Eames Demetrios, director of the Eames Office

By Richard Silberman, Writer/Researcher, IBM Communications

Eames Demetrios can remember visiting his grandparents, the husband-and-wife design duo Charles and Ray Eames, at their studio when he was a boy to watch them work on Powers of Ten, the classic educational film they made for IBM in 1977.

Today, as director of the Eames Office, Demetrios is devoted to preserving and extending the legacy and work of his grandparents. In addition to creating some of the most iconic furniture designs of the 20th century, they made more than 15 films and designed 30 exhibits for IBM in a relationship that began in 1953 and spanned three decades.

Demetrios considers it his mission to communicate Charles and Ray’s visionary ideas to as wide an audience as possible: “As beautiful as the objects are that Charles and Ray created, the ideas behind them are just as beautiful and just as important and relevant today.”

YouTube Preview Image

The Eames approach to problem solving

Demetrios considers his grandparents problem solvers at their core. “Charles and Ray approached every problem on a situation-by-situation basis and found and applied the best possible solution for it,” Demetrios said. “They never tried to force a specific design style on all the things they did.”

For example, the visual style of Powers of Ten is different from every other Eames film because it is completely appropriate for the content. Two of their most iconic designs — the biomorphic plastic chair and the rectilinear Eames House — were designed at the same time, but Charles and Ray did not attempt to impose either style on the other, Demetrios explained.

“Their work was always about finding smarter ways of doing things,” Demetrios said. “Charles and Ray believed that when you truly try to address the fundamental need of any situation, the best solution will come to the fore.”

Introducing a new app: Minds of Modern Mathematics

Download free iPad app, "Minds of Modern Mathematics"

The enduring strength and relevance of the Eames/IBM partnership — and of Charles and Ray’s ideas and design philosophy — is evident in a new iPad app released today titled Minds of Modern Mathematics.

The free app is based on a famous timeline showing the history of mathematics from 1000 AD to 1960 that Charles and Ray designed for IBM in 1961 as part of the landmark museum exhibit, Mathematica: A World of Numbers…and Beyond. IBM later gave away posters of the timeline, then known as Men of Modern Mathematics, upon request to anyone from academics, to schools, to the general public.

——————————————————————————————————————————–

Watch a demo of the new Minds of Modern Mathematics iPad app

——————————————————————————————————————————–

The timeline’s celebrated design features short biographies of great mathematicians and wondrously depicts the interplay between mathematics, culture and history. It illustrates how math helped shape society and influenced advances in art, science, music and architecture.

“We’ve taken Charles and Ray’s original 2-dimensional design and turned it into a compelling interactive experience that everyone will enjoy,” Demetrios said. “The amazing thing is that the original content is still as hypnotic and engrossing as it was 50 years ago.”

The app features hundreds of images plus a collection of short films by Charles and Ray, including the original IBM Mathematics Peep Show. The “peep show” is a series of playful two-minute animated lessons on a variety of mathematical concepts.

From the earliest days of their partnership, IBM and the Eameses shared a commitment to popularize math and science and make them accessible and fun for all. Demetrios, in teaming with IBM to create Minds of Modern Mathematics, is keeping that tradition alive and well.

“It’s particularly fitting that we’ve released this app in the centennial year of Ray’s birth,” Demetrios said. “The timeline represents an incredible act of both visual and intellectual design, a feat Charles and Ray were able to pull off again and again.”

What the world needs now: Powers of Ten thinking

Ray and Charles Eames working on a conceptual model for the "Mathematica" exhibition. (Image courtesy of Eames Office)

For communicating Charles and Ray’s ideas, Demetrios puts particular emphasis on Powers of Ten, the Eames’s most acclaimed and influential film.

The 9-minute documentary, which is included in the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress, depicts the magnitude of the universe in factors of 10, taking viewers on a visual journey from the outer edges of the cosmos to a proton within an atom in a white blood cell. The film vividly illustrates the nature and importance of systems and the relative size of things.

“So many of the world’s challenges are problems of scale,” Demetrios said. “Anyone who wants to take on the world’s problems can gain some crucial perspective and insights from Powers of Ten.”

Living in the Age of Choices

Charles Eames, who is credited with helping usher in the Information Age, said that after the age of information comes the age of choices — and that’s an apt description of the world right now, Demetrios explained.

“Today the issue is not about generating and accessing information; it’s how do we model it and use it in a meaningful way so that we can do the right thing for humanity and the planet,” Demetrios said.

“The whole idea of building a smarter planet would have resonated with Charles and Ray because it’s about making things better by really trying to address them deeply,” Demetrios said. “That’s exactly the kind of passion they brought to everything they did.”

Read more about “Minds of Modern Mathematics” at IBM Research.

August 27, 2014

We stumbled over here by a different website and thought I might as well check things out.
I like what I see so now i am following you.

Look forward to looking into your web page yet again.

Posted by: Glenn

August 24, 2014

This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am actually impressed to read all at alone
place.

Posted by: ask.fm ip tracker online

August 19, 2014

Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need
some advice from an established blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog?
I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty
fast. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where
to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? With thanks

Posted by: Jestine

April 10, 2014

My partner and I absolutely love your blogg and find many of your post’s to be exactly what
I’m looking for. Do yoou offer guest writers too write content inn
your case? I wouldn’t mind composing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write about here.
Again, awesome site!

Posted by: luckyscrafts.blogspot.fr

January 31, 2014

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but
I find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand.
It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me.
I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of
it!

Posted by: Funny Video On Youtube

August 2, 2013

Whats Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & aid other users like its aided me. Good job.

Posted by: Electric Car

July 31, 2013

The additional info on this page is truly valuable. I have learned a number of techniques.

Posted by: ratchet pruners

July 29, 2013

The following time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I really thought youd have something attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you can fix should you werent too busy looking for attention.

Posted by: Brice Kratofil

July 26, 2013

A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit of analysis on this. And he in truth bought me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If attainable, as you grow to be expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Massive thumb up for this blog publish!

Posted by: Amie Auduong

July 25, 2013

A powerful share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing somewhat evaluation on this. And he actually purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If potential, as you turn out to be experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra particulars? It’s extremely useful for me. Huge thumb up for this weblog submit!

Posted by: Michel Kimball

July 21, 2013

I�m impressed, I need to say. Actually not often do I encounter a weblog that�s each educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your concept is excellent; the difficulty is one thing that not sufficient individuals are talking intelligently about. I’m very glad that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for one thing referring to this.

Posted by: Hayley Condell

July 21, 2013

There are some attention-grabbing closing dates on this article however I don�t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There may be some validity however I’ll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish extra! Added to FeedBurner as properly

Posted by: Gregory Mandolfo

July 3, 2013

Superb blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option?

There are so many choices out there that I’m totally confused .. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Posted by: Sharecash Downloader

May 20, 2013

For the reason that the admin of this website is working, no uncertainty very shortly it will be well-known,
due to its quality contents.

Posted by: sharecash surveys

April 10, 2012

Tim: No, the poster is no longer available in print form. I believe we ran out sometime in the early 90′s or so. As you may have noticed, a digital version of the original poster is included in the app.

Posted by: george

April 6, 2012

Is the wall poster still available?

Posted by: Tim Miller

August 28, 2014

npkua.org

Meet Eames Demetrios: Another Person for a Smarter Planet « A Smarter Planet Blog A Smarter Planet Blog

Posted by: npkua.org

November 1, 2013

[…] sources: Charles Eames; Herman Miller; Eameses; A Smarter Planet; Ray Eames; Arts N […]

Posted by: Article: Charles & Ray Eames/Textile | TEXTURES