Jeffrey Nichols, IBM Research Staff Member

By Richard Silberman, Writer/Researcher, IBM Communications

Jeffrey Nichols is putting a new twist on Twitter that could change the way businesses use social media to identify, engage and market to customers.

“What we actually see from Twitter is just the tip of the information iceberg,” said Nichols, who manages the social media and crowd research team at IBM Research in Almaden, Calif. “Below every tweet there’s a lot more information that people have that they’re not sharing.”

Determined to extract hidden information from social media, Nichols is developing strategies to ask questions directly of targeted strangers over Twitter. The crux of Nichols work is to move from the ubiquitous reactive approach to social media, where marketers follow and respond to what people are saying, to a proactive model where they can reach out to individuals to collect specific information.

“The number one thing we’re trying to do is to get beyond social sentiment, which is basically an aggregation of whether the crowd feels positive or negative about something,” Nichols said. “Direct engagement with individuals over Twitter allows us to understand people and their opinions a lot better than we can with a coarse measurement like sentiment.”

Soliciting information from strangers over Twitter

Nichols, who studies human-computer interaction in the User Systems and Experience Research (USER) group at IBM Research, has led several experiments that validate the viability of engaging individuals over Twitter.

Two years ago, Nichols launched TSA Tracker, which collected and displayed wait times at airport security checkpoints. Nichols and his team identified people who were at airports, based on their Twitter status updates, and asked them to share their estimated wait.

“We got a much higher response rate than we expected — above 40 percent — which suggested that this is pretty fertile area to explore,” Nichols said.

Nichols’ next study, being presented at a social computing conference this week, not only measured response rates, but also analyzed the quality of the information respondents provided. In this two-part study, Nichols sent questions via Twitter to individuals who own a particular tablet computer — and also queried people who visited Los Angeles food trucks. He then compared the Twitter replies to reviews on reputable online sites to see how closely they align.

“Once again we got a response rate around 40 percent, which shows that people seem pretty happy to respond to questions over social media,” Nichols said. “The most exciting outcome, however, is that over 70 percent of the responses were really high quality answers, and in many cases people gave us more information than we asked for.”

Modeling personalities based on Twitter text

Targeting the right people on Twitter is, of course, essential to getting high response rates and good data. To that end, Nichols and his team are currently exploring ways to analyze personality traits based on the text in social media messages. By modeling and understanding personality types, it will be possible to reach out to the right individuals, in the right way, at the right time, to elicit the best response possible.

“If you just send a person a message out of the blue and it doesn’t offer any value to them, then that’s spam and they’re not going to respond to that,” said Nichols, who is developing analytics to infer who will likely respond to unsolicited questions on a particular topic.

“If we choose to reach out to someone, we want to know there’s a very high probablilty that they’re going to react positively,” Nichols said. “Response rates of 40 percent are great, but wouldn’t it be awesome if we could get that up to 80 percent?”

New tools for Enterprise Marketing Management

Nichols’ fascination with crowds has its roots in the massively multiplayer games he once played. His interest in harnessing massive social communication and using Twitter in new ways evolved from there.

In one of his first social media experiments, Nichols and a team member used only the status updates posted to Twitter to generate summaries of sporting events comparable to those created by professional journalists. Encouraged by the results, Nichols has been on a steady path of innovation ever since.

“Going forward we hope to take what we’ve done so far, make it more business-relevant and bring it to market,” Nichols said. He is currently working to incorporate some of his techniques into IBM’s Enterprise Marketing Management (EMM) solution to support a very focused, individualized and interactive approach to marketing.

“I think our approach to using Twitter will become a routine part of doing business in the next couple of years,” Nichols said. “It’s not only going to enable companies to hone valuable relationships with individuals, but also to reach beyond and expand their established customer base.”

April 24, 2014

明石産ってシールはって売ったらええねん いやブスがおもっきし黒目のディファインしてるのもきついもんだぜ・・・
らオートメーションが基本だろ100歩譲って機械の部品が入ってたならわかるけどカラコンとか身近にあるもの入れて自演しちゃいました感プンプンじゃねーか
秋野暢子みたいなオバハン 探偵ライフもいよいよネタ切れになってきたな
外来種でどんな被害があるか分からないよ 本当の性処理肉便器 まで落とせ

Posted by: 度ありカラコンワンデー

December 17, 2013

Excellent, what a webpage it is! This blog presents helpful information to
us, keep it up.

Posted by: Arlen

December 1, 2013

Hi, I read your blog on a regular basis. Your humoristic style is awesome, keep it up!

Posted by: Card Payments

November 5, 2013

Posted by: where to Buy Celestron Telescope at Affordable Rate in Australia

October 23, 2013

the Honda Accord mirrors placed in the same fender . And it looks compared to the first generation Honda Accord hatchback styling that is full of personality undoubtedly more impressive.

Posted by: Matériel dentaire

September 13, 2013

adsense_ad_unit += ” +. Take the low-carb tortilla or wrap and put about a tablespoon or
two of cream on it. 3 oysters is said to meet our daily zinc consumption recommendations.

Posted by: http://blog.pressrepublican.com

August 6, 2013

The suggestions strategies and information listed here is very invaluable. I have learned a large number of helpful hints.

Posted by: pruners

August 4, 2013

certainly like your web-site but you have to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the truth on the other hand I¡¦ll definitely come again again.

Posted by: travelers insurance

August 2, 2013

I wish to get across my respect for your kindness supporting folks who actually need help with this one subject matter. Your special dedication to getting the solution all over ended up being extremely helpful and has regularly helped somebody like me to attain their targets. Your valuable information entails this much to me and even further to my peers. Thank you; from all of us.

Posted by: Solar Energy

July 31, 2013

Thank you for every other informative web site. Where else may just I get that kind of info written in such an ideal method? I’ve a mission that I am simply now operating on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

Posted by: new inventions

July 31, 2013

Thanks for every other informative blog. The place else may I get that kind of information written in such a perfect way? I’ve a project that I’m just now running on, and I have been at the look out for such info.

Posted by: your home security

July 31, 2013

Great blog here! Also your website loads up fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink for your host? I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

Posted by: seed food processor

July 26, 2013

Great items from you, man. I have have in mind your stuff prior
to and you’re just too great. I really like what you’ve obtained here,
really like what you’re stating and the way in which through which you assert it. You are making it enjoyable and you continue to care for to keep it sensible. I can’t wait
to learn much more from you. That is actually a
wonderful website.

Posted by: Ward

July 25, 2013
July 25, 2013

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any approach you possibly can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Kristin Galbreth

July 22, 2013

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.

The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following.
unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since
exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

Posted by: Grazyna

1 Trackback

December 30, 2013

[…] the forefront of social networking and collaboration in the enterprise; and IBM researcher, Jeffrey Nichols, who is exploring the value of social media beyond […]

Posted by: Innovating with Cloud & Big Data: 2013's People for a Smarter Planet A Smarter Planet Blog