by Jill Puleri, IBM GBS Retail Leader

We grew up hearing the story of Hansel and Gretel, but it’s not until recently that the moral became applicable to the business world. According to the story, Hansel leaves a trail of breadcrumbs so the duo can find their way home, but they get lost after the birds make the bread their dinner. As the IBM GBS Retail Leader, I’ve taken a lesson or two from Hansel’s mishap — it’s that if you don’t watch the breadcrumbs carefully, you’ll never find your way to the prize.

Tuesday IBM launched a new suite of Smarter Analytics solutions. In a world filled with too much data, analytics helps convert data – which is collected from a variety of digital devices– into valuable insight. IBM’s research has found that 90 percent of the data that exists in ‘cyberspace’ was created in the last two years.  Whether through online social channels or transactions, these bits of information give clues that businesses can use to determine who their customers are and how they behave. I often tell people that it’s not about running the numbers to see how many people clicked on a link or tweeted about a particular shopping item, but it’s about uncovering insight and then applying this insight for a competitive advantage.

The use of analytics is a journey. Sometimes, the whole story may not be visible at first glance, and it may require some trial and error to determine the appropriate course of action.

For example, after conducting an extensive analysis of its product sales, a grocery store decided to eliminate slow-moving items, such as Cream of Tartar.  What the grocer didn’t anticipate, however, is that local bakers would be up in arms if this staple ingredient was no longer available. The grocer found itself in jeopardy of losing a portion of its customer base if the item wasn’t re-stocked.

A journey that began with the question “What products should we remove off the shelves?” inevitably led to the question “Who is the customer we want to reach?”

Similarly, for one UK bakery, the answer was not to eliminate product, but rather, to deliver personalized offerings for their customers. A team of IBM analytics experts noticed that on rainy days customers were more likely to purchase cakes, while on sunny days the choice food was paninis. We couldn’t have guessed this by looking at the weather and sales reports separately, but together, we uncovered a new outcome.  Now the bakery knows what to bake based on the weather forecast.

Next week IBM will release a home furnishings retail forecast. With the help of our experts, we’ve picked up the breadcrumbs consumers have left behind and made connections and correlations allowing us to forecast sales. We can now project retail sales in this category with a 97% confidence over the next three months, and because of this, retailers can ensure that they stock the right products, and at the right quantities, and schedule the right amount of staff in their stores.

Big data really changed the game for businesses, and analytics has enabled us to play the game well. Analytics has gone from a business initiative two decades ago to business imperative today. It has shed light on what was once possible to what now can be proven.

No one wants to be lost in the woods looking for their way home.  We all want to be able to pick up the crumbs on the trail to find what awaits us at the end. Analytics can now make the ideal fairytale become a constant reality.

Join Jill April 4 on the People for a Smarter Planet Facebook page where she’ll be discussing Smarter Retail from 9:00 AM EST- 1:00 PM EST.

YouTube Preview Image

December 11, 2014

You actually make it seem so easy together with your presentation but I in finding
this matter to be really one thing which I believe I might
by no means understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely broad for me.
I am taking a look forward for your next submit, I’ll try to get the dangle of it!

Posted by: Serviced Homes in Goa

August 12, 2014

Thanks for sharing

Posted by: Perfect Vision Today Download

September 5, 2013

Defining a particular region for the food choices of these types
is not at all possible. It can be made ahead and kept
in the fridge while the shredded chicken is being prepared.
Beverages, breads, desserts, main courses, salads, and dressings – there was a Tupperware recipe for every part of a meal.

Posted by: http://www.keltis.us

August 1, 2013

I was just seeking this information for some time. After 6 hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your web site. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that do not rank this type of informative sites in top of the list. Generally the top websites are full of garbage.

Posted by: Learn Spanish

July 28, 2013

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to search out somebody with some authentic ideas on this subject. realy thanks for beginning this up. this web site is one thing that’s wanted on the net, somebody with a little originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the web!

Posted by: Misha Kempker

July 27, 2013

Nice post. I study something tougher on totally different blogs everyday. It can all the time be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice just a little something from their store. I�d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don�t mind. Natually I�ll offer you a link on your net blog. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Randolph Speiden

July 27, 2013

I am no longer positive the place you are getting your info, however great topic. I needs to spend some time finding out more or understanding more. Thank you for magnificent info I was looking for this information for my mission.

Posted by: New Business Ideas

July 25, 2013

When I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any method you’ll be able to take away me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Lanie Marzan

July 23, 2013

Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I wish to put in writing like this moreover � taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article however what can I say I procrastinate alot and in no way appear to get one thing done.

Posted by: Mei Zorko

July 23, 2013

I was more than happy to search out this internet-site.I wished to thanks in your time for this glorious read!! I positively enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

Posted by: Aileen Wisley

July 21, 2013

After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any approach you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Desmond Cinco

December 11, 2012

Business analytics now becomes significant and popular. This is especially true in shopping where understanding the needs and demands of the majority of its clientele. Analytics in the business sector is necessary in determining consumer preference.

Posted by: Xero Bookkeepers Sunshine Coast

March 30, 2012

Video includes reference to a South African insurer that finds over 2 million in fraud using analytics in only a few months – What other project ROI can beat that?

Posted by: Chrisitne Haeberlin

July 4, 2014

[…] 분기에 IBM의 분석 역량은 홈인테리어 분야와 입학, 개학 시즌간의 상관관계를 밝혀내고 있습니다. […]

Posted by: [2012-09-17] 입학이 여성들의 가정용품 매출을 부추긴다? | younyh

March 30, 2014
October 7, 2012

[...] 데이터들의 조각들은 엑셀로 관리 될 수도 있습니다. 이 하나의 데이터 조각들은 단지 수천 조각 중 하나 또는 더 많은 조각 중 하나를 나타내는 [...]

Posted by: 패션과학: 직업을 얻기위한 공식 « A Smarter Planet Blog – Korea

September 28, 2012

[...] tool, it can no longer manage the volumes and types of data captured daily. Today, perhaps one tiny crumb of data can be reviewed and evaluated on an Excel spreadsheet. This one crumb may represent only [...]

Posted by: The science of fashion: the formula for a job « A Smarter Planet Blog

September 27, 2012

[...] 분기에 IBM의 분석 역량은 홈인테리어 분야와 입학, 개학 시즌간의 상관관계를 밝혀내고 있습니다. [...]

Posted by: 입학이 여성들의 가정용품 매출을 부추긴다? « A Smarter Planet Blog – Korea

September 27, 2012

[...] the shopping experience, it is clear that retailers have an incredible opportunity to study these digital footprints to discern specific consumer preferences. Understanding what consumers truly want, can empower [...]

Posted by: Pioneering New Career Paths in Retail « A Smarter Planet Blog