October, 5th 2011
16:50

At IBM, we’re optimistic about the capacity for new technologies to help make cities work better. We don’t tend to dwell on the potential negatives and unintended consequences. Yet, surely, there are drawbacks. Privacy is a concern. So are the views of the community where new systems are tried out. So is the fidelity of the data that’s being tapped to make cities more efficient and effective.

I was reminded of this tension between aims and consequences at a panel, Information and the City, presented today by Forbes magazine at its New York City headquarters. Two of the panelists, Adam Greenfield, founder and managing partner of Urbanscale, a New York consulting firm focused on designing user-centered services for cities; and Laura Kurgan, director of the Spatial Information Design Lab at Columbia University, sounded the alarm about the rush to harvest oceans of data from monitoring the human activities and infrastructure of cities. “So much of what’s being done is technology driven,” said Greenfield. “We need to step back and ask if it’s in the best interests of the people and society.”

The third panel member, Rod Smith, vice president of new Internet technologies for IBM’s Software Group, agreed, saying  that smart cities projects need to be approached with great sensitivity and sophistication. “We have to make the applications much better,” he said. “It’s not, ‘Here’s the data. You figure it out.’ We have to make the data work for people.”

Used wisely, data mining can be a transformational tool. Here, Smith talks about emergency response authorities tapping social media to help deal with emergencies:

YouTube Preview Image

At the heart of the frictions highlighted today is the power struggle that has always existed in cities–pitting the ambitions of municipal leaders against the desires and interests of some of their citizenry. The conflict is best illustrated by the contrast between the approach to urban development put forth by Robert Moses, who reshaped New York City in the mid-20th century with his roads, bridges, airports, and public spaces; and Jane Jacobs, the radical of urban planning who insisted that the citizens, communally, should shape the scapes in which they live. Both pioneers are dead now, but their debate lives on.

It’s top down (Moses) vs. bottom up (Jacobs) The widespread use of sensors, networks and analytics raises the stakes.

June 3, 2015

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your next post thank you once again.

Posted by: pompes

December 20, 2014

І comment each time I aρprediate a post on a site or if I have something to valuable to contribute to thе conversation. It’s a result
of the passion displayed inn the poet I browsed. And on this article The (Avoidable) Downside of Βig Data

Posted by: www.sgarant.ru

September 30, 2014

Hey I knlw this is off topic butt I was wonderig iff you knew of any widgets I could add to my blo that automatically tweet myy newest twitter
updates. I’ve been loking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping
maybe you would have some experience with something like this.

Pease let me know iif you run into anything. I tuly eenjoy reading your blog and I lokok forward to
your new updates.

Posted by: go to website

September 23, 2014

However, sometimes we need to do something a little more adventurous, or perhaps a
little more pointedly self-serving. Though plastic surgery gives results quicker than other
means but you need to have patience. Vanity is when you have something taken care of because you want everyone to
notice and look at you.

Posted by: body image

September 23, 2014

You will probably recognise some or all of
these as some as used more than others with very great success
in carp baits:. Methods for baiting a hook – Step 5: Use them for fishing.
You can then take your armored vehicle and cash it in at a chop shop, creating a nice little criminal spree combo.

Posted by: marine refrigerator trike conversion trike conversion kit for

September 18, 2014

Envision him happy and fulfilled experiencing with his team a victory this Sunday.

The excellent packing is necessary to move the goods safely to the new location. I think i – Pad
would be the most wonderful X-mas gift this year. However, if they are susceptible,
then try to get a feel for how the client thinks that the
contractor has performed – even if he or she makes some criticisms then finish
by asking what good points the contractor has. Mission Viejo homeowners can enjoy the
many companies that will sometimes even offer a
free estimate, and sometimes may have a referral discount as well.
Large open space in the back of the truck leaves plenty of space for objects to fall out of place and get beat against each other, but there’s
a simple solution to this problem, and it is to set
the cargo bar of bars around the loading area of the vehicle
in order to hold items in place. Many of these companies offer
on-site shredding services with the help of mobile California document shredding trucks.
They have taken up the steps to make the clients outsource to them.
We are repairing and installment different types of gates
suchlike Actuation Steel State Doors, Mercenary Coiled Grills for much than 10 age.

You must know what the data corruption is and how it occurs.

Posted by: best filipino movers in toronto

September 7, 2014

Yet he chose to ask me so many questions about how and why
I do things, because he could see the profound insight I had built up due to going my own way with my own research and testing over the past 7 years.
I have been using products from Newfields Baits for
a while and their green lipped mussel extract is simply amazing.
The exception to this rule is when fishing structure, there will always be a calm spot behind structure that cat
fish rest in and it will be natural for your bait to settle in this area.

Posted by: marine refrigerator rigid foam insulation panels

August 18, 2014

Louis, Missouri, and maintains a network of 1,000 affiliated agencies in 135 countries around the world.
The equation is the other way around and long distance movers would not be ideal for
local moving jobs. Arts, sports, music, and fun have
given a new face in town.

Posted by: storage units brooklyn ny 11231

December 13, 2011

Excellent thanks for the information and put the video

Posted by: Antonio Cabrerro