Charaka Kithulegoda, CIO, ING DIRECT

By Charaka Kithulegoda

It’s estimated that there are more smartphones on the planet than humans. By 2016, more than 10 billion smartphones will be in use around the global. And Canadians are leading that growth, with more than half of Canadian smartphone users banking from their mobile device – and that number grows even higher when looking at those between 18 – 34 years of age.

Our customers expect to be able to connect with their friends and family, browse and shop and of course, bank from their mobile devices. As the mobile marketplace continues to grow and expand, mobile banking is not just a convenient option for our clients, but a must have. So how do we provide our customers with easy access to their money at any time, wherever they are?

Working with IBM, ING DIRECT Canada has developed a long-term, secure strategy around our mobile architecture supporting multiple devices. This has allowed us to fast-track the delivery of mobile banking applications for all mobile devices. For example, our iPad application, developed with IBM, has a dashboard view that users can customize based on their frequently-transacted activities.

But we not only embraced mobile banking, we took it a step further and embraced social banking – providing our customers the ability to bank and transact from wherever they are and this includes social applications like Facebook and Twitter.

Our Facebook application, for instance, makes banking easy and secure. Customers can go from chatting with friends to checking out their accounts with the click of a key. Our customers were already logged onto Facebook, interacting with friends and family. Why make our clients log out, just to log back into our mobile site? Instead, we made it easy for our customers to bank where they already are.

Social banking has also helped us encourage our customer to save, through a program called Small Sacrifices. In a recent survey, we found that 52 percent of Canadians said that if they were able to better visualize what foregoing their daily, weekly and monthly spending on non-essential purchases looked like, they would save them over the short and long term, they would change their spending habits.

With client preferences at the heart of our business, we helped our customers visualize how cutting out everyday indulgences, — i.e. Small Sacrifices — could lead to big savings over the long term. It’s simple, but very effective. First, users choose what small sacrifice they can make, like passing on a daily coffee purchase. Then users decide which goal to redirect the money to, like their retirement fund or savings account. Once the user specifies how much money they spend on their average, Small Sacrifices creates a chart illustrating how much could be amassed in five- and 25 years by saving that amount weekly. The next time a user is tempted to spend on their non-essential purchase, they can choose to instead redirect that money to a savings or retirement account with one simple click.

At ING DIRECT, we understand that mobile technology is here to stay. It’s changing how we live our lives by helping make everyday tasks easier and more convenient.

Clients are telling us what they want and how they want to use our products and services. We have embraced this rapid evolution by providing open and engaging solutions that offer immediacy and simplicity through a highly contextual experience.

February 10, 2014

Hiya, I’m really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and net and this is really frustrating. A good site with interesting content, that is what I need. Thanks for keeping this web-site, I’ll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can’t find it.

Posted by: free credit reports

January 23, 2014

“Social Banking Drives Brand Awareness and Business for ING DIRECT

Posted by: Rosalinda

December 26, 2013

Can I simply say what a relief to find somebody who actually is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You definitely know the way to convey an issue to light and make it important. Extra people need to learn this and perceive this side of the story. I cant believe youre no more fashionable since you definitely have the gift.

Posted by: Ryan Hofer

December 23, 2013

qw
I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your website.
It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for
me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer
to create your theme? Fantastic work!

Posted by: Chão radiante

December 17, 2013

There are certainly a number of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment�s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Jimmie Dubbin

December 15, 2013

After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any method you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Rickey Slicer

December 14, 2013

After I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any approach you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Ima Beckerle

August 4, 2013

Hello.This post was extremely interesting, particularly because I was browsing for thoughts on this topic last Tuesday.

Posted by: Dining Room Furniture

August 3, 2013

To match the actual claims coming from Oki, this dark
cartridge may last for 2,5 hundred websites and each and every with the three colour cartridges can last
for 1,A thousand images. This replacement typically the african american cartridge prices regarding
40, though replacement for colour cartridges value approximately Second 55.
You may as well have high-capacity cartridges by Oki which could printing One thousand five hundred
dark-colored pages of content around 35 plus 65 to get One thousand five
hundred color selection pages of content. As well as more cost-effective toner cartridges that will be appropriate for your OKI
C3600. The advocated regular monthly deliver the results cycle with this lazer printer is actually 35000 internet
pages, and that is certainly in excess of adequate pertaining
to small businesses. printer cartridges amazon inkoustové cartridges
HP Officejet 6000 jak vyčistit inkoustové cartridges HP hlavy
cartridge 128 černá tonery BROTHER HL-2140 cricut cartridges a
další tonery express nz hp 94/95 ink cartridge in retail packagings combo
pack.

Posted by: cricut cartridges fonts

August 2, 2013

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all people you actually realize what you’re speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek advice from my site =). We could have a link alternate arrangement among us!

Posted by: Public Health

July 29, 2013

A formidable share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit evaluation on this. And he in actual fact purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If doable, as you change into experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra particulars? It’s extremely useful for me. Large thumb up for this weblog put up!

Posted by: Hai Stuttgen

July 28, 2013

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this web site wants way more consideration. I�ll probably be once more to learn way more, thanks for that info.

Posted by: Clifton Pax

July 21, 2013

I�d need to examine with you here. Which isn’t one thing I often do! I take pleasure in studying a submit that may make individuals think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

Posted by: Faustino Ralon

July 19, 2013

Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I wish to put in writing like this moreover � taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article however what can I say I procrastinate alot and in no way appear to get one thing done.

Posted by: Joye Hojczyk

June 16, 2013

They’ve already the 24-hour back-up and support group willing to answer virtually any queries you may have, possibly by means of e-mail or even when using the phone. It doesn’t matter what denomination you’re actively playing both.

Posted by: online slots reviews

May 20, 2013

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
I do not know who you are but definitely
you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

Posted by: . Save Cancel Mobile Website