Back in 1992, when I was the technology editor at the San Jose Mercury News, I wrote in a note attached to the annual Silicon Valley 100 report that Silicon Valley was “a state of mind” rather than a narrow geography. I was thinking that it was a San Francisco Bay Area thing rather than exclusively a Santa Clara Valley thing. Well, today, it’s a global thing.

That reality hit home with me today at the IBM SmartCamp Finals in San Francisco. The winners of nine regional contests conducted last year have gathered here to compete this week to be the global winner of the contest, which offers participants loads of advice from venture capital and business experts and a shot at media attention. These companies came from all over: India, Romania, Israel, Ireland, Spain, China, Brazil, and, yes, the United States–including an outfit, SecureWaters, from Soddy Daisy, Tennessee. Which helps prove my point. These days, a Silicon Valley experience can happen practically anywhere. (Oh, by the way. The “Irish” company is led by a guy from the Ukraine and two guys from Belarus.)

Some of last year's winners

To be sure, the US still gets the lion’s share of venture capital investment–$28 billion last year compared to about half that for the rest of the world. But leading venture capital firms long ago set up satellite offices in China, India and elsewhere, and James Breyer, a top VC at Accel Partners, is crawling all over Brazil these days looking for hot startup investment opportunities.

The Silicon Valley experience has globalized along with everything else. Capital, knowledge work, the innovative spirit and the drive to build a great company and change the way things are done are spreading around the world like water–finding the spots were they can be most effectively put to good and profitable use. Think of it as Virtual Silicon Valley.

One thing that characterizes the new global entrepreneurs is their approach to markets. Rather than concentrating on their home country exclusively during their startup phases, they see the world as their market right from the get go. BitCarrier, a Barcelona-based company that tracks the movements of people and cars real time through mobile Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals emitted by mobile devices, has engagements underway in Europe, South America and the United States. It’s racing to get at least small scale implementations of its technology underway in many cities before competitors can gain toeholds.

Over the next couple of days, the leaders of the nine IBM SmartCamp finalists will get a strong offering of feedback and advice from some of the most knowledgeable investors in the world. Only one company can be the official winner, but the other eight will go back to their home countries all the wiser, carrying with them that Silicon Valley state of mind. “Here, there are no boundaries. Things go mad and crazy. The only limits are your imagination,” says Ronald Zhang, president of Palmap, a SmartCamp finalist from Beijing. “We want to  bring the spirit of entrepreneurship back with us to China.”

September 21, 2016

Excellent blog you’ve got here.. It’s hard to find excellent writing like
yours nowadays. I truly appreciate people like you!
Take care!!

Posted by: Monte

September 11, 2016

Hi there terrific blog! Does running a blog similar to this take a large amount
of work? I’ve virtually no knowledge of computer programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the
near future. Anyway, if you have any ideas or tips
for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject nevertheless I simply needed to ask.
Appreciate it!

Posted by: maid 4 cleaning

September 10, 2016

Excellent post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this
subject? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
Many thanks!

Posted by: pre arranged funeral plans

September 10, 2016

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources
back to your blog? My blog is in the very same niche as yours and
my visitors would truly benefit from some of the
information you present here. Please let me know if this
ok with you. Appreciate it!

Posted by: new jersey window & gutter cleaning

September 10, 2016

Thanks for any other excellent article. The place else
may just anybody get that kind of info in such an ideal approach
of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m
on the look for such info.

Posted by: Edna

September 8, 2016

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s both equally educative and interesting, and let me
tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something which too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
I’m very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for
something concerning this.

Posted by: Latonya

September 8, 2016

Greetings I am so thrilled I found your webpage, I really found you by accident, while I was searching on Google for
something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just
like to say many thanks for a incredible post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at
the moment but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent jo.

Posted by: Demetrius

September 2, 2016

Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my web site thus i got here to return the prefer?.I am attempting to in finding things to
enhance my site!I guess its adequate to make use of some
of your ideas!!

Posted by: Fabian

August 28, 2016

Have you ever considered publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?
I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and would really like to
have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would value your work.
If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Posted by: מנעולן באזור בית שמש באזור בית שמש

August 28, 2016

Has advanced competence in international finance, which
includes theory for portfolios, pricing of derivates, CAMP- and index
models, credit risk, efficient markets and hedge funds.

Posted by: Victorina

August 27, 2016

We should be cautious even though picking a locksmith, as we will need
a skilled that will be ready to securely safe our treasured items.
In addition, you might need to have an electronic key replaced and a locksmith can also perform this service.
Make sure you clean your face thoroughly before
moisturizing.

