By Paul Brody, Global Industry Leader, Electronics at IBM

Even as one business model for consumer electronics dominates, the next one is always taking shape, usually right under our noses.  When the Blackberry arrived in 1999, my boss at the time, the CEO of a start-up, received one, tested it, and gave up using it, wondering why anyone would want constant access to email.  He gave it to me and I loved it.  It had a kind of gee-whiz factor that delighted and surprised users.

I will never forget an email I got once that said “Just swung by your cube…where are you?” from an astonished colleague who I’d been emailing from a taxi.  We take it for granted now, but it was really novel then: anytime anywhere email.

Recently, I’ve found the same experiences with a new breed of cloud-based mobile applications.  These applications and services are all, to a large degree, quite separate, but they share some common components that result in the same kind of gee-whiz wonder that the first Blackberry produced.

One of these applications is Flock, a social picture sharing service from the people who developed Bump.  Flock lets people who attend the same events share their photos.  No action on your part is required. Once you have flock, it’s all done automatically and you’re notified if there are photos to share.

Another of these applications is Pay with Square.  It’s quite amazing to walk into a restaurant, buy lunch, and walk out without opening your wallet or phone.   No surprise that Starbucks is rolling out that functionality nationwide.

And finally, we have the online service IFTTT (if this then that) which enables consumers to integrate their own processes.  Thanks to an iPhone app and a combination of IFTTT, when I take new pictures and upload them (and most of them are of the kids), my dad gets an email.  He loves seeing the up to the minute pictures.

What do all these things have in common?  They are largely invisible, set-it-and-forget services.  No user interface, no on-going usage.  They just work.  Things just happen.  Collectively, they represent the four principles that I believe will be the centerpiece of the future consumer electronics experience: integrated, automated, social and invisible.

Integrated

Future offerings will be easily and deeply integrated with each other.  Services like IFTTT, Zapier, and others allow consumers to link many disparate services together.   Take a picture and it’s uploaded, shared and backed up.

Automated

Future services won’t just be integrated, they’ll be intelligently automated.  When you walk through your door at home, your phone will recognize your home Wi-Fi network and choose that time to download your podcasts and upload your photos with a lowest cost routing.

Social

Ten years from now, I’m not sure I’ll go to my Facebook page every day.  Maybe I’ll go from time to time instead, but my social network – my web of friends and colleagues – will be a constant companion.   I’ll know when they’re around, I’ll see a continuous stream of data from them, and my own systems will know what and when to share with whom – and it will just happen.

Invisible

It has been famously said that a sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.  May I now coin the idea or phrase that a sufficiently advanced user experience doesn’t feel like a user experience at all.  The future of the user interface is that there isn’t one.  Or, at best, it’s the push-notification window on your phone.

How many apps do you have on your phone?  I count over 60 on mine and that’s a tiny fraction of the ones I’ve bought and downloaded over the years.  I have apps that remember the movies I like.  I have apps for tracking my diet.  I have apps for tracking my car mileage.  I don’t use any of them, because in the moment, I can’t remember where they are or be bothered to find them.

In the future, I won’t go searching for a diet app.  I’m going to tell my phone what kind of diet I’m on (get fat slowly) and when I go into a restaurant I’m automatically going to be given a recommendation.  My phone will “ding” and there in the push notification area will be a suggestion based on my diet preferences (no sugars / lower calorie) and dishes at the same restaurant that my friends have liked in the past.

The future is already here.  You can try it out now.

In every big wave of product innovation, the components of that transformation have existed independently in the market for some period of time before they became mainstream technologies.  Extreme users were surprising their friends with gee-whiz functionality but overall, it remained more trouble than it was worth for average users to take up these solutions.

Most of things I described are already available, in one form or another.  They are still in many cases a bit of trouble to use and not well integrated with each other.  We are still waiting for the right company to pull all these pieces together and make them shockingly simple, but I am starting to feel, with the same passionate certainty I did about the Blackberry, that the next big thing is just about here.

Feel free to connect with me on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.

This blog post originally appeared in the IBM Electronics blog. Check out the IBM Electronics blog for forward thinking blogs on Electronics Industry.

September 19, 2014

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting
videos to your site when you could be giving us
something informative to read?

Posted by: Porfirio

September 11, 2014

Outstanding story there. What occurred after?

Good luck!

Posted by: social media management philippines

September 11, 2014

It’s awesome designed for me to have a site, which
is valuable in support of my know-how. thanks admin

Posted by: british gas

September 9, 2014

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically
tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for
a plug-in like this for quite some time and was
hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new
updates.

