Kerrie Holley wasn’t shocked when he viewed the poor neighborhoods of New Orleans with their derelict buildings and empty lots. He had grown up in a poor section of Chicago in the 1960s. But the lingering evidence of a city ravaged by Hurricane Katrina combined with the optimism and determination of the people reinforced his resolve to help them fulfill the city’s potential. “I hope people will see it as one of the great cities in the world and that more people will migrate there,” he says.

Holley was a member of a team of five IBMers who spent three weeks in New Orleans in September as part of the company’s Smarter Cities Challenge program.  New Orleans leaders had asked for an assessment and advice on how to use technology to make the city run better. The IBM team responded with a package of recommendations for how the city can better gather, integrate and manage information about everything from crime statistics to city services. They delivered the formal report to New Orleans this week.

YouTube Preview Image

New Orleans has made great strides in its comeback. For instance, the city moved up 44 positions in the ranks of MarketWatch’s Best Cities for Business for 2011, from last place to 33rd. The economic indicators are improving: the city’s unemployment rate beats the national average, personal income growth is high and growth in economic output is above average.

Yet the city’s information technology systems still lag way behind those of most major American cities. Mayor Mitch Landrieu and his staff recognize that fact, and their challenge for the IBM team was to help the city integrate information from its many departments. Today, all of the city’s information is stored in separate technology silos and is hard to access. As a result, if Landrieu is walking in a neighborhood and gets questions from residents about city services, it’s difficult for him to respond with detailed answers.

Holley, who is an IBM Fellow and is chief technology officer for the company’s worldwide application innovation services, felt quite comfortable with this task. He and his IBM colleagues recommended the design of a system that would give the city managers a single view of each citizen and an integrated view of the city’s key service indicators.

In a city with a reputation for past mismanagement and lingering public corruption, the system also needs to make all of the city government’s activities more transparent and to be able to track performance of managers and departments.

The team called for the creation of a mayoral dashboard that will allow Landrieu to track the performance of the city on a near-real-time basis by viewing key indicators represented graphically on a computer screen–and even on his mobile phone.

For Holley, spending three weeks in New Orleans was an intense experience. The team worked seven days a week and lived together in a B&B in one of New Orleans’ neighborhoods. They met with a host of city leaders from government, academia and community organizations. “It was an invigorating experience. It was like a roller-coaster ride that we didn’t drop off until the last day,” he says.

Early on, when Holley toured the city and people told him about how the neighborhoods had once looked, he felt like he was peering back in time. Now he feels that he’s looking toward the city’s future.

July 20, 2016

Your mode of describing everything with this part of writing is the truth is pleasant, every one be capable of easily understand it, Thanks a great
deal.

Posted by: NaomiXLemert

August 1, 2013

I must express some thanks to the writer for bailing me out of this particular scenario. After looking out throughout the search engines and seeing ways which were not productive, I figured my entire life was well over. Existing minus the solutions to the difficulties you have resolved by means of the posting is a serious case, and the ones that would have badly affected my entire career if I had not discovered your site. Your competence and kindness in handling all the details was helpful. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t come upon such a point like this. It’s possible to at this point relish my future. Thanks a lot so much for the professional and amazing guide. I won’t hesitate to suggest the sites to anyone who wants and needs guidelines on this matter.

Posted by: Travel Packages

July 27, 2013

hello!,I really like your writing so a lot! percentage we be in contact more approximately your post on AOL? I need an expert in this house to unravel my problem. Maybe that’s you! Looking ahead to see you.

Posted by: Cheap Airline Tickets

July 22, 2013

There are actually quite a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That could be a great point to deliver up. I provide the thoughts above as basic inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you deliver up where crucial thing might be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around things like that, but I am certain that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impression of just a moment�s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Rodrigo Keaffaber

July 21, 2013

That is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You understand a lot its virtually exhausting to argue with you (not that I truly would needHaHa). You undoubtedly put a brand new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

Posted by: Samuel Meineke

June 19, 2013

It’s really a good and also useful piece of data. I am just content for you to contributed this beneficial facts here. Remember to stop us well informed such as this. Thank you for discussing.

Posted by: Forex, Forex software

September 12, 2012

We can only hope and pray that it will never repeat again

Posted by: interjero dizainas

March 7, 2012

POPULAR MYTH: Green buildings cost more. (Hint – they don’t.) If you’re about to stop reading and skip to another article, stick with us – this is a crucial point: green buildings don’t cost more.

Posted by: forex trading strategies and systems

February 17, 2012

that was a terrible hurricane. I hope people are recovering.

Posted by: naturali kosmetika ir kosmetinis aliejus

February 17, 2012

I am glad those people are doing fine

Posted by: Forex Learn Trading

December 30, 2011

Kerrie-

What alternatives were not selected by the city? I can imagine several org units need a dashboard as well.

Thanks

Posted by: Jacquelyn

December 17, 2011

So some how its more appropriate or valid when “outsiders” say it???

The neighborhood leaders of New Orleans have been saying this for years…. now.

We just want to be able to interact with City Hall to get basic service requests logged, tracked and completed.

Mayor’s Dashboard. When will the City wake up to the fact that it’s not about the mayor…. It’s about how these basic city services are provided… What I see in the Mayor’s Office is a whole lot of overhead and not much change in how things really work.

We don’t need a dashboard. We need the ENGINE to RUN!!!

Posted by: Nola

August 7, 2012
December 16, 2011

[...] New Orleans’ Comeback: Six Years After Katrina, Tech to Help the City Run Better [...]

Posted by: The New Orleans Challenge: Transforming a Cosmopolitan City | Citizen IBM Blog