Posted by: מנעולן חירום בפתח תקוה

August 25, 2016

With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or
copyright infringement? My blog has a lot of unique content I’ve either authored myself or
outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any methods to help protect against content
from being ripped off? I’d really appreciate it.

Posted by: Danielle

August 17, 2016

Normally this control panel comes expensive, but HostGator has it
as an addition in every considered one of their plans.

Posted by: Hostgator Coupon Options

August 17, 2016

Since Hostgator is that the main web internet hosting company, many of us have a
tendency to appear for a couple of coupons so as to urge
the most effective internet internet hosting service.

Posted by: Margie

August 16, 2016

I have read so many posts regarding the blogger lovers except this article is in fact a
pleasant article, keep it up.

Posted by: חופונים אישורי הגעה

August 15, 2016

You’re so interesting! I don’t suppose I’ve read a single thing like that before.
So good to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject.
Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This web site is something that is needed on the web, someone with some originality!

Posted by: www.youtube.com

August 14, 2016

Thanks for every other magnificent post. The place else may anybody get that type of information in such a perfect
manner of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and
I’m on the look for such information.

Posted by: funeral memorial

August 14, 2016

I appreciate, result in I found just what I used to be looking for.
You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day.
Bye

Posted by: what is A funeral director

August 14, 2016

What’s up Dear, are you really visiting this site daily, if so after
that you will without doubt take good know-how.

Posted by: Wendi

August 12, 2016

Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my web site thus
i came to return the want?.I am attempting to to find things to improve my
site!I assume its adequate to use some of your ideas!!

Posted by: Www.Youtube.com

August 11, 2016

I used to be suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether or not this publish is written by means of
him as nobody else understand such special approximately my difficulty.
You’re amazing! Thank you!

Posted by: מערכות אבטחה

August 11, 2016

We should be cautious even though picking a locksmith,
as we will need a skilled that will be ready to securely
safe our treasured items. They are very inexpensive and can be
found at your local department or hardware store. Only the pins and tumblers of the locks are replaced, thereby invalidating existing keys.

Posted by: פריצת פלדלת פתח תקוה

July 18, 2016

Hi there this is somewhat of off topic but I was wanting to
know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by: מנעולן באזור ירושלים באזור ירושלים

July 18, 2016

We should be cautious even though picking
a locksmith, as we will need a skilled that will be ready to securely safe our treasured items.

service. This is one of the miracles an auto locksmith can perform.

Posted by: טכנאי מנעולים בפתח תקוה

July 10, 2016

I was very pleased to find this site. I need to
to thank you for ones time just for this wonderful read!! I definitely appreciated every bit of it and I
have you saved as a favorite to check out new things on your web site.

Posted by: אישורי הגעה לחתונה

June 5, 2016

You should be a part of a contest for one of the greatest
websites on the web. I will highly recommend this site!

Posted by: Maurine

February 12, 2016

There is an overwhelming volume of chart indicators available, a very good
forex course will help you see the wood for the trees
by picking a handful of key indicators to use to recognize trading
signals.

Posted by: Kellie

November 21, 2015

I do alot of intricate stitching and to be capable
to use each of my hands and nevertheless pivot the fabric is priceless.

Posted by: www.slideshare.net

October 10, 2015

Exactly, but what we have completed through our years of evaluating these supplements is help you in your own analysis.

Posted by: nzt pill malaysia

August 18, 2015

USAA Bank delivers competitive credit card goods to military
members, veterans who have received an Honorable discharge, and their eligible loved ones members.

Posted by: https://Musicbrainz.org/user/kaputpants74

August 14, 2015

To avoid harm to furniture or counter tops, do not spot the
diffuser on stone, painted, stained or lacquered surfaces without a protective tray.

Posted by: phalcospices.com

August 13, 2015

These aerial components of the plant are steam-distilled to get the blue-colored tansy essential oil.

Posted by: Salvatore

June 19, 2015

Kumdo is taught working with ‘juk do’, which
is a four-split bamboo sword, and ‘ho goo’, meaning the head and body gear.

Posted by: Deborah

June 13, 2015

Tips On How You Could Potentially Combat Diabetes mellitus

Posted by: diabetes revenge review

June 13, 2015

Tips About How You Could Potentially Fight All forms of diabetes

Posted by: Wiley

May 28, 2015

%first_paragraphAs part of the Centennial celebration, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip visited the province from May 23 to May 25 of 2005. Although Edmonton is the capital it is Calgary that is the most populous and has the largest metropolitan area. Alberta was named after Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. The capital City of Alberta is Edmonton. Located in Western Canada Alberta is a province of approx 3 million people. Alberta celebrates 100 years as a province in 2005.

