Ed Cole, Executive Director, Transit Alliance of Middle Tennessee

By Ed Cole

Earlier this year, the New York Times ran an article in which it called Nashville, Tennessee – the “it” city.

The coverage was an exciting and complimentary tribute to Nashville as a culturally-rich, fast growing metropolitan region. The Times highlighted the culture with music and trendy restaurants, and the economic health of the region attributing that in part to our, “mix of employers in fields like health care management, religious publishing, car manufacturing and higher education, led by Vanderbilt University.”

For all the accolades in the Times piece, there was mention of a very real problem in our “it” city – the need for better transportation.

How are we going to get to enjoy all the city has to offer, the live music venues, the parks, the museums, or the chic social gatherings, if our roadways are choking with congestion?

We welcome the growth of our region, but we have to be smart about it too.

The need for a better transportation system is not just about reducing the headaches of gridlock on the highways. Improving transportation is about improving our lives and changing culture. If you study the history of transportation from horses to trains, and from street cars to airplanes, then you realize that the changes in modes of transportation changed lives, altered communities and economic growth.

Our region is dealing with the effects of rapid growth on our sprawling transportation network including some of the longest commute times in the U.S. This is among the reasons that we engaged IBM to help determine what type of investments could most benefit the region.

Five strategic areas emerged – two of which revolve around using Big Data to drive improvements in the transportation system. Using technology to combine and sift through transportation data for actionable insight means that the region can move from reacting to anticipating and avoiding many of the daily transportation issues their commuters face.

The report also provided high impact, short-term and long-term recommendations, which you can read here. At the Transit Alliance, we’re using this to help plan for future transit alternatives that are safer and smarter.

Specifically, bus rapid transit (BRT) was identified as one of the most important steps for Nashville, which supports our work and the Mayor’s plan for “The East-West Connector.”

The East-West Connector, a bus rapid transit route from Five Points in East Nashville through downtown to White Bridge Road in West Nashville, is a great example of how we’re working towards a more transportation options.

Across Middle Tennessee we are seeing an increase in the use of mass transit options already available to us. Ridership on the MTA has grown significantly. The MTA’s free “Music City Circuit” downtown is very popular with those who live and work in the area, as well as tourists.  More and more riders are using the train, “Music City Star” between outer communities and downtown Nashville.

These are steps in the right direction for transportation in the region, but we know there are many more ways we can improve. The IBM study recommends several plans for reducing commute times, creating better access to public transit, and cost efficient transportation.

But most importantly, these new options for mass transit are improving our quality of life, making it safer and smarter to enjoy our “it” city.

September 20, 2014

Hi friends, pleasant post and good arguments commented here, I am truly enjoying by these.

Posted by: marvin anderson windows replacement screens bay area

September 17, 2014

I usually do not leave a response, however after browsing some
of the remarks here Big Data Helps Drive Transportation Improvements in Music City

Posted by: natural stone driveway pavers

September 10, 2014

You can certainly see your enthusiasm within the work you write.
The world hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how
they believe. At all times follow your heart.

Posted by: shingle roofing systems

August 6, 2014

Hi, its nice article on the topic of media print, we all be aware of media is a great source of information.

Posted by: Guadalupe

July 8, 2014

This article gives clear idea in support of the new visitors
of blogging, that actually how to do running a blog.

Posted by: newspaper articles

July 8, 2014

You will want to check the FSBO sections in these resources daily.
Most Section 8 tenants will avoid doing anything which will
jeopardize. I don’t see any reason why you will not consider it.
You could either spend that and be back at the base of $100,000 or put it back into the system
and have $110,00 in investments. When those connections
came together for me, injuries, neglect, being isolated and having
what I loved attacked. The rent that you ask for will depend on this figure.
If damages have occurred, the owner then has the ability and means to make a claim against the
tenant or the security deposit. Electrical power: The rate at which electrical work is done in an electric
circuit is called an electrical power. What’s also impressive is that the diverse cultures of the world seem to disagree about
almost anything, and yet all have an incomparable appreciation for gold.

A good, long guaranty does not make a lemon a good car.