Posted by: Pure Natural Cleanser

September 5, 2014

English, Hawse, Linville, Tennille, Sang, Reynaldo, Robles, Stallman ɑnd Stallman are happy.
ТҺe Erebus givess а bonus to hybrid turrets ɑnd іt can mount thе devastatinng anti-matter Aurora Dominae Doomsday device.
Υou ԁo things that ʏoս dο not want to do but feel
ǥood tto үߋu in the short term.

Posted by: bit.ly

September 5, 2014

What i don’t understood is in reality how you are no longer really much more well-favored than you
might be right now. You are very intelligent.
You recognize thus considerably in relation to this topic, made me in my
view believe it from a lot of various angles. Its like women and men are not involved until it is
something to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs great.
At all times maintain it up!

Posted by: Un illustre inconnu Télécharger

August 28, 2014

Hello there I am so excited I found your blog page, I really found you by accident,
while I was looking on Google for something else,
Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a
remarkable post and a all round thrilling
blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the minute
but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so
when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

Posted by: Providence RI dui law

August 28, 2014

Can I inquire if you’re cool with payed posts? All I would
want is for you to publish website content on behalf of me and merely a url
or reference to my site. I could possibly compensate you.

Posted by: Fat Burning Chef Review

August 28, 2014

What could be more frightening than what Ken has in his basement.
It has steadily remained on the Prime Grossing Video games checklist within the App Store because
it launched. com, the creators of Candy Crush Saga, Pet
Rescue Saga and Bubble Witch Saga, among other games.

Posted by: Bubble Witch Saga 2 Hack

August 21, 2014

With i – Web – Camera it is possible to turn your i – Phone in a real driver-based web camera.
Wired or Wifi DVR Systems – These DVR systems work very well for both good sized and small
zones. Smaller businesses have a lot to shed by devoid of a robust security system, and the expense for such a method is more reasonable
than ever before.

Diverse models of video cameras are available inside market then one just has to choose something that suits his requirements.
For real-time monitoring the DCS-910 is a good choice for the
price, it’s only in the event the camera is necessary for automatic operations
the location where the cheap price points to some lack of quality.

Posted by: longest

August 21, 2014
August 19, 2014

May I just say what a comfort to uncover somebody who truly understands what they’re talking about on the net.
You certainly realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
More and more people must check this out and understand this side of your
story. It’s surprising you are not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

Posted by: https://Njvs.zendesk.com

August 9, 2014

Thanks for share, you describe it very well

Posted by: Benjamin McSharry

July 16, 2014

Thanks for share, your share very important and valuable information with us

Posted by: Archer Mofflin

July 15, 2014

That brings us to quite possibly the most intriguing match-up to
that point of the season when Oregon comes to Rice-Eccles. Alabama will try to rebound from their loss to
the Sooners and rank fourth in the Sporting News college football preseason rankings.
During matches rush for football tickets goes beyond any margin, and it becomes tough
for the organisers to handle that.

Posted by: football

July 9, 2014

Thanks for sharing

Posted by: mi40x Review

June 23, 2014

Aby znaleźć najlepsze wina do suplement dowolny Danie musisz zrozumieć,
jakie wina pochodzi z w kilka typów mięso wołowe.
jeden z wielu najprostszych sposobów pamiętać co czerwone wino decydować o jest iść
z kolor wino z kolor mięso. Jako przykład, najbardziej czerwonawo kolorowe wino para atrakcyjnie z czerwone mięso
jak mięso podczas biały wino praca skutecznie z biały kolorowe mięso jak
ryby lub drób. Gdy wiek, będzie prawdopodobnie zauważyć, że pamięć teraz dużo mniej wydajna.
a osoby ludzkiego mózgu Doświadczenie spadek kwota mózgu materiał komórkowy bo przedziały wiekowe.
Jesteś w stanie rozważyć liczba Metody do zmniejszy efekty z Era
- związane przekształcenia. utrzymać przechowywanie ostry, chcesz zrobić działalność
na przykład lub cieszyć kartki z życzeniami
z bliskich przyjaciół do trening twój mózg. Utrzymywanie się emocjonalnie i społecznie żywy pomogą Twój Funkcje.

Posted by: schöne badeanzüge 2012

how many cups is 100 grams of rice

Posted by: http://designshack.net

June 2, 2014

free coupons chilis

Posted by: http://jazztimes.com/

June 2, 2014

regalo extra long double bed rail

Posted by: support.thesfe.com

June 2, 2014

how to connect rca to hdmi tv

Posted by: heello.com

May 18, 2014

I will give a speech in front of thousands of people from only a couple of notes and
make the audience interested and amused for two main or 3 hours.
If were full with this kind of enthusiasm and impetus, we could
make good works.

Posted by: http://tiny.cc/c758cx

May 14, 2014
May 9, 2014

Any incident happening in the world comes out in a moment by means of different sources.
These realities could have caused one to cry and ask, ‘Why me’.

