This is part of a series on how India cities are transforming to become smarter.

By Dhamodaran Ramakrishnan, Director, Smarter Planet Solutions, IBM India/South Asia

How can we rein in the wrath of torrential rains, and be better prepared even before they strike havoc disrupting city life? Well, when heavy rains lash the cities, causing traffic snarls, hit train and other services, we are forced to venture out of inertia. It’s time to wear the thinking hat. Why can’t our cities get accurate and timely weather forecasts that matter? How are cities across the world dealing with such a scenario?

Consider this…Life in Mumbai was thrown out of gear as the city received the heaviest rainfall of the season. Many local trains were cancelled or delayed, major roads got submerged and citizens returning home or going to hospital got stranded on roads and in trains – causing much public agony. Citizens were caught unaware till they hit the roads, only to get stuck.

Is there a way technology could be leveraged to prevent such recurring incidents that causes widespread public agony? Can our cities weatherproof the day to day operations to avoid such disasters? It’s great to know how the weather is going to be in our city two days from now. But, what does it take to devise a system that can help better prepare to fight such emergency? The challenge is while traditional weather forecasting can predict general weather conditions with some accuracy, it doesn’t always give government agencies and utilities the kind of information they can take action on.

Predicting the weather for a specific location down to a square kilometer, and how it will affect the people and infrastructure there, is a tough computing problem. And it’s that sort of hyper-local forecasting that advanced technologies like Deep Thunder can provide. This can offer high–resolution forecasts for a region, ranging from a metropolitan area up to an entire state, with calculations as fine as every kilometer, including the impact of the weather.

Advanced supercomputing models can help our cities leverage short-term forecasts, predicting everything from where flooding and downed power lines will likely occur to where winds will be too high. Forecasts are made up to a few days ahead of time. The reports can be customized to visualize the specific weather elements or impacts a business may be concerned about, such as wind speed and direction for a disaster management crew.

Significantly, what needs to be beefed up is not really about the weather. It’s about improving the effectiveness of a city’s weather–sensitive operations, such as emergency management, traffic management, asset management or logistics, and business continuity with very specific, up–to–the minute information.

Consider this.  IBM deployed Deep Thunder for the government of Rio De Janeiro, which is used in a new operations center, designed to help the city adequately prepare people for flash floods.  This was in response to catastrophic floods that occurred in April 2010.  Located in Cidade Nova, the center integrates and interconnects information from multiple government departments and public agencies in the municipality to improve city safety and responsiveness to various types of incidents, such as flash floods and landslides.

Consolidating data from various urban systems for real-time visualization, monitoring and analysis, such sophisticated technologies can provide City’s incident commander and responders with a single, unified view of everything happening around the city on a video wall, including surveillance cameras, maps, simulations, news updates, resources and information that they require for situational awareness.

Certainly, if only the city planners can know with accuracy what the weather will be ahead of time, they can more effectively plan effective travel conduits, avoid traffic accidents, logistics for a sports event or a live entertainment show, emergency operations, including back–up operations. This necessitates using weather analytics to optimize our citizen-centric service chain by planning around adverse weather conditions, reducing delays, protecting and maximizing use of valuable assets, and streamlining scheduling. It’s time to act smarter, and act collectively to embrace proven technologies to beef up our cities integrated response systems.

Let not the wettest day leave us high and dry as rains are there to enjoy….

October 11, 2014

You can install solar panels on the areas that are sufficiently uncovered
to sunlight. When sunlight falls on the mirrors,
the photo voltaic cells convert the vitality into electrical prices.

Posted by: http://solarpower.runionsfurnitureannex.com

October 8, 2014

What i do not realize is if truth be told how you’re not really much more well-preferred than you may be now.

You’re very intelligent. You recognize thus significantly in relation to this matter, made me individually imagine it from numerous
varied angles. Its like women and men are not interested until
it’s something to do with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs nice.
All the time take care of it up!

Posted by: breast

October 6, 2014

You really make it seem so easy together
with your presentation but I in finding this matter to be actually something that I feel
I would by no means understand. It sort of
feels too complicated and extremely wide for me.
I’m having a look forward for your subsequent submit, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

Posted by: funny movie quotes

October 5, 2014

Have you ever thought about creating an ebook or guest authoring on other blogs?
I have a blog based on the same information you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know
my readers would enjoy your work. If you’re even remotely
interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Posted by: lipitor claims

October 5, 2014

Having read this I thought it was rather informative.

I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this content together.
I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and commenting.
But so what, it was still worth it!

Posted by: foosball table

September 23, 2014

each time i used to read smaller content that as well clear their motive, and that is also happening
with this paragraph which I am reading at this time.

Posted by: vps with seo tools

September 20, 2014

What’s up mates, how is everything, and what you wish for to
say concerning this post, in my view its genuinely
remarkable for me.

Posted by: clash of clans hack tool no survey mac

September 19, 2014

What i do not realize is if truth be told how you’re not
really much more smartly-liked than you may be right now.
You’re very intelligent. You already know thus
significantly with regards to this matter, made me in my view
imagine it from so many varied angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be interested except it’s one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga!
Your own stuffs excellent. At all times care for it up!

Posted by: princess party

September 11, 2014

You’re so interesting! I do not think I have read through anything like
this before. So good tto find another person with some genuine tboughts oon this topic.Seriously..
thanks for starting this up. This website is something that
is required on the internet, someone with a little
originality!

Posted by: blogspot.tw

December 18, 2013

I�m impressed, I need to say. Actually not often do I encounter a weblog that�s each educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your concept is excellent; the difficulty is one thing that not sufficient individuals are talking intelligently about. I’m very completely satisfied that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for one thing referring to this.

Posted by: Eugena Tschoepe

August 5, 2013

A lot of thanks for every one of your work on this web site. Kate take interest in carrying out investigation and it’s easy to understand why. A lot of people know all concerning the lively mode you deliver efficient secrets via the web site and increase participation from other ones on the content plus our favorite girl is actually discovering a whole lot. Take pleasure in the remaining portion of the year. You’re carrying out a tremendous job.

Posted by: Kitchen Design

August 5, 2013

Good blog! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I might be notified when a new post has been made. I’ve subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

Posted by: microsoft office education

August 1, 2013

great issues altogether, you just received a logo new reader. What might you recommend in regards to your post that you just made some days ago? Any sure?

Posted by: suggestions plus tips

July 30, 2013

I�d should verify with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a publish that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Posted by: Eugenia Ruggiere

July 29, 2013

Hello, Neat post. There’s a problem together with your site in internet explorer, could test this¡K IE still is the market chief and a huge element of people will leave out your magnificent writing due to this problem.

Posted by: fashion jewelry wholesale

July 24, 2013

I was very happy to seek out this net-site.I needed to thanks in your time for this excellent read!! I undoubtedly enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

Posted by: Miles Erbentraut

July 20, 2013

You made some first rate factors there. I seemed on the web for the problem and located most people will associate with along with your website.

Posted by: Ernesto Bachler