Posted by
Guest in

Post feed

RSS 2.0

VQuan HeadshotBy Vincent Quan, Associate Professor, Fashion Merchandising Management Department at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT)

I had the opportunity to participate in an informative and lively dinner panel hosted by IBM for the retail press in the Big Apple last Wednesday.  Joining me on the panel were Nihad Aytaman, director of Business Intelligence at Elie Tahari, IBM Global Retail Industry Leader Jill Puleri, IBM Retail Analytics Leader Michael Haydock and IBM Enterprise Marketing Management Executive Director John Squire.

A few takeaways from the dinner:

• A fundamental shift has been taking place in retail – power is shifting from the retailer to the consumer through the use of technology.  However, retailers are working hard to maintain, and even grow, market share.  Customer satisfaction is a main focal point.  Now, there are multiple touch points to reach the consumer (through personalized promotions, mobile websites and social sites like Facebook).
  • Although e-commerce is posting huge comps (YOY) versus their brick and mortar counterparts, mobile devices are not driving the sales.  Size of screen and limitations on mobile content are some of the primary challenges. When shopping for a fashionable dress from Elie Tahari, or the latest in technology on a site like Amazon.com, the typical cell phone screen just doesn’t cut it. Not surprising, in a “statistically insignificant” but real poll taken of my students (who are Gen Z “trendsetters”) only 8.3% actually use their smartphones to shop.
  • Social is becoming a powerful player in the retail space. According to a global survey by IBM, up to 84% of consumers rely on their social networks when researching new products.  When buying online, shoppers coming from a social network convert at 2x the rate of other non-social network channels.

While the majority of what we hear about the economy is gloom and doom, retail sales look like they’ll be fairly healthy this season according to Mike Haydock, who predicts, using decades of Census data and analytics technology, that jewelry sales will be up ( +7.7% Nov. 2011 vs. Nov. 2010 and +4% YOY for December). Clothing and health & beauty categories will also be strong this year, according to Mike.

Another “statistically insignificant” but real poll conducted on my students at FIT yielded a slightly more conservative outlook on shopping habits for the holidays – slightly higher than LY but the poll was based on “holiday gifts.”  Economic uncertainty, including an employment rate remaining fixed at 9.1% for September, announced layoffs of 30,000 at Bank of America, a tumultuous stock market, issues with European debt, and recessionary worries have prompted the response from my students.  The speed at which information flows faster than the aftershocks of the recent earthquake on the East Coast demonstrate that technology is a “game-changer”.  News and information are fast and furious…

August 7, 2013

My spouse and i felt really ecstatic when Jordan managed to do his studies via the precious recommendations he received out of the web site. It is now and again perplexing just to be giving out thoughts that many men and women have been making money from. And we also realize we need you to appreciate for this. All of the illustrations you made, the simple site navigation, the relationships you make it possible to promote – it’s got all terrific, and it’s really letting our son and the family feel that this theme is entertaining, which is seriously serious. Many thanks for everything!

Posted by: automobile camera system

August 5, 2013

The information and facts at this site is completely effective informative. I have discovered a large number of pointers.

Posted by: garden shears

August 4, 2013

I relish, result in I discovered just what I was looking for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

Posted by: cheapest rental cars

August 2, 2013

Thanks for your own efforts on this web page. Kate take interest in carrying out research and it is simple to grasp why. I know all regarding the compelling medium you convey useful tips and tricks via your web blog and even improve participation from others on this idea plus our favorite daughter is certainly learning a great deal. Enjoy the rest of the new year. Your performing a really good job.

Posted by: am categories beauty

August 2, 2013

Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue with your website in web explorer, might check this¡K IE nonetheless is the market chief and a good part of other folks will miss your excellent writing due to this problem.

Posted by: those web hosting

August 1, 2013

whoah this blog is magnificent i love reading your posts. Stay up the great work! You realize, a lot of people are looking around for this information, you could aid them greatly.

Posted by: Fitness

August 1, 2013

hello!,I love your writing so so much! percentage we be in contact more about your post on AOL? I need an expert in this space to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Having a look ahead to see you.

Posted by: beneful dog food

July 28, 2013

The following time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, however I really thought youd have one thing attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you may repair in the event you werent too busy in search of attention.

Posted by: Larisa Lynds

July 27, 2013

I�d should verify with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a publish that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Posted by: Samual Maddux

July 26, 2013

There are definitely a variety of particulars like that to take into consideration. That may be a nice level to carry up. I supply the ideas above as normal inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up the place a very powerful factor shall be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged round issues like that, however I’m positive that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys really feel the affect of only a second�s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

Posted by: Quincy Makris

July 25, 2013
July 24, 2013

Can I simply say what a aid to seek out somebody who truly is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know tips on how to convey a problem to mild and make it important. Extra individuals have to learn this and perceive this aspect of the story. I cant consider youre no more standard since you undoubtedly have the gift.

Posted by: Odis Kirchhoff

February 8, 2012

ed on “holiday gifts.” Economic uncertainty, including an employment rate remaining fixed at 9.1% for September, announced layoffs of 30,000 at Bank of America, a tumultuous sto

Posted by: ゴヤール