Michael Haydock, Chief Scientist, IBM Global Business Services, Retail Analytics Leader

By Michael Haydock

Jewelry sales are set to shine this year and expected to grow more than 11 percent in the second quarter and nine percent overall this year, according to a new Big Data-based retail forecast from IBM.

According to the analysis, improved consumer confidence, lower unemployment and enhanced stock dividends from the fourth quarter of 2012 have combined to leave people ready to start spending on luxury items again, like jewelry.

In addition, key retailers are buttressing the economic landscape and driving sales by leveraging Big Data analytics to better understand and respond to customers and trends. Sterling Jewelers, for example, which owns the popular Jared and Kay brands, overhauled its digital channels to better respond to changing consumer preferences. The move led to an increase in online sales of 49 percent this past holiday season.

Sterling commissioned IBM for research that included a customer segmentation analysis, voice of the customer surveys and in-store observations. With deeper insights into customer needs and distinct shopping scenarios – as well as the capabilities required to support them online – they were able to extend the Kay and Jared in-store shopping experience online and into the mobile channel.SP jewelry forecast April 2013

IBM’s retail analytics forecast examines some 22 years of historical retail data from the U.S. Census Bureau, which captures sales observations from over 46,000 retailers monthly from 1992 to the present. It also examines consumer confidence, disposable income, and unemployment data, stock market information, and a long list of other factors. The company then applies patented algorithms to the data to model seasonal peaks and patterns, making IBM’s retail forecasts over 97 percent accurate – four times more accurate than retailers’ own forecasts.

Armed with these hyper-accurate forecasts, retailers can get ahead of trends to ensure that the right product mix in their stores, allocate the best use of advertisement dollars and make sure they have the right number of staff to ride the peaks and valleys ahead.

In addition to the projected spike in jewelry sales, the latest forecast also predicts a boost to in-store consumer electronics sales, which are projected to grow 2.33 percent in the second quarter and 1.58 percent overall for 2013, after five years of decline. Though a modest gain, the news is welcome to an industry that has been challenged by the rising impact of new social retailing phenomena, such as showrooming, in which consumers look at items in a store before ultimately buying them online – usually at lower prices.

IBM is betting that Big Data analytics can be used to help companies unlock new areas of business and better serve clients. Researchers at the new IBM Customer Experience Lab are developing the IBM Virtual Closet, a prototype technology that enables retailers to look at items consumers recently purchased or showed an interest in – whether online, in a physical store or on a social network – and tailor recommendations based on that consumer’s unique taste and style.

The Virtual Closet is a great illustration of how retailers can use Big Data to better serve clients. By using information to provide exceptional customer experiences, whether online or in a store, companies will be able to attract more loyal customers and engage them in an ongoing relationship rather than a series of isolated transactions.

The challenge facing all retailers is how to successfully use Big Data to understand their customers and grow sales. The information is already out there. Now it needs to be optimized, analyzed and leveraged and that will require shifts in how retailers operate. But as the report shows, they’re starting to get it.

September 17, 2014

Fastidious replies in return of this matter with genuine
arguments and telling everything concerning that.

Posted by: Shelia

September 16, 2014

Hi! I was interested to know if setting up a web site such
your own: http://asmarterplanet.com/blog/2013/04/big-data-bling-how-economy-and-analytics-are-driving-jewelry-sales.html is tough to do for inexperienced people?
I have been hoping to develop my own blog for a while now but have been turned off mainly because I’ve always assumed it demanded tons of work.

What do you think? Appreciate it

Posted by: Fifa 15 Coin Generator

September 5, 2014

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this article is awesome,
nice written and come with approximately all significant infos.
I would like to peer more posts like this .

Posted by: best muscle building exercises

August 21, 2014

The treads radiate out from a center pole, with a curving center support and are often used as a secondary stair in a family home. Building permits are required for building, plumbing, septic system and sewer connection, and so on. By building your own home, you can have your ideal home while adding to your net worth.

Posted by: Theodore

July 25, 2014

It’s actually a great and helpful piece of info. I’m glad that you shared this useful info with us.
Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: kapsul binahong

July 18, 2014

After I initially commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and
now every time a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the same comment.
There has to be a means you can remove me from that
service? Kudos!

