64,000+ tons waste are collected from NYC streets weekly. Do you know what happens when it leaves your curb?

Charged with the efficient management of solid waste, New York City’s Department of Sanitation operates 59 district garages and manages a fleet of 2,022 rear-loading collection trucks and 450 mechanical brooms. Each week, approximately 64,000 tons of household and institutional waste are collected. In 2009, the average truck collected 9.9 tons of refuse and 5.6 tons of recyclables per shift. But public awareness of what happens to that trash once it leaves the curb is limited. So, to shed some light on the journey from trashcan to landfill — past, present and future — Urban Omnibus talked with Elizabeth Royte, author of the 2005 book Garbage Land, who offers a snapshot of how New Yorkers have treated their trash from the 18th century onwards.

The immense distances trash travels (and the amount of cost and energy used to transport, transfer, recycle, incinerate or dump it) pose obvious questions about how we expend environmental resources in support of our country’s vast consumption practices.

Visit Urban Omnibus, an online project of the Architecture League of New York, to view the City of Systems film series which offers a poetic peek behind the scenes of some of the complex systems that enable New York City to function.

The series is made possible by IBM as part of its commitment to use technology and information to help build more sustainable and intelligent cities.

June 28, 2013

Why, yes. It’s call junk removal toronto. Only, it’s only the majority learn to stop living off of garbage, literally as if they were and are garbage will we stop treating our lives, living spaces, neighbors and world as garbage.

Posted by: Brandon Stone

January 16, 2013

This was a really cool article to read! Thank you for the video as well! One of my friends owns a business that does junk removal in Toronto, but I really don’t know what he does or what happens to the junk! Thanks for posting this. It was very informative!

Posted by: Derek

April 18, 2012

I like your post thanks for post

Posted by: waste disposal london

March 7, 2012

POPULAR MYTH: Green buildings cost more. (Hint – they don’t.) If you’re about to stop reading and skip to another article, stick with us – this is a crucial point: green buildings don’t cost more.

Posted by: forex trading strategies and systems

March 6, 2012

to be honest, no. I dont think about it, but it does not stop me from sorting glass, plastic and paper.

Posted by: kaip numesti svorio

December 29, 2011

Great post. So many don’t know what happens to their waste after it is left to the curb. People also don’t know what should be included with their regular trash and what they should call a junk removal crew for. Junk removal crews can be very helpful and easy to use. I’ve started using a junk removal company more often so I know that they are doing the best they can to make sure everything is removed properly.

Posted by: The woodlands junk removal

December 8, 2011

Vineeta, thank you for your post. More and more, efficiency is important as individuals, communities, countries in a global economy. I have seen access to recycling grow in cities, at my grocery store, in my county with one big blue bin I wheel out to the curb. I feel good and it is easy. I also like the idea that I am creating a job or helping to keep one, futhering the opportunity and business of waste management. My daughters sing from school…

“It really isn’t garbage ’til you mix it all together.
It really isn’t garbage ’til you throw it away.
Separate your paper, plastic, compost, glass and metal
Then you get to use it all another day.” …

Good to teach waste management at such a young age. Good for them, good business.

Posted by: Lisa Hopkins