September, 11th 2012
15:00

By Danny Lu, business analyst, Los Angeles Unified School Districts

Heading into the second week of September, the hallways of the Los Angeles School District (LAUSD) are already buzzing with the sounds of students and teachers settling in for another school year.

Similar to many other schools around the nation, LAUSD is also facing another year of budget cuts to several of its education programs and extracurricular activities. In fact, a survey from the American Association of School Administrators cites that more than 8 in 10 school districts in the U.S. are inadequately funded for the coming year. Clearly, we all must do more with less.

We chose to tackle this problem head on and find innovative ways where we could help reduce costs and keep the focus on our number one priority: the students.

As the second largest school district in the US, our campus spans 14,000 buildings and is spread out over 710 square miles. With more than 300,000 maintenance service requests every single year, the upkeep of our school happens to be one of the main areas we have spent too much time, money and energy. Often times, all of our resources go into locating and reporting a problem before we even have a chance to fix it.

But now, LAUSD has a new weapon to help our repair crews stay steps ahead of the problems — our army of 700,000 students. With nearly 25 percent of kids between the ages of 14 and 17 already owning a smartphone, we enlisted their help — along with the rest of our faculty and staff — to act as living sensors and report maintenance problems they saw first hand using their mobile devices.

Now, students can do much more with these devices than just play Angry Birds and keep up with their social networks. They can also use their phones to be responsible citizens and help keep their schools in tip top shape.

Through analytics technology provided by IBM, and a mobile app through IBM partner CitySourced, users have turned their smartphones into a sensor to help us identify maintenance issues in need of repair — from a leaky faucet, smashed windows, graffiti to broken toilets.

Add to this the power of crowdsourcing, and this simple mobile app enables the school district to engage its students, faculty and staff to help keep their schools clean and safe.

With the use of the new mobile app, all reported issues sent with a simple text or photo goes directly to the school’s maintenance office. Each request also contains GIS information to pinpoint locations so workers know exactly where to route staff, saving time and resources.

Prior to this crowdsourcing app, we relied on faculty and staff to report maintenance issues with the campus plant manager, requiring the manager to decipher and pinpoint each issue before the appropriate personnel was sent to solve the problem. It was a time consuming process.

These results shows that leveraging tools that already exist, combined with a little ingenuity can create drastic improvements. So, despite those long, lazy summer days already being a distant memory, I know that as students and teachers walk down our halls, they’ll appreciate knowing that the days they spend on our campus will be safer, greener and more efficient thanks to their own hard work.

October 12, 2014

I don’t even understand how I ended up here, but I thought this put
up was good. I don’t realize who you are however certainly you are going to a well-known blogger
should you aren’t already. Cheers!

Posted by: Suzette

September 7, 2014

Therefore there is hardly any need to take the risk in this matter.
He is one famous personality behind the perfect health of
thousands of his trusted viewers who nearly worship
him on his television shows. Therefore, the sale
of ephedra pills is illegal in US.

Posted by: garcinia Wow

September 5, 2014

Extract of Garcinia is an impressive weight-loss method that has transformed
the lifestyles of numerous people. In fact, I always suggest
to those overweight vegetarians to keep to a max of 4
pounds a week so you won’t suffer loose skin post weight loss.
Raubenheimer, a professor at the University of Sydney,
said it’s not surprising obesity has soared during the past 60 years, as protein has become a smaller part of our diets, and carb intake has soared.

Posted by: garcinia weight loss scam

September 3, 2014

Arrest their attention by using rich colors and well
defined graphics. Long haul targets are the final consequence of all these
deliberations – more prominent deceivability, profit and gainfulness.
This is where businesses can inspire and move people.

Posted by: social media marketing report

August 31, 2014

Hi there to every one, it’s genuinely a nice for me to pay a quick visit this web page, it includes priceless Information.

Posted by: dwi Defense lawyer

August 24, 2014

I do not even know the way I finished up right here, however I believed this put up used
to be great. I do not realize who you might be however certainly you’re going to a
famous blogger if you happen to are not already.

Cheers!

