Dr. Michael Rappa, Big Data Commission Academic Co-Chair; founding director of the Institute for Advanced Analytics at North Carolina State University and principal architect of its Master of Science in Analytics degree program

By Dr. Michael Rappa

There are various studies looking at the current shortfall of talented analytics experts in today’s data-hungry workforce. But here in the Tarheel State, we’ve focused our attention towards the future – akin to a living, breathing predictive model – to create a dynamic program that trains brilliant minds to handle data, and leading to the ultimate outcome: job offers to 90 percent of our graduating students.

By now many of us have heard about how quickly data is growing (from 1,200 exabytes in 2010 to 35,000 exabytes by 2020, as predicted by IDC). The promise for a better understanding of data is one of the reasons a $200 million Big Data research and development initiative was announced by the Obama Administration last spring.

To further explore the various ways our government can benefit from data, I recently participated in a Big Data Commission led by the TechAmerica Foundation, along with my academic peers and leaders from the technology industry and government. Our findings are detailed in a report, entitled Demystifying Big Data: A Practical Guide to Transforming the Business of Government, that outlines how big data can be utilized to better serve the country and citizens.

The increasing need for data-relevant skills is evident in recent estimates from analyst firm Forrester, which state that firms effectively utilize less than five percent of available data, mainly due to the lack of proper data training and expertise. Keeping this in mind, it is important for more universities to prepare students for future job opportunities related to data handling. The Big Data Commission report backs up the notion that there is a need for these kinds of data handling skills, and at North Carolina State University (NCSU), we work hard to help students realize the enormous opportunities they have in this field. As highlighted by the report, we found that one of the keys to seizing the big data opportunity in government lies in educating and training our federal workforce in analytics and data science.

As discussed in articles from the Washington Post and New York Times, universities and colleges across the country are developing data analytics focused curriculum and degree programs aimed at closing the skills gap. As a professor involved in supporting both NCSU’s Institute for Advanced Analytics and its Master of Science in Analytics (MSA) degree program, I have experienced first-hand how students are embracing these new technological competencies. The first of its kind NCSU MSA program helps provide students with the practical quantitative skills and technical business understanding needed to transform them into highly sought-after analytics professionals.

Our dynamic MSA curriculum is aimed at meeting the constantly evolving needs of both student and employer and since the program’s 2007 inception, over 90 percent of our MSA students have received offers of employment by graduation. And these offers aren’t only from the IT sector. Our students are being hired by a variety of industries, from new ventures to large multinationals. Additionally, on average, experienced MSA graduates are earning a nearly 30 percent higher salary ($100K vs. $77K), compared to their less experienced counterparts – further exemplifying the continued demand for skills and prospect for growth within this field.

In addition to recommending that the Federal government establish an IT Leadership Academy to provide Big Data and related IT training and certification, our assessment emphasizes the necessity of data intensive degree programs and scholarships to prepare the next generation of data handlers. Another of our recommendations is to better leverage big data talent by establishing analytics and Big Data internships for college students to bring their skills to government agencies, giving students with high tech skills a foothold in organizations and departments that are in need of their help. Incorporating analytics and evidence-based reasoning across all areas of business, from marketing to economics, and political science to government relations, allows students to combine their technical savvy and business skills, providing them with more well-rounded business sense.

For the government specifically, the inability to capture, sift through, and analyze the growing amount and variety of data can prove hugely detrimental, as data handling will be crucial to solving our country’s challenges. In addition, it will help our government spur innovation, strengthening our economy through technological advancements in business and society. As explained in a recent opinion piece for The Hill by IBM Senior Vice President and Big Data Commission Co-Chair, Steve Mills, government officials who are armed with Big Data will be better able to address current issues, predict future ones, and have the insight to make more informed decisions on behalf of the American people.

As businesses, government and universities embrace new training and instruction we will see the true potential of Big Data and the impact it will have in the world.

May 3, 2014

なになに、自分でカラコン落としてクレームつけて、
カラコンの多くは韓国製、台湾製、シンガポール製で、それらの国は進化したコンタクトレンズを作る技術も特許もないため、 それいちばん救いがないんじゃないのかw
通販やら量販店では出さなくていいのが現状 卒業したら26か、留年なんかしたら大変やで

Posted by: 経由

December 10, 2013

Thanks for the Impressive Article you shared between us. big data enables us to analyze more accurately, make more confident decisions and realize better operational efficiencies. As we centralize additional data sets and correlate them, we find new relationships through which we can handle our data.

waiting for more text in this content

Posted by: sandhaya

September 3, 2013

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent web site.
I stumbledupon it ;) I will come back once again since i have bookmarked it.
Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide others.

Posted by: Montaż klimatyzacji krakóW

August 6, 2013

I’m still learning from you, while I’m making my way to the top as well. I certainly enjoy reading all that is posted on your website.Keep the information coming. I loved it!

Posted by: Business

August 5, 2013

Great work! That is the type of information that are meant to be shared across the internet. Shame on the search engines for now not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and visit my website . Thank you =)

Posted by: Italian Shoes

August 4, 2013

Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your web site in web explorer, may check this¡K IE nonetheless is the market leader and a big component of other folks will pass over your wonderful writing due to this problem.

Posted by: travel bag

August 1, 2013

I simply had to thank you very much yet again. I am not sure the things I would have achieved without those hints provided by you regarding that concern. It seemed to be a very difficult concern in my view, however , viewing the professional way you dealt with that made me to weep over gladness. I am just thankful for this advice and as well , expect you recognize what an amazing job you’re carrying out training other individuals through the use of your web blog. Most probably you’ve never come across any of us.

Posted by: Luxury Hotel

July 30, 2013

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit of analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If attainable, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Massive thumb up for this blog publish!

Posted by: Boris Bonamo

July 28, 2013

I’ve been surfing online more than 3 hours these days, but I never discovered any interesting article like yours. It¡¦s lovely worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

Posted by: Home Design Ideas

July 27, 2013

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any approach you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Lucas Dolley

July 23, 2013

I found your weblog site on google and examine a couple of of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the very good operate. I simply additional up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Looking for ahead to studying extra from you later on!

Posted by: Camie Stassinos

January 16, 2013

Posted by: Bibo

November 8, 2012

I got a lot of useful and significant information. Thank you so much…

Posted by: TaLa

November 8, 2012

Excellent stuff from you, man. I’ve read your things before and you are just too awesome. You make it entertaining and you still manage to keep it smart ! I adore what you have got right here.

Posted by: John Locke

October 23, 2012

This is what exactly I was searching, the information was overall very useful for me, thanks a lot.
hotel london

Posted by: Miss.R

October 10, 2012

I agree that for the government specifically, the inability to capture, sift through, and analyze the growing amount and variety of data can prove hugely detrimental, as data handling will be crucial to solving our country’s challenges.

Posted by: Employment agency

December 14, 2012

[...] gap exists because four revolutionary technologies are emerging at once: business analytics, cloud computing, mobile computing and social business. Each of them is a force to be reckoned [...]

Posted by: To Make the Most of Today’s Tech, We Need to Fill a Yawning Skills Gap « A Smarter Planet Blog

October 25, 2012

[...] Electing Big Data: How federal Agencies can benefit from Analytics skills [...]

Posted by: Data science news | Gramener blog