Doug Dow, Vice President, Business Analytics Transformation, IBM

By Doug Dow

As one veteran sports writer conceded recently, in the battle between gut instinct and algorithms: bet on “team calculator” every time.

From presidential politics to professional sports, sophisticated quantitative analysis is winning over experience and intuition. In business, organizations that have embedded analytics into their operations significantly outperform those who are still kicking the tires, according to a recent joint MIT Sloan Management Review and IBM Institute of Business Value study.

And yet, within many large organizations, the implementation of analytics remains highly uneven. For every organization that is playing “Moneyball,” there are more still puzzling over how to get started. The primary obstacle to widespread adoption: a “lack of understanding for how to use analytics to improve the business,” according to the Sloan study.

Within IBM, we established an internal analytics practice several years ago.  Working with business leaders from across the company, we’ve deployed analytics projects in areas ranging from sales planning to product development, and from manufacturing to human resources.

As a result, we’ve made headway in our transformation to a smarter enterprise – and learned some practical lessons. As you build an analytics capability, here are a few principles to bear in mind:

1. Focus on the most important opportunities facing the business today. Driving revenue growth is at the top of IBM’s priorities. On this front, we have been creating and deploying new Web-based analytical tools to help our sales teams. Our math experts in IBM Research helped build these models which our reps use to predict purchasing patterns – and our sales managers use to better align sales resources in a specific territory. The tools have contributed to stronger revenue growth since we started our first sales prospecting analytics program six years ago. Initially, we had to persuade our sales leaders to pilot these analytical tools. Now they are coming to us, asking for more. They want to take it to the next level.

2. For each business opportunity, start with the questions, not the data. Begin by understanding your business strategy and financial objectives – target market, customer segments, business model and priorities. Then ask where the implementation and execution gaps are. How effective is the product or service development process? Which sales management processes need improvement? Where is the innovation occurring? From the right set of questions, it’s not hard to determine what data needs to be assembled and mined for insight.

3. Press your analytic experts to make their tools consumable. This is a point I stress with my team when we’re working with a business unit on an analytics projects. You shouldn’t require an advanced degree in mathematics or need to be well-schooled in Monte Carlo Simulation to find value from analytics tools. Web-based tools should be intuitive. With IBM’s Internal Business Analytics Cloud, internally called Blue Insight, we’re giving IBMers in different functions desktop access to advanced analytics. For example, our finance team can examine cash position forecasts or HR professionals can conduct an on-the-spot skills gap analysis, all from their browsers. The key is to pilot tools with the users so the data analysts are collaborating in a hands-on way with the business analysts who will be using the tools.

4. Use data to find problems before they are problems. IBM currently has more than two dozen analytics projects underway in our integrated supply chain. We’re using analytics to reinvent traditional supply chain functions such as parts management. The Quality Early Warning System, for example, uses analytics to detect quality defects faster and earlier before they impact IBM products or clients. Analytics keep getting better, more predictive.

5. My final advice:  don’t wait for your data to be perfect to get started. You can organize and “cleanse” data incrementally as projects progress. The key is to put a stake in the ground with a commitment that analytics will be woven into your strategy.

Big Data is here to stay – so embrace it, establish a link between your business priorities and your information agenda, then apply analytics to become a smarter enterprise.

To learn more, see Analytics: The New Path to Value.

December 26, 2013

Can I simply say what a aid to seek out somebody who truly is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know the best way to carry a problem to mild and make it important. Extra individuals have to learn this and perceive this aspect of the story. I cant consider youre no more fashionable since you undoubtedly have the gift.

Posted by: Sheldon Depace

December 19, 2013

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

Posted by: Rory Kitch

July 29, 2013

beneficial|valuable|practical|effective informative|interesting|worthwhile|invaluable}. I have {learned|discovered|uncovered|been taught}

Posted by: pruning shears

July 27, 2013

My wife and i felt really thankful when Ervin could conclude his web research because of the precious recommendations he got when using the blog. It’s not at all simplistic just to always be releasing methods some other people may have been selling. And we all recognize we now have you to give thanks to for that. The main illustrations you have made, the simple web site menu, the friendships you will help to engender – it’s got most fantastic, and it’s really helping our son and the family reckon that that subject is fun, which is seriously pressing. Thanks for all!

Posted by: Travel Agency

July 25, 2013

An fascinating dialogue is value comment. I feel that you must write extra on this matter, it won’t be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Posted by: Kortney Bergerson

July 23, 2013

The following time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, however I really thought youd have one thing attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you would repair when you werent too busy searching for attention.

Posted by: Carmelina Canu

July 20, 2013

There are definitely numerous details like that to take into consideration. That may be a great point to bring up. I supply the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing can be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged around things like that, but I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment�s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Sharan Coursey

July 18, 2013

I discovered your blog site on google and verify a number of of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. In search of forward to reading more from you later on!

Posted by: Ken Jeng

May 15, 2013

I can not keep it in anymore! I’m gay!

Posted by: Uwe H Lung

January 4, 2013

“start with the questions, not the data”. Very insightful! Thanks Doug-

Posted by: Wei Lee

December 13, 2012

Doug, great article – we had a lot of experience in the Growth Markets where we started with the business problem and enabling execution of IBM’s 2015 roadmap.

I think we can also write about two more areas in the future: business Analytics and change management (our adoption challenges eg MAP) and business Analytics and social media – I have been researching this area and interviewed an intern this morning that write a paper on this topic.

Posted by: Maged Boctor

December 13, 2012

Thanks Doug…very insightful. I also like your point of starting with understanding your business problem(s), model, and of course the enabling processes. Sometimes we jump to the details before understanding the larger picture.

Posted by: Roy Yoder

December 13, 2012

Great Article Doug especially like 4 and 5 and that has been how we are leading many of our radical transformation projects. The data is never perfect. You have to start somewhere.

Posted by: Rhonda Mancuso

December 13, 2012

Very informative Doug. The “start with the questions, not the data” part very much resonates with me. I think many people don’t get that fundamental idea and therefore don’t make progress with their analytics as fast as they could.

Posted by: Ross A. Mauri

1 Trackback

December 19, 2012

[...] This story originally appears on IBM’s Building a Smarter Planet blog and can be found here. [...]

Posted by: Five Steps To Getting Started with Analytics « First Distribution – Blog