Posted by: real estate investors club los angeles

July 8, 2014

You actually make it appear really easy together with your presentation but I to find
this topic to be really something that I think I might by no means
understand. It seems too complex and very extensive for me.
I am looking ahead on your subsequent put up, I’ll
try to get the dangle of it!

Posted by: www.google.ca

May 24, 2014

This includes Captioned Images, Memes, & eye will remain untreated.
It is believed to be included in mortgage rates a perfect alternative depending on the class website.
By taking preventative measures such as acupuncture.
However, they suggest. Chinese” acupuncture facelift” or” Qi”;” I was diagnosed and, lives alone.

Posted by: nz-wellington.com

May 5, 2014

結局は自分の負の部分を隠そうとしてるだけでそれをあからさまに隠せてないのがキモいって事 局部丸出し全裸男性ストリップ店「R」で遊ぶ下品な整形アイドル板野
本人もカラコンを使っているが
でもメンバーが自分でつけてかわいくなった、気持ち悪くない、違和感ないと思ってるなら別につけてても構わないだろう
フジモンの小ぶりなお乳が気になる(;´Д`)ハァハァ BBAでもすらりと伸びた生足を見せつけられると見てしまうし

Posted by: ソース

April 12, 2014

In days gone by 3 years, consumer requirement for combination digestive support enzymes
has risen. by Sarah Burleton is really a poignant story with
regards to a young girl’s terror of physical and mental abuse from her mother from first
grade until she moved out of her home. Probably the main reason it bothers me is really because when I see someone who has a dream, and I hear them speak
about cause real progress, this also change that
they can “want. You inform me you really need to change your circumstances, I will listen for your requirements.

Posted by: self help anxiety disorder

April 7, 2014

It introduces a new Math Input Panel that recognizes handwritten math expressions and
formulas, and integrates with other programs.
2 is the latest popular version and you want to look for it.
There exists also the alternative of two keyboards, a digital QWERTY keyboard
and wi-fi keyboard.

Posted by: http://www.luofen.net/

March 25, 2014

Sure a brand brand new feeling will bring to me soon.
This digital tablet is 10inch wide and is run on the Android os operating-system.
The above mentioned are the specifications that you should look for in any
Android tablet depending upon your requirements.

Posted by: dwyer18.com

February 13, 2014

It ‘s better to concentrate on the small successes to make them happen as often as it is possible to.
Psychology is often a fascinating field where one studies human behavior and exactly how your brain works.
One in the frustrations I hear from mental medical care service consumers is always that they can.

Posted by: christian psychologist association

December 5, 2013

Hi, just wanted to mention, I enjoyed this post. It was funny.
Keep on posting!

Posted by: Agatha W. Yang

October 13, 2013

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you really
recognize what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also discuss with my website =).
We may have a link change contract among us

Posted by: ingrandire il glande

September 13, 2013

Whatever your specialty or favored photographic genre may be, photogenic
scenes, people, places and ideas are all around you almost constantly.
During summer the intake of regular diet is less but the salads with nice dressings and
variety of toppings can actually work a appetizers.
url + ‘” class=”adline1_title_link” target=”_blank”>’ +.

Posted by: http://www.beloblog.com

August 5, 2013

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Posted by: automated backlinks tool

August 4, 2013

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely fantastic. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific site.

Posted by: Italian Shoes

August 3, 2013

magnificent publish, very informative. I wonder why the opposite specialists of this sector do not understand this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a great readers’ base already!

Posted by: tips for always

August 2, 2013

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually know what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also talk over with my website =). We may have a link exchange agreement among us!

Posted by: insurance

August 1, 2013

You can certainly see your expertise in the work you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

Posted by: green energy search

July 30, 2013

you’ve gotten an ideal blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

Posted by: Sylvia Sarkissian

July 23, 2013

I discovered your blog website on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the excellent operate. I just further up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you afterward!

Posted by: Hyon Anastasi

July 22, 2013

I used to be suggested this blog via my cousin. I am no longer
sure whether or not this put up is written by means of him as nobody else know such special
approximately my difficulty. You’re incredible! Thank you!

Posted by: Barney