Prescription medications, even minor surgery, are also on the list of things this specialist is authorized and highly- trained to do. They can also prescribe contact lenses, eyeglasses and other reduced vision assistance.

They go to medical school and then do a residency purely relating to the eye. For example they can deal with diseases that affect the cornea and other exterior parts of the eye. These doctors are able to do a number of procedures that an optometrist cannot. They also have training in how to properly perform transplants or corrective surgery. An ophthalmologist does all of the things that an optometrist does but they are in fact medical doctors. From the eyelid to the cornea they can address diseases and infections. After their residency they sometimes opt to do subspecialty training.

If you or a family member is in need of the services of an optometrist to address your eye care need, you can receive personalized, optimum care through an independent optometrist’s network. Whether your need is an annual eye exam, need medical attention for your acute vision problem, or just want to change eyeglass styles, this network system makes it simple to find what you need. Using this type of network will allow you to find a doctor that is right for you.

No matter what you have in mind, if you turn to the companies that are partners with Alberta AMA, you will be able to get a much better price for the same policy than if you try to close a deal on your own. But one of the best parts of being a member of the Alberta AMA is that you will get the best deals on the insurance you want for your car.

Apart from this, you will get a lot of other discounts and deals with other vendors on the market. If you want to go for a full package, you can turn to the CAA Plus RV membership and thus you will be able to get all the perks named in the Plus package, but you will add motorhomes and trailers to the vehicles and motorcycles the other will cover.

After all, once you’ve lost your eyesight, it’s nearly impossible to regain. If you are experiencing any eye difficulties, or if you just want to maintain the sight you already enjoy, you can visit one of these eye specialists with confidence. But, it’s nice to know there are trained people who can help us avoid that.

Posted by: Francis

May 17, 2015

%first_paragraphLethbridge Dentists are excellent in this business and if you are a inhabitant of Lethbrodge or somehow can manage a trip over there you can get thorough follow up of this disease. Dentists are those doctors who deal with teeth and tooth related problems. So, if you are suffering from tooth decay or plaque you can expect through check up of your problem and right way of medication. That is why dentists especially Lethbridge dentists are considered as best in this world so far.

So, it is very ideal for an optometric clinic to have two or more optometrists sharing the workload. An optometrist who collaborates with other contemporaries can expect to work somewhat less, since working alone needs extra time at the end of the day or week in order to attend administrative responsibilities and paperwork. Typical optometrists Indianapolis IN has work forty hours a week, all complete with standard holidays and vacations.

Most prominent dentists have all the information related to their services and contact information available on their website. This would save time for the doctor and the patient as well. It is always important to make an appointment for a visit to the dentist.

The various aspects to be considered while setting up a counselling centre, includes people work there. The various resources that can be made available to students, and the procedure of career counselling. The variation in establishment comes when the centre is in a university, in a college, in a technical school, or in any other higher education facility.

Homeopathy involves using natural oils and products to get the brain stimulated with better responses to various elements of the body. It is a type of mind over matter to help someone who is in pain to feel very little pain or none at all. The very best of treatments are offered at both facilities.

Hundreds of millions of people worldwide have eye diseases or conditions and the number is growing as our population increases and ages. While many people think of eye exams and prescriptions for glasses or contacts when they think of eye doctors, these doctors treat patients with a wide range of medical conditions including cataracks, glaucoma, macular degeneration, and other retinal diseases. Eye doctors play an important in our society.

Call centers are facilitated to provide various cost efficient services. This is an important function for cell centre, which needs to call for skillful persons and its imperative to hire technically sound persons who can offer optimum solutions. To face the challenges of advanced technology and to serve satisfaction of customers we need to have dedicated significant resources to as to solve customer queries . The increase in use of technology now a day in about every business contract has necessitated sound technical customer support services.

Giving legal advice and offering correct judgments can only be handled efficiently by a person who is well-aware of the intricacies of law. Thus opting for Lethbridge Law Firm services serves to be the right answer in order to tackle all legal issues.

Additionally, technicians sometimes take on billing processes and correspondence, maintaining and ordering supplies, and scheduling appointments. Once you have graduated from a vocational Optometry and Ophthalmic Technician School, you will be qualified to take on responsibilities of customer service, adjusting and repairing frames, verifying prescriptions, obtaining patient histories, and maintaining patient charts.

Lethbridge Law Firm not only specialize in the above mentioned cases, but also they cover other areas of legal aspects such as mediation and dispute resolution. These are mostly applicable for handling family problems or marital issues. Lethbridge Lawyer are widely preferred as they perfectly understand client requirements and delivers appropriate solutions keeping in mind the client

Posted by: Vonnie

May 14, 2015

I do not leave a leave a response, however I browsed
some of the remarks here IBM SmartCamp Finals: Silicon Valley is Now a Global
State of Mind

Posted by: איך פורצים מנעולים באזור הוד השרון

May 7, 2015

E-commerce seeks to add income streams employing the Web to build and enhance relationships with consumers and partners.

