by Eric Siegel, Director, New York Hall of Science

[Editor's note: To celebrate the history of math and its impact on the world, IBM has released Minds of Modern Mathematics, a free iPad app that re-imagines a classic 50-foot infographic on the history of math that was part of the Mathematica exhibit at the 1964 World’s Fair in New York City.  Eric Siegel, director and chief content officer of the New York Hall of Science, says the exhibit remains relevant to this day.  Join the conversation on Twitter: #math #Eames]

In 1961, IBM commissioned Charles and Ray Eames to create an exhibition for the California Museum of Science and Industry.  The resulting exhibition, called Mathematica: a World of Numbers, is a founding document of interactive STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) exhibitions.

YouTube Preview Image

As Charles Eames observed, Mathematica was intended to enlighten the amateur without embarrassing the specialist. In the early 2000’s, the California Science Center — as it is now called — refurbished and exhibition and put it on the road.

At the end of that run, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) in Queens, NY, purchased the exhibition, and spent the following three years refurbishing and gently updating Mathematica.

There was a duplicate copy made of the exhibition, most of which is still on display at the Museum of Science in Boston.  NYSCI now has the only complete copy of this brilliant integration of creativity and scientific thinking.  And it is so appropriate to have it at NYSCI, which also grew from the mid-sixties optimism and enthusiastic public embrace of science.

As you can imagine, I welcomed the news that Mathematica has inspired an iPad app, Minds of Modern Mathematics.

One of the few memories I have of the 1964 Worlds Fair is a featured element in Mathematica: a large probability machine in which balls ping their way through a kind of pachinko machine and settle in a normal distribution curve at the bottom.  The brilliant thing about this piece is the theatricality of the sound and drama of the balls tumbling down, combined with a quite subtle and deep explanation of normal distribution curves.

Unlike many contemporary exhibits, there is a fair amount of accompanying text presented in an in idiosyncratic style that reflects the Eames’ fascination with the circus.

In addition to probability, there is a brilliant interactive on projective geometry (not a phrase that I ever imagined I would say) that never fails to elicit a “wow” from visitors and a beautiful and elegant series of boxes that dip into soapy water revealing bubble coatings that illustrate the principal of least surfaces.  Children love pressing their noses up against the glass cover of the Celestial Mechanics vortex, watching steel balls race each other down into a “gravity well.”

Above is the Mathematica Timeline as it is installed at NY Hall of Science, with a computer kiosk extending into the 21st century.

The exhibition is timeless, other than updating some internal mechanisms, we have not found any need or reason to modify it, with one exception.  One entire wall of Mathematica features a detailed timeline of the development of math thinking, featuring thinkers as far back as 1000 AD, and continuing until 1960.  Of course much has happened since 1960, so we have made a interactive computer kiosk that continues the timeline into the 21st century.

We have long been familiar with the videos that accompanied or amplified aspects of Mathematica, but have not had them on display as they were not displayed with the original exhibition.  But the Math Peep Shows, and above all Powers of 10, are masterpieces of translating complex topics in science,  math and big data to a lay audience without “dumbing down.”

You can follow Eric at theworks.nysci.org and on Twitter @erictsiegel

February 18, 2014

What i don’t realize is actually how you’re not really a lot more smartly-appreciated than you might be right now. You are so intelligent. You already know thus significantly in relation to this topic, made me personally consider it from numerous varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t interested until it¡¦s one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. At all times take care of it up!

Posted by: Identity Theft

November 28, 2013

Thank you for sharing your ideas about apple. Regards

Posted by: Web Page

August 4, 2013

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

Posted by: baby gift

August 2, 2013

Great post and straight to the point. I am not sure if this is really the best place to ask but do you guys have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thanks in advance :)

Posted by: family values

August 1, 2013

Fantastic website. Plenty of useful info here. I¡¦m sending it to some pals ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks on your effort!

Posted by: Luxury Hotel

August 1, 2013

My wife and i ended up being really fortunate when Jordan could conclude his investigation while using the ideas he obtained from your own site. It’s not at all simplistic just to continually be giving out tips which men and women may have been selling. We do know we’ve got the website owner to give thanks to for that. Those illustrations you made, the simple site navigation, the friendships your site help to foster – it’s everything overwhelming, and it is facilitating our son and the family do think the concept is entertaining, and that is extremely serious. Many thanks for all!

Posted by: tech gadgets

July 30, 2013

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thanks However I’m experiencing situation with ur rss . Don�t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting an identical rss problem? Anybody who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx

Posted by: Rich Zwanzig

July 27, 2013

I discovered your blog website on google and verify a number of of your early posts. Continue to keep up the excellent operate. I just further up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. In search of forward to reading more from you afterward!

Posted by: Valentin Grev

July 27, 2013

I�d must test with you here. Which isn’t one thing I normally do! I get pleasure from studying a put up that can make folks think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

Posted by: Marcelino Sojo

July 25, 2013
May 23, 2012

For that matter, since you already have a ultra-high definition version of the poster in the app, can’t you just put it online somewhere so people who don’t have iPads can see it?

Posted by: Rafaello

May 23, 2012

@ George I understand it’s a big task porting it to android, but is there any chance of having a way to view the actual original poster online somewhere? Something like Google Art Project, which scans works of art at a high enough resolution that you can zoom way in and see every brush-stroke. Thanks!

Posted by: Rafaello

April 10, 2012

Edmund: I understand! No plans as of yet though. This project was a big challenge and for now, iPad only.

Posted by: george

April 9, 2012

I want “Minds of Modern Mathematics” for my Android! Need help porting it? ;-)

Posted by: Edmund Wilhelm

1 Trackback

May 10, 2012

[...] York Hall of Science director Eric Siegel called Mathematica “a founding document” of interactive STEM [...]

Posted by: Bringing STEM Learning to Life « A Smarter Planet Blog