Posted by: Norwalk dui defense

August 23, 2014

Many anglers avoid the use of whole eggs altogether because
they although they contain all kinds of essential nutritional
components fish are obviously going to recognise them from previous egg-containing baits plus eggs affect digestion in various
ways. The largest inland body of water found in Maryland is Deep Creek Lake.
Freshwater fish can be placed in the live well on the boat,
or on a stringer to keep it alive until you are able to clean it.

Posted by: fiberglass norcold marine refrigerators boat

August 22, 2014

Unlocks the Think Fast title and the League Grenade emblem.

You can swing by the Ranger Compound now if you want some supplies,
but there isn’t much worth getting. Your task is to create balance and find an eating style that
feels nourishing to you.

Posted by: Moving Companies Denver long distance

August 22, 2014

You can keep your spray tan longer by using products that
will not only preserve its color but also enhances it. So try to follow
the tips aforementioned to get rid of the
farmer’s tan. IMPORTANT: Make sure you are purchasing UV protective clothing that is put together and
manufactured with strict AAD guidelines,
you don.

Posted by: xen fake tan

August 9, 2014

Link exchange is nothing else however it is just placing the other person’s weblog link on your page at appropriate place and other person will
also do same in support of you.

Posted by: is renting a vacation home at disney the right choice for you

August 8, 2014

I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of
area . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this web site.
Reading this info So i’m satisfied to exhibit that I have an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I
found out exactly what I needed. I such a lot
certainly will make certain to don?t omit this site and provides
it a glance on a constant basis.

Posted by: dui attorney san diego

July 20, 2014

My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to be exactly I’m looking for.

Do you offer guest writers to write content in your case?
I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on a number
of the subjects you write with regards to here. Again, awesome web log!

Posted by: Lawyer Fees In Peoria Il

July 17, 2014

I tend not to leave a bunch of comments, but i did a few searching and wound up here Smartphones Keeping Schools in Tip Top Shape

Posted by: boy medding suit

July 29, 2013

Nice post. I be taught something more difficult on completely different blogs everyday. It is going to at all times be stimulating to read content from other writers and follow a bit something from their store. I�d want to use some with the content on my blog whether you don�t mind. Natually I�ll provide you with a link on your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Muriel Rakes

July 28, 2013

Can I just say what a aid to seek out someone who truly knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know the right way to bring a problem to mild and make it important. More individuals have to read this and understand this aspect of the story. I cant consider youre not more in style because you undoubtedly have the gift.

Posted by: Frankie Hammar

July 27, 2013

Spot on with this write-up, I really suppose this website needs rather more consideration. I�ll most likely be again to read rather more, thanks for that info.

Posted by: Aubrey Lumley

July 19, 2013

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know the best way to deliver an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

Posted by: Melony Brabble

July 14, 2013

Truly insightful bless you, I’m sure your current visitors could quite possibly want even more posts of this naturel maintain the excellent get the job done.

Posted by: Ashley Kindt

September 17, 2012

LA schools is a great example of what can be done with a technology we all have and I love the video format of the story. It brought me right into what was going on. Not your typical corporate video.

Posted by: James B. Franklyn

September 14, 2012

Thank you for this wonderfully innovative project and for the creative way you described it in the video.

Posted by: Ginger Swope

September 12, 2012

I love the video used at the top — very effective in how straightforward and simple it is. You’ve captured the topic so well and in an impactful way. I grew up in the LA school system and recognize some of the buildings you represent!

Posted by: Wendy Clark

July 30, 2014

Safety Meeting Topics

Smarter Buildings Archives « A Smarter Planet Blog A Smarter Planet Blog

Posted by: Safety Meeting Topics

May 28, 2014

my review here

Smartphones Keeping Schools in Tip Top Shape « A Smarter Planet Blog A Smarter Planet Blog

Posted by: my review here

August 19, 2013

[...] the full article click here. (function() {var s = document.createElement('SCRIPT'), s1 = [...]

Posted by: Smartphones Keeping LAUSD Schools in Tip Top Shape | CitySourced Blog