Posted by: kapsuldaunsirsak.net

July 10, 2014

Many of these include selling fitness equipment, home gym equipment,
gym bags, gym shorts, gym clothes, gym shoes, used gym equipment, and even gym
lockers. This treadmill has an integrated POLAR compatible pulse-receiver just in case you need
to monitor your heart rate, but the hand pulse sensors
and telemetric chest straps are optional and are sold separately.

When you wish to enjoy building endurance and training
without having to set oneself via a lot of pain, a recumbent exercise bicycle
might be what you require to get probably the most out of your workout time.

Posted by: กระชับเรือนร่าง

June 23, 2014

Hi everyone, it’s my first go to see at this site, and article is
actually fruitful for me, keep up posting these types of articles.

Posted by: weird

June 22, 2014

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you
make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
Plz reply as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from.
thanks

Posted by: pterodactyl

June 20, 2014

Hello there I am so grateful I found your site, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Google
for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a tremendous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the
theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have saved it
and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time
I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up
the excellent work.

Posted by: http://nufamco.net

March 6, 2014

Very good blog, thanks for sharing!

Posted by: swarovski Colliers

December 24, 2013

Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any method you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

Posted by: Rosario Gaitan

December 20, 2013

There are certainly a number of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment�s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: Jerry Lynema

December 14, 2013

I�m impressed, I need to say. Really not often do I encounter a blog that�s both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the difficulty is something that not enough individuals are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something referring to this.

Posted by: Randolph Curenton

August 4, 2013

i am a medical equipment businessman like
GE Mobile MRI , CX K4,CX K4 etc. if you need to know more information about that then click on the anchor text………..

Posted by: kethlen

August 4, 2013

What’s up mates, how is everything, and what you desire to say about this piece of writing, in my view its genuinely awesome for me.

Posted by: Garland

July 21, 2013

many many thanks for posting such a nice post. i am very very benefited for that post. ordinary people will be also benefited for that kind post. i am a medical equipment businessman like

Posted by: kethlen

July 5, 2013

I bought the Dissidia Final Fantasy 12 Legacy Edition new a few days ago and
when I tried to redeem the code on both my PS3 and PSP but it said “you entered the code wrong or it is no longer available. This also happened for the 50% off Final Fantasy code. Does anyone know why this happened and how to fix it and if I can apply for a new one? Thanks..

Posted by: Zach Amellio

June 21, 2013

Posted by: Handmade jewelry

May 28, 2013

Hurrah, that’s what I was looking for, what a information! existing here at this blog, thanks admin of this web page.

Posted by: opgiserd.livejournal.com

May 21, 2013

Jewellery may be made from a wide range of materials, but gemstones, precious metals, beads, and shells have been widely used. Depending on the culture and times jewellery may be appreciated as a status symbol, for its material properties, its patterns, or for meaningful symbols. Jewellery has been made to adorn nearly every body part, from hairpins to toe rings.”-’..

Most up-to-date content on our blog

Posted by: Marybeth Mcdevitt

August 18, 2014

acer invilink

Retail Archives « A Smarter Planet Blog A Smarter Planet Blog

Posted by: acer invilink

December 16, 2013

[…] trend of consumers beginning to give in to pent-up demand for big-ticket items and fulfills this IBM Big Data forecast from earlier in 2013 that jewelry sales would post double-digit growth.  Census Bureau figures on […]

Posted by: Ka-ching for bling: Double-digit gains for jewelry sales : BusinessJournalism.org Reynolds Center for Business Journalism

May 11, 2013

[...] IBM’s latest Big Data-based retail forecast suggests that some brick-and-mortar retailers are turning the tide against showrooming, a trend in which consumers look at items in a store before ultimately buying them online, usually at lower prices. In order to remain competitive and press their advantage further, brick-and-mortar stores must look to the cloud computing revolution as a way to upgrade their technology without busting their budgets. [...]

Posted by: Sunnier Days Ahead for Retailers that Use Cloud Computing | Leomoo.comLeomoo.com

May 11, 2013

Posted by: Sunnier Days Ahead for Retailers that Use Cloud ComputingInformation security & technology news