Anders Rhod Gregersen, Senior Specialist Plant Siting and Forecasting, Vestas Wind Systems

By Anders Rhod Gregersen

Deciding where to put a wind turbine is a lot like planting a tree: where you plant it is critical to its long term health and effectiveness.

For wind turbines, pinpointing the optimal location enables energy producers to maximize power generation at reduced energy costs. It’s something we at Vestas Wind Systems of Denmark have been working on for several years.

To do it, we mine Big Data and leverage predictive analytics for deep insights. We analyze literally petabytes of information, ranging from weather reports and tidal phases, to geospatial and sensor data, as well as satellite images and weather modeling research. In all, 160 factors are analyzed that influence location, plant performance and service life.

But the insights gained help us to do a lot more than determine prime locations. The analysis also helps us identify new markets for wind energy and helps our clients meet aggressive renewable energy goals. For a company like ours, that is committed to addressing the world’s energy requirements, it is of high importance to not only seek high-performance but also to generate an energy-efficient computing environment that offers a reduced carbon footprint through lower server energy consumption.

Our solution is based on IBM BigInsights software and the IBM Firestorm supercomputer. We then combines open source Apache Hadoop software with unique technologies and capabilities from IBM that enable us to process very large data sets by breaking up the data into chunks and coordinating the processing across a distributed environment.

Thus, we know exactly how the wind is distributed across potential sites, and can compare this data with the turbine design specifications to make sure the turbine can operate at optimal efficiency at that location.

What is also remarkable is the fact that the supercomputers and modeling software aren’t only used in the planning phase. Once the wind farm is up and running, they can keep crunching data to decide when the best time to schedule maintenance is, and what important information can be incorporated into future models to refine them.

As we believe that electricity from wind technologies will further increase during the next years, Big Data analytics is helping us to speed up this timeline and enter new markets to capitalize on growing demand for wind energy.

July 18, 2014

my primary influences musically are Charlie Daniels, No quotes from the materials contained herein may be used in any media without attribution to NPR. At that, He quietly goes to some French soldiers.girls! he tells her how much he loves her, we ‘fallopian jungle’-dwellers are really proud of the fact that we go to bat (and sometimes almost use a bat) for some of the other women at NPR. “There’s no way I could have gotten through those years without my female friends. It was uncanny to say the least.

Posted by: Luxury handbags

May 8, 2014

I really love tools such as this. I have this unique exact model.
However your strength gets any worse since it
gets older.

Posted by: t.co

January 26, 2014

This is certainly anything that everyone must
do. It’s a quick and easy option to keep things straight forward.

Posted by: Racking System

December 20, 2013

I�m impressed, I have to say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a weblog that�s each educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you could have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the problem is one thing that not sufficient persons are talking intelligently about. I’m very completely satisfied that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for one thing regarding this.

Posted by: Marjory Leland

August 7, 2013

ブランド 財布 格安

Posted by: mcm リュック ファッション

August 3, 2013

There may be a simple documents provide for opportunity from the fold-up service round the back to the while in the unit’s forward include, which folds over down to transform into a end product rack. Inside of a smart minor progress, Rule stations this amazing front include to move down simply by design, for those who neglect to open it before you start to help you art print. The operator interface is without a doubt well organized, along with a couple of great preparing buttons within the eventually left in addition to black and coloration reproduce pulls around the perfect. pojistka stahovák bílá inkoustová cartridge HP Printer cartridge hp 1522nf instalace inkoustových kazet hp officejet 4500 cartridges for kids cfk tonery samsung ml-1740 tonery warszawa Pulawska komputer ZA tonery.

Posted by: cartridge 128 sponky

August 1, 2013

You made some decent points there. I did a search on the issue and found most guys will consent with your blog.

Posted by: Wireless Speakers

July 28, 2013

Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I am experiencing concern with ur rss . Don�t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss downside? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Posted by: Erin Ellenbee

July 27, 2013

you’ve gotten an ideal blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

Posted by: Carolyn Tellez

July 27, 2013

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually know what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also consult with my web site =). We will have a link exchange contract among us!

Posted by: Student Travel

July 26, 2013

After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any means you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Genny Teffeteller

July 25, 2013

There are actually a whole lot of details like that to take into consideration. That could be a great point to deliver up. I provide the thoughts above as basic inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you deliver up where crucial thing might be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around things like that, but I am certain that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impression of just a moment�s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Dorie Mcdonnall

July 22, 2013

Excellent blog here! Also your web site loads up fast! What web host
are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours
lol

Posted by: Hildegard

May 26, 2013

hello!, tetszik az írás sok! Megosztás kommunikálni többet a cikket az AOL? Szükségem van egy speciális ezen a területen, hogy megoldja a problémát. Lehet, hogy te vagy! Várja, hogy látlak.

Posted by: Lv Napszemüveg

May 2, 2013

When it comes to certain energy expenditures such as automobiles the idea of using hydrogen has become a
very common topic in this collective conversation.
What is the count of separate charging indicators on the
device under your consideration. In light of the costs associated with changing from regular electric to sources
that are friendlier to the environment, the United States government
can initiate a program to interest citizens to make changes to their homes that
would increase the use of solar energy. You’ll need to completely remove them to maximize the amount of sunlight that gets through to the solar panels.

Posted by: bulk solar cells for sale