Posted by: here

May 4, 2014

あとアメリカ帰りの選手はウェーバー制にして、最下位チームから優先して採るとかにしたほうがええかもな。
メンしだいだけど自分でメリットもデメリットも覚悟してんならいいんじゃね? 未成年飲酒って売った店が怒られるだけで飲んだやつがどうこうされる法律とか条令ってあるの?

Posted by: ナチュラルカラコン 1day

April 27, 2014

Google will not remove these links or even tell you where
they are coming from. Our dedicated and diligent team professionals ensure Top 10 search engine rankings.
Instead, write five good 400 ‘ 600 word articles a day and submit them
to high quality article directories, web 2.

Posted by: http://www.streetfire.net/profile/bryanboelter.htm

April 27, 2014

One way to achieve better ranking in the search engine like Google and Yahoo is to
avail the services of SEO India and get SEO article written for
the websites. Along with the increasing number of backlinks,
one must also ensure the quality of backlinks should also be
considered. While pay per click advertising has
its benefits, unpaid or organic search traffic is more valuable than the traffic that is generated with the help of
click ads that are paid.

Posted by: http://www.parul.ac.in/

April 25, 2014

One way to achieve better ranking in the search engine like Google and Yahoo
is to avail the services of SEO India and get SEO article
written for the websites. Along with the increasing number of backlinks, one must also ensure the quality of backlinks should also be considered.

Many top e – Bay stores have custom pages for each category,
with more pages for individual sections.

Posted by: Www.Threadless.Com

February 7, 2014

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as
I provide credit and sources back to your webpage? My website is in the
very same niche as yours and my users would genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you provide here.
Please let me know if this ok with you. Thank you!

Posted by: binäre optionen

February 1, 2014

I am actually happy to glance at this blog posts which contains
plenty of valuable information, thanks for providing these
kinds of information.

Posted by: forties skin care

December 24, 2013

It’s hard to find well-informed people on this topic, but you seem like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

Posted by: Go Here

December 17, 2013

Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any method you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Enoch Parkey

December 17, 2013

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thanks Nevertheless I’m experiencing issue with ur rss . Don�t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting similar rss drawback? Anybody who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx

Posted by: Bethany Mafnas

October 10, 2013

Our Cabling and data installers Aurora, Data cable installers aurora and Data cable installers Naperville provide wide range of installation, remodeling and repairing services.

Posted by: Data Cable Installers Naperville

July 31, 2013

The information and facts on this site is very interesting worthwhile. I have discovered lots of tactics.

Posted by: garden clippers

July 27, 2013

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Posted by: Student Travel

July 22, 2013

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So good to seek out any individual with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thanks for beginning this up. this web site is one thing that’s wanted on the internet, somebody with a little originality. helpful job for bringing one thing new to the web!

Posted by: Bailey Thoroughman

July 19, 2013

Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I wish to put in writing like this moreover � taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article however what can I say I procrastinate alot and in no way appear to get one thing done.

Posted by: Whitney Vosmus

May 19, 2013

What I seen this year: the cloud is here to stay; the way we consume entertainment is changing dramatically; and, in less than a decade, one billion more people will be using mobile devices and accessing the internet.

By next year smartphones will sport the latest in visual technology, 4K screens, that is 4 times the clarity of HD screens. With all these devices users will be in want of more apps, especially entertainment.

Posted by: electronic components

July 17, 2014

shopifyninjas.zendesk.com

How the Cloud Will Finally Dominate Consumer Electronics « A Smarter Planet Blog A Smarter Planet Blog

Posted by: shopifyninjas.zendesk.com

May 10, 2014

マタニティウェアいつから

Posted by: マタニティウェアいつから

May 9, 2014

お問い合わせ

Posted by: お問い合わせ

April 29, 2014

[…] this link right here now click the following post click this over here now go to the website Stimulate them and encourage your personnel. As an […]

Posted by: Increase Your Management Abilities With These Sound Advice | Заработок на Форекс!

April 29, 2014

[…] Full File Full Piece of writing Improving your abilities as being a string leader will assist a business advance, as well as your own private relationships. People have to step-up as a leader at some time, so keep the following tips under consideration. It is essential to usually take note of assistance that has been given to you. […]

Posted by: Desire To Be An Organization Head? This Is For You Personally | Заработок на Форекс!

September 24, 2012

[...] Technology News: How the Cloud Will Finally Dominate Consumer Electronics Even as one business model for consumer electronics dominates, the next one is always taking shape, usually right under our noses. When the Blackberry arrived in 1999, my boss at the time, the CEO of a start-up, received one, tested it, and gave up using it, wondering why anyone would want constant access to email. He gave it to me and I loved it. It had a kind of gee-whiz factor that delighted and surprised users. Read full story => A Smarter Planet [...]

Posted by: In the News: 2012-09-24 | Klaus' Korner