November, 1st 2012
1:00

Charlotte Davies, Crime Analyst, Environmental Investigation Agency

By Charlotte Davies

From tracking the illegal trading of ozone-depleting substances, to helping law enforcement agencies stop the trade of endangered big cats in Asia, data analytics increasingly is being used to fight environmental crime. Much like organized crime, environmental crime can be localized or global. Left unchecked, it can threaten biodiversity and species’ survival on a global level.

Part of my mission as a crime analyst is to assist the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) in protecting the last of Asia’s endangered big cats — including the tiger, leopard, snow leopard and clouded leopard — which currently face various threats including habitat degradation, prey decline and poaching for their skin and bones. Using data analytics, my ability to track the illegal trade is now easier.

The worldwide population of tigers stands at around 3,500. The urgent need to save them has garnered the attention of key national and intergovernmental organizations. Despite global attention to this issue, these tigers continue to be threatened by the transnational, illegal trade in their skins, bones and other body parts.

For many years, the EIA, with its partner Wildlife Protection Society of India, has conducted covert field investigations into the illegal Asian big cat trade and encountered first-hand the traffickers and dealers involved. From the data perspective, these investigations generate a wealth of information. Historically, this data was stored in various formats — nominal information on profile sheets with telephone numbers and photographic records attached. EIA also kept tabs on enforcement events such as seizures and arrests, collating this historical information within a database.

Over time, the number of investigations increased and the amount of unstructured data grew. It became increasingly difficult to unbundle the vast amount of records. In a trade characterised by repeat offenders, favoured trafficking routes and persistent trading hubs, EIA sought a smarter way to organize the information — a method to interrogate and explore the inter-connectedness of subjects and events, and draw hypotheses.

With IBM investigative analytics software, EIA can now visually and persuasively demonstrate the nodes of inter-related criminal activities, providing a clearer picture to policy makers of what is happening in the black market. Analytics help to arrange and integrate information, suggest and draw common themes, reveal linkages and hone investigations to where the impact will be greatest.

By using this software, we’ve recently linked seemingly disparate cases of trafficking of different species to a group of enterprises, and then isolated further connections between associates of this network and additional trafficking cases in completely different countries. EIA can also export and share intelligence, tailored to partner specifications, with law enforcement agencies and other NGOs combating the illegal trade. Such results help EIA campaign for more meaningful and effective enforcement commitments.

EIA’s investigations into the illegal trade in Asian big cats — including tigers —  demonstrate not only that the trade exists and is ongoing, but also the dynamics of the criminality involved and the impact that targeted, intelligence-led operations can have in breaking up the networks perpetuating the trade.

________________________________________________________

Charlotte Davies joined EIA in 2008, and works on illegal wildlife trade and forest issues. Join Charlotte and Shaun Hipgrave, Strategic Alliances, Intelligence Analysis, IBM UK, on  a People for a Smarter Planet tweet chat on Thursday, 8 November at 9:00 AM ET (2PM UK time). To join, follow #P4SPChat.

EIA is an independent campaigning organization committed to bringing about change that protects the natural world from environmental crime and abuse. EIA can be followed on twitter @EIAinvestigator.

August 10, 2014

It’s great to hear that people are doing things to protect wildlife. Too often wildlife is overseen by hunters to promote a stock to ‘harvest’ that shouldn’t be what wildlife preservation should be about. Climate change is also bearing large on wildlife habitats.

Posted by: Sean

October 20, 2013

“EIA’s investigations into the illegal trade in Asian big cats — including tigers — demonstrate not only that the trade exists and is ongoing, but also the dynamics of the criminality involved and the impact that targeted, intelligence-led operations can have in breaking up the networks perpetuating the trade.”

I wonder if the software can help stray housecats

Posted by: Cat lover

August 6, 2013

You completed some fine points there. I did a search on the theme and found most folks will have the same opinion with your blog.

Posted by: home decorating ideas

August 5, 2013

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things about it!

Posted by: cheapest rental cars

August 3, 2013

Thanks , I have recently been searching for information about this topic for a long time and yours is the best I have discovered till now. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?

Posted by: home

August 2, 2013

My husband and i got really comfortable Raymond managed to finish up his survey using the ideas he grabbed from your very own web page. It is now and again perplexing to just continually be making a gift of secrets and techniques other folks could have been making money from. So we do know we now have the writer to give thanks to because of that. All of the illustrations you’ve made, the easy site navigation, the friendships your site help to engender – it’s got mostly astounding, and it’s really leading our son and the family believe that this subject matter is thrilling, and that is pretty fundamental. Many thanks for the whole lot!

Posted by: home insurance insurance

August 2, 2013

Wow, wonderful weblog format! How long have you ever been running a blog for? you make running a blog look easy. The overall glance of your web site is excellent, as smartly as the content material!

Posted by: Early Childhood Education

August 2, 2013

You really make it seem really easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something that I think I might never understand. It seems too complicated and very vast for me. I’m having a look forward in your subsequent post, I will attempt to get the hang of it!

Posted by: to home improvement

August 2, 2013

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be a lot more useful than ever before.

Posted by: interior design for

August 1, 2013

I truly wanted to jot down a small comment so as to express gratitude to you for some of the precious suggestions you are posting here. My long internet research has at the end been rewarded with professional concept to write about with my close friends. I ‘d admit that we site visitors actually are extremely fortunate to exist in a notable community with very many marvellous individuals with useful principles. I feel pretty happy to have discovered your website page and look forward to many more excellent times reading here. Thank you once more for all the details.

Posted by: friends and relatives

July 31, 2013

I’m still learning from you, as I’m trying to achieve my goals. I definitely enjoy reading all that is written on your site.Keep the stories coming. I loved it!

Posted by: health health options

July 31, 2013

I think this is among the most vital info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

Posted by: photography

July 31, 2013

Thank you for your own efforts on this web site. My mum take interest in carrying out investigations and it’s really easy to understand why. Most people hear all relating to the lively method you convey both interesting and useful tips on your web blog and even improve contribution from other people about this area of interest then our own girl is in fact studying a lot of things. Have fun with the remaining portion of the new year. You’re the one carrying out a really good job.

Posted by: hints and tips

July 29, 2013

I�m impressed, I have to say. Really hardly ever do I encounter a blog that�s both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you may have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is outstanding; the problem is something that not enough persons are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something regarding this.

Posted by: Krysta Stambach

July 28, 2013

An fascinating discussion is value comment. I feel that you need to write more on this matter, it won’t be a taboo subject but usually individuals are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Posted by: Nathanael Kunert

July 20, 2013

There are definitely a variety of details like that to take into consideration. That may be a great point to bring up. I supply the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing can be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged around things like that, but I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment�s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Dannette Schopflin

November 6, 2012

Charlotte,

Great job and keep up the great work you and your colleagues are doing for our wildlife and forests. I live in Oregon and recently saw a special program on old growth forests. It was sad to hear that these will never come back. That includes all the wildlife, fauna that relied on this particular habitat. Although, the enforcement of the illegal wildlife trade and forest issues will need a bit more work.

Posted by: Mary VanAssche