Volker W. Fricke, Solution Architect, Telematics & Telemetry, IBM Germany

By Volker W. Fricke and Clay Luthy

What would Scotsman Robert Anderson say if he could comment on the history of electric vehicles? As the supposed inventor of the first vehicle with an electric motor back in 1836 he might have been a bit frustrated over the triumphal procession of the combustion engine for the last 100 years. However the progress and raising interest in electric mobility in the last couple of years might put a smile on his face.

Driven by technology breakthroughs, increasing oil prices and a raising environmental awareness, electric vehicles (EV) are moving into the center of interest for consumers, enterprises and governments. For example, the European Union (EU) has set an ambitious goal to reduce CO2 emissions by 60 percent by 2050.

More specifically, Germany aims for a 40 percent CO2 reduction within the next 12 years – also with the help of one million electric vehicles on German streets by 2020. Even though electric mobility technologies have made significant progress, a number of challenges still remain: limited battery range and the lack of a consistent nationwide charging infrastructure – a factor significant to European drivers constantly crossing borders into new territories.

Clay Luthy, Global Distributed Energy Resource Leader, IBM

While IBM researchers are working hard in the Battery500 project to produce lithium air batteries with a range of 500 miles, IBM developers in Germany are bringing their knowledge and expertise into the EU sponsored project Green eMotion. Launched in March 2011, the project aims to lay the foundation for mass deployment of electric vehicles, Europe-wide, with the help of 43 partners ranging from technology companies, energy providers, electric vehicle manufacturers and universities.

The members are working to develop the systems, communications, and market models to help overcome the complexity of European electric mobility, such as grid control issues, international billing challenges and many more.

Imagine that you want to travel with your electric vehicle from Stuttgart, Germany, to Barcelona, Spain – a distance of approximately 1,200 kilometers (750 miles). To do it today, you would need to access a charging infrastructure that is part of a different utility’s electricity network, operated by a different charge point operator than the one you contracted with at home, and which potentially utilizes a different business model. This is not only a headache for the consumer, but also a management challenge for utilities.

What is needed is an information and financial clearinghouse which enables roaming between different charging point operators and energy grid providers, similar to the concept used today when using mobile phones abroad. This system would enable access to charge posts regardless of the operator, provide a transparent billing and payment system for your recharging bills, and provide end users the ability to locate charge posts among other services.

To make this happen, the Green eMotion project is implementing a cloud-based, pan-European B2B Marketplace demonstration that provides the critical services needed for seamless electric vehicle charging. The IT platform is based on open standards and protocols making it easy for participating companies to add future services without major development and integration efforts.

As a result, drivers will be able to charge their vehicles and pay in any location across borders and geographies, regardless of their energy provider. Utilities will also benefit, as the IT platform provides interoperable standards and payment support, reducing potential management issues with financial settlement and international conversion.

Today, about 2,000 electric vehicles are operating in the Green eMotion demonstration regions relying on a network of more than 2,500 charging points. The number of EVs will grow to about 70,000 in 2015, with the number of charging points increasing to more than 80,000.

The B2B marketplace is a major step into the electric mobility future of Europe. Robert Anderson would be proud.

January 10, 2014

After you have studied the forex market, have taken tutorials
offered online and become proficient in such terms as “bid-ask price,” “pips” and “currency pairs,” you are ready to develop a strategy.
Thus, just what are these sorts of “important” elements.
Thus, for example by comparing the price of toothpaste and a pen, France and Canada, the result of the
PPP indicates the country where the cost of living
is higher.

Posted by: forex trading in urdu

January 8, 2014

A fascinating discussion is worth comment.
I believe that you need to publish more about this issue, it may
not be a taboo subject but typically people don’t discuss these
topics. To the next! All the best!!

Posted by: Total Wellness Cleanse

December 21, 2013

When I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any method you’ll be able to take away me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Miranda Willms

November 15, 2013

Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one!
It’s on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and
design. Superb choice of colors!

Posted by: Terri

August 14, 2013

There are certainly loads of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a nice level to convey up. I offer the ideas above as common inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you convey up the place an important factor will probably be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged round issues like that, however I’m sure that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys really feel the influence of only a second�s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

Posted by: Kendall Rainforth

August 13, 2013

That is the best weblog for anybody who wants to find out about this topic. You realize a lot its almost laborious to argue with you (not that I actually would needHaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

Posted by: Ngan Blatnik

August 7, 2013

I�m impressed, I have to say. Really hardly ever do I encounter a blog that�s both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you will have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is outstanding; the problem is something that not enough persons are speaking intelligently about. I am very pleased that I stumbled across this in my search for something regarding this.

Posted by: Antione Ruehle

August 6, 2013

I simply could not go away your website prior to suggesting that I actually loved the usual information an individual supply in your visitors? Is going to be back ceaselessly to investigate cross-check new posts

Posted by: Notebook

August 5, 2013

An attention-grabbing discussion is price comment. I believe that you must write more on this subject, it may not be a taboo subject but typically persons are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Posted by: Jamal Stowman

August 3, 2013

It is in point of fact a nice and useful piece of info. I am glad that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: categories auto insurance

August 3, 2013

great put up, very informative. I’m wondering why the other experts of this sector do not understand this. You should proceed your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

Posted by: oxo food mill

August 3, 2013

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually recognise what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also talk over with my site =). We may have a hyperlink alternate agreement among us!

Posted by: engine optimization solar

August 2, 2013

Great ¡V I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, website theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Nice task..

Posted by: food baskets

August 2, 2013

My dream retirement would involve a nice log cabin in the mountains. Who needs a beach?

Posted by: Mistie Bejjani

July 31, 2013

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog. An excellent read. I’ll certainly be back.

Posted by: hints and tips

July 31, 2013

Hello.This post was really interesting, particularly since I was browsing for thoughts on this issue last Monday.

Posted by: nutrition that you

July 26, 2013

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you Nevertheless I am experiencing difficulty with ur rss . Don�t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss drawback? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Posted by: Bong Lafon

January 13, 2013

Why are 80,000 charging points needed for only 70,000 EV’s?

Posted by: Matt Paschal

January 13, 2013

For the payment problem, this seems like a very complicated system. Why can’t electricity be purchased like anything else? It seems that if you crossover from one provider to another, you could just pay with a credit card or cash or whatever. Isn’t this how everything else is sold? Why is electricity any different? Isn’t it is a product that can be sold? Swipe your card in the meter and start filling your batteries up with electrons.

Posted by: Matt Paschal

December 27, 2012

I hope other nation will follow on this goal oriented endeavor.

Posted by: fahidul01

December 25, 2012

I hope other nation will follow on this goal oriented endeavor. Its a good thing that the transition to EV has already started thus its only means one thing, that “It can be done”. I know there are still lots of limitation to the technology, but every impediment is an opportunity to develop and improve.

Posted by: baseball nets

December 25, 2012

I hope other nation will follow on this goal oriented endeavor. Its a good thing that the transition to EV has already started thus its only means one thing, that “It can be done”. I know there are still lots of limitation to the technology, but every impidement is an opportunity to develop and improve.

Posted by: baseball nets

December 20, 2012

It is so hard to start projects like these but our future depends of that. The infrastructure and the organization could be a big deal in the development of this kind of environmentaly friendly solutions but this is the answer, the answer is to start working out, in a teamwork all those who has the knowledge between the nations in order to get a common benefit.

Posted by: alejandro sanabria

1 Trackback

May 1, 2013

[...] Read a blog post from IBM on the eMotion project here. [...]

Posted by: How Your Electric Car Will Soon Be Like Your Mobile Phone « Breaking Energy