Posted by: emails stuck In Outbox

March 27, 2015

Yung last fight ni MAYWEATHER, walang 1 Million buys un”.

The restaurant boasts an appropriately intriguing web site.
Plastic surgery is no longer the domain of the rich and
famous. Balneologists generally accept the following temperature classifications of mineral springs.
a el cuerpo es aumentando el estres oxidativo en los pulmones.
Un estudio indica un incremento de 185% entre 1994 y 2010
en E. Substantial savings are available on cosmetic surgery, dental work, and even bypass surgery, and knee replacement
surgery.

Posted by: Alexandria

February 11, 2015

a centros ya ofrecen maquillaje permanente los procedimientos con el fin de
atraer a nuevos pacientes. The major limitation of
the Gail model is the inclusion of only first-degree relatives, which results in underestimating risk in the 50% of families with
cancer in the paternal lineage and also takes no account of the age of onset
of breast cancer. Plastic surgery is no longer the domain of
the rich and famous. The presentation was published in Planta
Medica 1990-56:66. Brest augmentation, liposuction, nose jobs are
some of the most common procedures. Things would
be pretty boring if we were all alike. El aspartamo, la sucralosa y otros edulcorantes artificiales envan seales al cerebro, haciendo
que el cuerpo piense que los alimentos dulces y bebidas contienen menos caloras que las que realmente tienen.

Posted by: marketing

January 23, 2015

There are really some amazingly creative themes that can add a spark of individuality
to your game.

Posted by: Playstation 4 Themes

January 13, 2015

Since I finished that book I’ve started 4 businesses.
Before engaging an online marketing consultant therefore, make sure they
have all of these skills and more, in order for them to offer you a great value proposition.
Both reach and targeting are very important factors to be considered when drafting digital marketing plans as they
significantly affect the effectiveness of the plan.

Posted by: Uta

December 21, 2014

Maps, Addresses and Driving Directions to important
places such as: Local Hospital Emergency Medical or “Walk-In” Clinics; Bank, ATM and Money Exchange;
Airport, Train Station,and Bus Stations; Post Office, Fed – Ex, UPS or other Express Mailing Businesses; Grocery Stores, Butcher, Baker, Liquor Stores, or
other Essential Stores; Internet Caf

Posted by: פריצת מנעולים בפתח תקווה

July 2, 2014

free coupons by mail

Posted by: mintpics.zendesk.com

August 6, 2013

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch as I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

Posted by: automobile code reader

August 5, 2013

The info on this page is rather beneficial. I have discovered several strategies.

Posted by: pruners

August 4, 2013

Hello there, You have done a fantastic job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this site.

Posted by: Electric Car

August 3, 2013

Great amazing issues here. I¡¦m very satisfied to peer your post. Thanks so much and i’m looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

Posted by: green energy search

August 2, 2013

Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched all over the place and simply could not come across. What an ideal web site.

Posted by: food gift ideas

August 1, 2013

I do consider all of the ideas you’ve introduced to your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are very short for starters. May you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

Posted by: college early childhood

August 1, 2013

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people consider worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Posted by: pertaining to search

August 1, 2013

excellent publish, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector don’t realize this. You must continue your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

Posted by: health health options

August 1, 2013

A lot of thanks for all of your labor on this web site. My mother take interest in managing research and it’s really easy to see why. Most people notice all concerning the lively mode you produce worthwhile secrets through the web blog and therefore inspire contribution from the others on the matter so my child is discovering a lot. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the year. Your carrying out a tremendous job.

Posted by: estate

July 25, 2013
July 24, 2013

Can I simply say what a relief to find somebody who actually is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You definitely know how you can carry an issue to light and make it important. Extra people need to learn this and perceive this side of the story. I cant believe youre no more common since you definitely have the gift.

Posted by: Hilda Dobrinin

July 18, 2013

I found your weblog web site on google and examine a couple of of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the superb operate. I simply extra up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Looking for ahead to studying extra from you in a while!

Posted by: Mia Lighty

July 18, 2013

There are some attention-grabbing deadlines on this article however I don�t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There may be some validity however I’ll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish extra! Added to FeedBurner as effectively

Posted by: Pete Niverson

February 1, 2012

hi ibm group… i am a student,…. if we have an new idea, that will change the full picture of one industry… if that idea will make the industry secure and no loss to its followers. if we have an such a ideas how we can reach u…

Posted by: shivaraja N