November, 12th 2012
12:30

By Mark Fidelman, Conference Director, BusinessNext Social at New Media Expo

By Mark Fidelman

The fates of the world’s businesses and their ability to become social are inextricably linked, and both are picking up momentum. Most companies today realize the imperative to connect with their customers, employees, and partners through social technologies. Despite this acknowledgement that social is the way, we’ve got a long way to go before every business is a social business.

There are still a variety of challenges organizations are working to overcome before a holistic change can take place. The most common obstacles are cultural implications, engagement among employees, how to measure ROI, and even education among middle managers.

I’ve spent the past year interviewing and gathering insights from some of the most successful companies on the planet, learning how they’re taking advantage of social networking technology, both internally and externally, to better reach customers, capture business value and drive their bottom line. I’ve incorporated my findings and some of my own experiences in my new book, Socialized!: How the Most Successful Businesses Harness the Power of Social, a playbook for how to create a high-performing social enterprise.

My experience talking to these leading organizations is supported by a new report released today from IBM. The report reveals that while companies are increasing their social business investments, middle managers are struggling to embrace social networking capabilities as part of their day-to-day work. IBM’s survey of 1,160 business and IT professionals shows that while 46 percent of the organizations increased their investments in social technologies in 2012, only 22 percent believed that managers are prepared to incorporate social tools and approaches into their daily practices.

Despite intentions to further accelerate social initiatives, many organizations are still figuring out whether real return on investment can be gained from social. Two-thirds of respondents from IBM’s survey were not sure they sufficiently understood the impact that social technologies would have on their organizations over the next three years.

There’s more work to do, so bear in mind these tips to help your organization transcend these obstacles to achieve social business success:

Culture Matters

The companies that are leading in today’s world recognize the benefits of an empowered workforce that feels connected to the organization. Develop a culture in which innovation is connected to every facet of the business. From product development, customer support, and marketing, to employee career development, empowered workers care less about the financial impacts of failed innovation experiments (while of course learning from them) and more about developing high-performing cultures that drive customer value over time. The key to accelerating widespread social adoption lies in an organization’s ability to build expertise among employees, while encouraging behavioral changes that may influence a wider cultural shift.

Implement a Playbook

Failing to plan is the single largest reason organizations trying to become social businesses falter in their efforts. The playbook is an organization’s strategic guide to starting, launching, and executing on plays that will help make the company more effective. As IBM’s new report suggests , at the most basic level, management must provide an infrastructure to help employees collaborate. Once in place, the collaborative tools should be integrated into day-to-day work activities, projects, and processes. In support of this, management must teach employees how to collaborate effectively with individuals outside of the organization’s boundaries, using policies, practices, social business methods and tools.

Don’t Ignore the Data

An effective social business can’t exist without a strong set of analytics resources. A social business is about more than just collaboration; it’s about applying social technologies to business processes in order to radically improve the way organizations operate and gleaning insights from the wide array of social data now at their disposal. With the effective use of social and analytics technologies, organizations can gain deeper insights into customer and market trends, employees’ sentiment, and uncover critical patterns to not only react swiftly to market shifts, but predict the effect of future actions.

It’s clear that social business has transformed from a nice-to-have to a necessity for organizations to remain competitive. A lot of progress has been made, but there’s still a lot more work to do. Social business is about recognizing that the game has changed in business. No longer do the winners hoard information in silos or ignore the crowd’s input. The future is filled with sharing, collaborating and sourcing new ideas and innovations from inside and outside an organization.

So as we prepare to enter 2013, let’s move forward and celebrate the massive opportunities social business will bring us next year and many years beyond.

___________________________________________________

Mark Fidelman is Conference Director for BusinessNext Social at New Media Expo and the author of Socialized! How the Most Successful Businesses Harness the Power of Social. Fidelman also writes a blog for Forbes.com called Socialized and Mobilized and can be followed on Twitter @markfidelman.

July 17, 2014

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this
website. I really hope to see the same high-grade blog posts from you in the future as well.
In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my very own site now ;)

Posted by: Lawyer Briefcase Peoria Il

December 23, 2013

Good post. I be taught one thing more difficult on completely different blogs everyday. It can at all times be stimulating to learn content material from different writers and apply just a little one thing from their store. I�d prefer to make use of some with the content material on my weblog whether or not you don�t mind. Natually I�ll provide you with a hyperlink in your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Danae Haydt

December 16, 2013

I�m impressed, I have to say. Really hardly ever do I encounter a blog that�s both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you could have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is outstanding; the problem is something that not enough persons are speaking intelligently about. I am very pleased that I stumbled across this in my search for something regarding this.

Posted by: Ollie Krewer

December 13, 2013

for those of us just getting began, is there any chance of getting some in the letters mailed in the past?

Posted by: Columbus Nearing

August 9, 2013

Usually I do not read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, quite nice post.

Posted by: spa and wellness

August 7, 2013

I’ve been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.

Posted by: decoration

August 4, 2013

Helpful information. Lucky me I found your site by accident, and I’m shocked why this accident did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

Posted by: Evening Dress

August 3, 2013

I do agree with all of the ideas you’ve presented to your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too quick for starters. Could you please extend them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

Posted by: Portable Projector

July 31, 2013

My wife and i ended up being absolutely cheerful Ervin could conclude his inquiry out of the ideas he acquired when using the blog. It is now and again perplexing to simply happen to be giving for free things which the others may have been making money from. We know we need the website owner to be grateful to for this. The type of illustrations you have made, the straightforward site menu, the relationships your site make it easier to create – it’s mostly astounding, and it’s really letting our son and our family consider that the subject matter is amusing, which is tremendously fundamental. Many thanks for everything!

Posted by: baby gift

July 30, 2013

Nice post. I be taught something more difficult on completely different blogs everyday. It will at all times be stimulating to read content from other writers and follow a little something from their store. I�d desire to use some with the content on my blog whether you don�t mind. Natually I�ll provide you with a link on your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Tom Nibler

July 19, 2013

Aw, this was a very nice post. In concept I want to put in writing like this moreover � taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article however what can I say I procrastinate alot and on no account appear to get one thing done.

Posted by: Margot Squyres

December 18, 2012

You make a great point here with organizational culture. Might I add internal communication among teams is critical to creating a social groundswell inside an organization that could create waves of change throughout an organization. Inside organizations team embark on small projects all of the time. Until recently, their primary form of communication and project management was post-it notes, face-to-face meeting, conference calls and email. When I found Sendgine (@ http://goo.gl/ML3EA) to help me with small web projects, I found focusing people on the right tasks helps us complete our work faster and with better accuracy — customers loved that. So did my senior managers.

Posted by: Rodger Johnson

November 30, 2012

Its Informative I am really appreciated and expect these type of blog for getting new change to understand.

Posted by: Law Firm Advertising

November 12, 2012

Thanks for sharing the information about my book. 2013 looks to be the year when business takes social seriously. I am so happy to be apart of it.

Posted by: Mark Fidelman

January 30, 2014

[…] culture and massive social media footprint. It also demonstrates the company’s authentic, people-centric approach to social business. For a true social business, this kind of mash-up can augment or even replace the traditional […]

Posted by: Social Visualization of Brand & Culture: IBM Voices Does the Talking « MindCorp | Newsfeed

May 7, 2013

[...] like IBM’s concise view on the foundation organizations need to build to help them become a social [...]

Posted by: Creating a new model PR agency that’s fit for purpose

November 22, 2012

[...] infographic posted a few days ago on their Smarter Planet blog, highlighting the use of social technologies from IBM’s recent global survey about social [...]

Posted by: The prime hurdles of social business