October, 26th 2012
7:45

Avi Marco, CTO, insurethebox

By Avi Marco

At insurethebox, a telematics-based car insurance company in the U.K., we focus on all aspects of data – integrating internal and external sources. Big Data is at the core of our business mission which is to focus on encouraging safe driving and helping to reduce the cost of car insurance, especially for young drivers.

By placing a telematics device slightly bigger than a mobile phone under the dashboard and connecting it to a GPS and other sensors, we are able to capture data from these devices and analyze key aspects of driving, including how, where, when and for what duration the car is being driven – and at what speed.

The key to our business model is being able to turn all this data into value for the consumer. Our customers purchase an annual 6,000-mile or 8,000-mile insurance policy that can be topped up if they run out of miles, and customers who drive well at responsible speeds, and who take breaks on long trips, for example, can earn extra miles and apply them to their policies.

YouTube Preview Image

To give you some idea of how “big” our Big Data is, think of it in these terms:  in excess of 300 million miles of data increasing at 25 million per month and 80 million trips, with each trip containing latitude, longitude, speed, G-force, type of road, length of trip and GPS quality. We have also managed 111,000 incident/crash alerts with data recorded at 100th of a second around point of impact, and over 30 million quotes in two years.

While these stats may leave you breathless, there’s more to come, as we anticipate data volumes to increase 100-fold in the near term thanks to ongoing advances in telematics.

A new global report on the real-world use of Big Data – based on a survey of 1,144 business and IT professional in 95 countries conducted by IBM and the University of Oxford’s Said Business School – reveals that less than half of the organizations engaged in Big Data efforts are currently analyzing external data, and only 43 percent are looking at social media for deeper understanding about consumer preferences. It’s clear that many businesses today are missing out on opportunities to turn information into insights to aid smarter decision-making and business outcomes.

At insurethebox, our challenge is finding ways to continuously innovate and adapt in order to make the most effective use of our data-driven business model. After all, to paraphrase Darwin, “It is not the biggest that survive, or the most intelligent, it will be those that are the most adaptable.”

Big Data offers the chance to be smart and adapt – and to do this we must be smart about how we use it.

July 11, 2014

Thanks for sharing superb informations

Posted by: mi40x download

June 11, 2014

Thanks for sharing superb informations

Posted by: No Website Millionaire Review

May 19, 2014

Thanks d

Posted by: Money Making Walkthroughs Review

May 13, 2014

have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or weblog posts

Posted by: Restore My Vision Today Review

May 13, 2014

Posted by: Restore My Vision Today Review

March 29, 2014

This site is known as a stroll-by means of for all of the info you wanted about this and didn

Posted by: Telecharger Pokemon X et Y rom

December 20, 2013

A formidable share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing just a little evaluation on this. And he in actual fact purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If doable, as you change into experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra particulars? It’s extremely useful for me. Large thumb up for this weblog put up!

Posted by: Myles Wahlers

December 19, 2013

This is the suitable blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would wantHaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

Posted by: Annabell Hartlep

August 6, 2013

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog. An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.

Posted by: preschool educational toys

August 2, 2013

I wish to express my affection for your generosity giving support to people that need assistance with this important subject matter. Your special commitment to passing the message up and down was extraordinarily productive and have in every case made some individuals just like me to arrive at their pursuits. Your amazing insightful help and advice means much a person like me and especially to my mates. Many thanks; from all of us.

Posted by: home developments home

August 2, 2013

great publish, very informative. I ponder why the opposite specialists of this sector do not notice this. You should proceed your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

Posted by: it the wedding

July 31, 2013

I am not certain where you’re getting your information, but good topic. I must spend some time learning much more or figuring out more. Thanks for fantastic info I was searching for this information for my mission.

Posted by: car paint

July 31, 2013

obviously like your web site but you have to test the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very bothersome to tell the reality nevertheless I will definitely come again again.

Posted by: College

July 28, 2013

There are some interesting points in time on this article however I don�t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity however I’ll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want extra! Added to FeedBurner as effectively

Posted by: Lien Islar

July 25, 2013

Can I just say what a aid to seek out someone who truly knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know how to deliver a problem to mild and make it important. More individuals have to read this and understand this aspect of the story. I cant consider youre not more well-liked because you undoubtedly have the gift.

Posted by: Casey Deuink

November 9, 2012

Social media is an interesting source of data but there are obviously major concerns about how to use the data.

Posted by: Calgary Driving School

1 Trackback

December 14, 2012

[...] future will be claimed by those able to see critical patterns among this overwhelming complexity — and the partnership between IBM and Ohio State will ensure [...]

Posted by: The Ohio State University and IBM partnership — Turning Big Data into Big Ideas « A Smarter Planet Blog