By Ron van Kemenade, CIO ING Bank Netherlands

Who said banking was boring?

Let me explain first … before you conclude that banking is indeed boring. Banking is typically regarded as a low involvement product, a boring product. Based on some interesting research, however, we discovered that people actually have a lot of emotions and feelings when banking.

We recently asked and observed retail and business customers about our products and service – what they liked and disliked. It was part of a joint project with our Marketing team to study customer human emotions such as anger, boredom and surprise to see what affect if any they had on the ING brand.

Here’s what we found.

With routine banking, our research shows that customers feel bored and safe and have minimal emotional reaction. With complex banking products, more extreme emotions such as fear, hope and nervousness play a role. With complex banking products, customers feel emotions and feelings about fear and hope.

It may not come as a surprise to most that emotions play a significant role, but from a banker’s perspective, it was a great insight. The research clearly showed that we needed to pay more attention to the customer experience. In a very short time we had a banking crisis, and now we are dealing with the Euro crisis. So it’s understandable that customers today are insecure about their financial future.

Within ING, we had always focused IT on creating more efficiency and effectiveness. When dealing with other people’s money, we can’t afford any mistakes in our processes. Dealing or developing products was mostly about solving a problem from a technical standpoint.

The past few years have taught us that efficiency in customer interactions is not enough. To become the preferred bank for customers, we have to build a relationship of trust by delivering excellent products at a fair price and mitigating negative emotions surrounding personal finance. We’re now building a culture where we solve problems from a customer’s perspective vs. just from a technical standpoint.

I’m very enthusiastic about the possibilities that current technology will give us in the coming years, and this will only improve. CMOs and CIOs together must forge a shared agenda to drive marketing innovation, blending the art of marketing with the science of technology. As a CIO today, for instance, it’s important to consider how technology affects all departments in addition to managing traditional IT management responsibilities. Success for ING is not only doing things in a more efficient and effective way. It’s also taking into account the emotions when dealing with our bank and putting technology to work in creating great customer experiences.

On Tuesday, September 4th at 1 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CET, Ron van Kemenade, CIO ING Bank Netherlands and Yuchun Lee , vice president and general manager for IBM’s Enterprise Marketing Management Group will participate in a twitter chat about how Smarter Commerce plays a role at ING, what it takes to market to the digital customer, and the why it’s so important for the CMO and CIO to forge a solid relationship. To join the conversation follow the hashtag #GetRealChat or follow  @INGnl_Ron and Yuchun Lee and  @IBMSmrtCommerce.

April 25, 2014

Great goods from you, man. I’ve take note your stuff previous to and you’re simply too wonderful. I really like what you have obtained here, certainly like what you’re saying and the best way during which you are saying it. You’re making it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it sensible. I can not wait to learn far more from you. That is actually a wonderful web site.

Posted by: manual traffic exchanges,manual traffic exchange script,free manual traffic exchange,best manual traffic exchanges,top manual traffic exchanges,manual traffic exchange for sale,

February 18, 2014
September 9, 2013

Hello there, I disovered your sit by way of Google even
as looking for a similar topic, your site got here up, it appears to be like good.
I have bookmarked iit in mmy google bookmarks.
Hello there, simply become alert to your blog through Google,
and located that it is really informative. I am gonna be careful for brussels.
I’ll be grateful should you proceed this in future.
Lots of other folks shall be benefited out
of your writing. Cheers!

Posted by: polecam tutaj filmowanie konferencji

August 7, 2013

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is great blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

Posted by: Emotional Health

July 31, 2013

The important information at this website is enormously effective informative. I have learned quite a few recommendations.

Posted by: ratchet pruners

July 29, 2013

An fascinating dialogue is value comment. I feel that you need to write extra on this matter, it won’t be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Posted by: Hank Omelia

July 29, 2013

This is the suitable blog for anyone who desires to search out out about this topic. You notice so much its nearly arduous to argue with you (not that I really would wantHaHa). You positively put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

Posted by: Marla Mortinez

July 28, 2013

I would like to get across my gratitude for your kind-heartedness giving support to men and women who require assistance with this particular area of interest. Your personal commitment to passing the message along had been extraordinarily advantageous and has in most cases empowered guys and women much like me to get to their dreams. Your new insightful help signifies so much a person like me and somewhat more to my office colleagues. Warm regards; from everyone of us.

Posted by: Home Accessories

July 25, 2013

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this web site wants way more consideration. I�ll probably be once more to learn way more, thanks for that info.

Posted by: Latesha Florentino

July 24, 2013

I�m impressed, I need to say. Really not often do I encounter a blog that�s both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the difficulty is something that not enough individuals are speaking intelligently about. I am very pleased that I stumbled across this in my search for something referring to this.

Posted by: Charolette Wdowiak

July 22, 2013

Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I am experiencing challenge with ur rss . Don�t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss downside? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Posted by: Gayle Blayney

July 20, 2013

I’m not sure I agree from a technical perspective. But, at the end of the day, I guess our personal opinions are shaped by our previous experience with it. Anyway,…Best Wishes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qSJSUOYmsg

Posted by: Angeline Vanderwall

June 3, 2013

A excellent reveal, I merely given this with a co-worker who has been managing a bit seek out with this. The particular husband in fact invested in i lunch break due to the I find understand it to him / her.. be pleased. Therefore , listen up reword which typically: Thnx for this take on! But bear in mind yes Thnkx when it comes to purchasing time for you to hot debate now this, Prefer actually sense clearly over it together with seriously comparable mastering much more this situation situation. As long as capability, simply comparable you turned into competence, might you insights replacing your site with facts? It’s tremendously terrific for me. Huge thumb further up for this purpose article!

Posted by: how to find a little black dress pattern online9

May 21, 2013

A joint venture (JV) is a business agreement in which the parties agree to develop, for a finite time, a new entity and new assets by contributing equity. They exercise control over the enterprise and consequently share revenues, expenses and assets. There are other types of companies such as JV limited by guarantee, joint ventures limited by guarantee with partners holding shares.;’,:

Keep it up

Posted by: Jere Niewiadomski

1 Trackback

December 14, 2012

[...] over by competitors who do understand and are working to harness this new paradigm to focus on the individual customer more [...]

Posted by: Banking on Cloud to Target the Individual « A Smarter Planet Blog