Editor’s note: Please join a Tweet chat featuring Dr.  Murali Ramanathan and other healthcare and data analytics experts May 10 from noon to 1 p.m. Eastern Time at #IBMdatachat.

Multiple sclerosis is a cruel disease. It typically strikes young adults. The body’s own immune system attacks the brain and spinal cord, resulting in physical disabilities, cognitive problems and a host of other chronic symptoms. The cause isn’t known. There is no cure.

Fortunately, the amount of biomedical and clinical data related to MS has exploded over the past decade, and, at the same time, new research methods make it possible to assess environmental factors and hundreds of thousands of genetic variations taken from single samples.

Researchers at The State University of New York at Buffalo are using a new approach to computing  in an attempt to identify the causes and promising therapies. “The eventual goal is to help develop a cure or prevention for MS,” says Dr. Murali Ramanathan, a professor of pharmaceutical sciences and neurology at SUNY Buffalo. “The ability to do this kind of computational analysis is a great complement to basic science and clinical research.”

Ramanathan is one of two researchers leading the Data Intensive Discovery Initiative, or DI2, which is focused on developing new algorithms and modeling techniques for analyzing genetic and environmental factors in multiple sclerosis. They also train graduate students.

He and his colleagues believe that MS is caused by a complex combination of gene-to-gene and gene-to-environment interactions. The chief environmental factors include living far from the equator, viral infections and cigarette smoking. They evaluate a wide range of factors, including gender, geography, ethnicity, diet, exercise, sun exposure and living and working conditions. The clinical data include medical records, lab results, MRI scans and patient surveys.

The researchers are using a computer cluster from IBM’s Netezza that combines processing, a database, storage and analytics into a single system, or appliance. This data-intensive architecture makes it possible to handle large amounts of data and derive insights quickly. The Buffalo researchers have found that analyses that once took days can now be completed in mere minutes.

Previously, Ramanathan used conventional parallel processing on a cluster of computer servers to crunch his data. Those systems divide large problems into smaller ones and solve them concurrently using hundreds or thousands of processors. The Netezza system also takes advantage of parallel processing. But, in addition, it uses specialized processor chips to filter the data that’s sitting in on storage disks before passing along only the relevant pieces to the main processors. At the same time, the system performs some of the analysis as the data is moving off the disks, rather than handling all of it on the main processors. So the design, essentially, moves a lot of the processing to the data rather than moving so much data to the microprocessors. As a result, the work can be done faster and more efficiently.

It took Ramanathan months to warm up to this approach to number crunching, but now he’s a huge fan. “I believe that the vast majority of problems in clinical and biomedical research will be addressed through this new way of computing,” he says.

August 4, 2013

Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

Posted by: car reviews

August 2, 2013

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

Posted by: Car Audio

July 28, 2013

You made some decent points there. I appeared on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

Posted by: Reginald Porietis

July 28, 2013

I�d need to examine with you here. Which isn’t one thing I often do! I take pleasure in studying a submit that may make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

Posted by: Kenneth Mcdugle

July 26, 2013

Hey! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice data you may have right here on this post. I will likely be coming again to your weblog for extra soon.

Posted by: Rocio Keepers

July 23, 2013

Spot on with this write-up, I really suppose this web site wants far more consideration. I�ll most likely be once more to learn far more, thanks for that info.

Posted by: Rudy Herda

July 17, 2013

I actually believe that she has strategy to a great deal class to have concerned for a VP and strategy to superior of the IQ to receive involved with Washington gang. Are you able to visualize a debate amongst Condi and Biden. It might be called Einstein as well as the pea bain

Posted by: 2000 dollar loan with bad credit

July 9, 2013

Viruses are capsules with genetic material inside. They are very tiny, much smaller than bacteria. Viruses cause familiar infectious diseases such as the common cold, flu and warts. They also cause severe illnesses such as HIV/AIDS, smallpox and hemorrhagic fevers.;`;.

Most up-to-date blog post on our website <http://www.picturesofherpes.co

Posted by: Ashanti Peachey

June 29, 2013

There is no known cure for multiple sclerosis. Treatments attempt to return function after an attack, prevent new attacks, and prevent disability. MS medications can have adverse effects or be poorly tolerated, and many people pursue alternative treatments, despite the lack of evidence. The long term outcome is difficult to predict; depending on the subtype of the disease, the individual’s disease characteristics, the initial symptoms and the degree of disability the person experiences over time.-..;*

Our online site <http://www.healthmedicinebook.com/index.php

Posted by: Justin Moraites

June 4, 2013

My mom cured MS by Dr. Mark Skoczylas DLS method, http://www.immunostop.com

Posted by: John

September 15, 2012

This is very positive. I have MS and I’ve always wondered what caused it. Modern computing power should be utilized where possible to help solve this mystery! Thanks for this.

Posted by: Kim | MS Diet For Women

May 10, 2012

EB, Anne Ball,
One more study is at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16152598
This one found a slightly increased risk of breast cancer.

Posted by: Murali Ramanathan

May 10, 2012

@EB, @Anne Ball:

From a quick search, I was able to find three references.

The second reference of which indicates a reduced cancer risk. The third paper indicates a reduced overall cancer risk with an increased risk for brain tumors and urinary cancers.

I do not have enough expertise to assess whether the currently available data are sufficiently clear on the connection between breast cancer and MS. More work may be needed.

Posted by: Murali Ramanathan

May 9, 2012

I completely agree with Anne Ball! I would like to know more about an MS, (colon) cancer, interferon (BetaSeron) connection. Have there been any studies on this? PLEASE send any info on this my way too. If this has not yet been investigated/researched please consider doing so sooner than later. Thank you.

Posted by: E.B.

May 9, 2012

one mystery I am discovering is there seems to be a connection between MS, breast cancer and interferons. I wish someone who has researched this topic could shed light on the subject as I am one victim but have found SO many more. Please help me learn more and if there is any research out there PLEASE send it my way. There are 3 of us in one MS support group that had MS placed on interfeon (Rebif) and in last 3 years been diagnosed with breast cancer. this is a topic that REALLY needs investigated.

Posted by: Anne Ball

November 16, 2012

[...] to conduct analysis from 27.2 hours to 11.7 minutes. Parallel processing was one key, but it was just the start. At the same time, some analysis is performed as the data is moving off the disks, rather than [...]

Posted by: Unraveling the mystery of multiple sclerosis with big data – InfoWorld | Multiple Sclerosis - MSConnections.org - MS Symtoms & MS Information

May 8, 2012

[...] at The State University of New York at Buffalo are using a new approach to computing  in an attempt to identify the causes and promising therapies. We’re conducting a TweetChat [...]

Posted by: TweetChat: Using Analytics to Decipher the Mysteries of MS « A Smarter Planet Blog