individuals and corporations to make your ideas come to life. I witnessed your success at BETA High School in the Bronx and am sure that you will succeed in graduating more at-risk youth, majoring in academic areas that are not typical of studernts from our communities. Congratulations!

Posted by: Michelle A. Danvers Foust

September 8, 2011

Way to go Rashid! Best of everything to you, your staff and your very lucky students.

Posted by: Deirdre DeAngelis

September 8, 2011

Congratulations, Rashid and your team. Great news about innovation — and collaboration — that matters. May it inspire other school districts and companies to follow in the footsteps of the NYC Dept.of Education, The City University of NY, the NYC College of Technology and IBM and launch similar schools.

Posted by: Sean Gresh

September 8, 2011

I have personally witnessed so many wonderful things that Mr. Davis was able to make happen while being the principalof BETA, and I have no doubt that he will continue in the same vein at PTECH. He is driven to make sure that each student succeeds.

Posted by: Donna Jack

September 8, 2011

I couldn’t be any more excited for this opportunity for my son. What a blessing….thx Mr.Davis for all your hard work and determination thus far

Posted by: Kerschelle Gall

September 8, 2011

Posted by: Kerschelle Gall

September 8, 2011

I couldn’t be any more excited for this opportunity for my son. What a blessing….thx Mr. Rashid Davis for all your hard work and determination thus far and to come.

Posted by: Kerschelle Gall

September 7, 2011

I am so very PROUD of Mr. Davis!!!
Sending you all my very best

Posted by: Richard E. Pelzer II

September 7, 2011

Truly inspirational and may God continue to grant you that innate desire that you possess to make a difference in our future leaders.

Posted by: Sonia

September 7, 2011

Breal a leg Rashid!

Posted by: Charles Gallo

September 7, 2011

Good luck to you all on this very important initiative. SPecial thanks to IBM for leading the way on this.

Posted by: Robert Hughes

March 10, 2014

[…] Crossing the “Great Divides” to Save Our Children […]

Posted by: P-TECH: Where We Are Now | Citizen IBM Blog

July 12, 2012

[...] engineering and mathematics (STEM) learning in the United States. Joining me on the panel was Rashid Ferrod Davis, founding principal of New York’s Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-TECH). As [...]

Posted by: Exploring Public-Private Partnerships in STEM Education | Citizen IBM Blog

April 2, 2012

[...] to meet the teachers who would be helping shape their education. We also were fortunate to meet Principal Rashid Ferrod Davis who demonstrated his commitment to his students and to P-TECH’s mission with a moving [...]

Posted by: A Continuing Relationship: One Mentor’s Story | Citizen IBM Blog

January 25, 2012

[...] Crossing the “Great Divides” to Save Our Children [...]

Posted by: IBM’s Partnership for Employment-Focused Education | Citizen IBM Blog

January 19, 2012

[...] fascinated me was how the program is providing guidance and support to help these young people negotiate their transition into our country’s middle class and integrate themselves into a larger community beyond their current geographic and psychological [...]

Posted by: “Shared Value” in the Non-Profit Sector | Citizen IBM Blog

December 6, 2011

[...] Crossing the “Great Divides” to Save Our Children [...]

Posted by: It’s Time for Education 3.0: Public-Private Partnerships to Align K-12, College, and Careers | Citizen IBM Blog

November 21, 2011

[...] utilizes a rigorous curriculum matched with skills required for the workplace to give students what principal Rashid Davis terms “a solid foundation in algebra and literacy.” P-TECH also provides each of its students [...]

Posted by: Degrees Remain Elusive for Most Community College Students | Citizen IBM Blog

November 14, 2011

[...] the associate degree they’ll receive along with their high school diplomas. The school has a visionary principal, a dedicated faculty, and a remarkable 100% attendance rate. Read what Ethan has to say about [...]

Posted by: Volunteerism and Citizenship: One Mentor’s Story | Citizen IBM Blog

November 7, 2011

[...] in the technology industry. I’ve had the privilege of mentoring P-TECH’s principal, Rashid Davis, and have seen first-hand the excitement and hope that he and the school have inspired in the new [...]

Posted by: How Private-Public Partnerships Can Lead Through Innovation | Citizen IBM Blog

November 2, 2011

[...] class, their teachers and their mentors. But if P-TECH’s remarkable 100% attendance rate, the inspired leadership of the school’s principal and teachers, and the dedication of IBM’s volunteer mentors is any indication, those years will [...]

Posted by: Volunteering at P-TECH: One Mentor’s Story | Citizen IBM Blog

October 27, 2011

[...] and faculty from New York’s Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-TECH) explored the IBM THINK! exhibit at Lincoln Center as participants in a guided lesson plan. [...]

Posted by: Brooklyn P-TECH Students THINK! « Blog

October 4, 2011

[...] in partnership with The City University of New York and the New York City College of Technology. New York’s P-TECH opened this fall, and will confer both the high school diploma and an Associate’s degree in [...]

Posted by: A “Smarter” Chicago to Link Education to Jobs | A Smarter Planet Blog

September 14, 2011

[...] than 80% come from low-income families, according to a Wall Street Journal article. In a recent blog post, Davis makes an argument for importance of the type of education and type of opportunity that [...]

Posted by: IBM’s New High School Opens in New York | MindShift