Thomas Erickson, Social Scientist, IBM Research

Thomas Erickson, Social Scientist, IBM Research

By Thomas Erickson

What do we mean by “smarter?” Most of us have technology in mind. Sensors gather data, networks aggregate it, analytics process it, and the result is that systems are able to act more efficiently. Traffic flows more smoothly. Energy is distributed more effectively. Healthcare is delivered more economically.

I have a different view of “smarter.” In my view, people can enhance digital smartness. Just as sensors can gather information, so can people. Just as digital systems can analyze data, so can people. Just as control systems can act in the world, so can people. Because people do these things very differently from the way digital systems do them, it means they can add layers of value, interpretation and innovation. “Smarter,” in my opinion, means human intelligence and digital smartness working together, in a complementary fashion

Just as advanced technology has enabled digital smartness, it has also enabled what I call social intelligence.

The mobile devices in our pockets turn us into walking sensors; networks enable us to share and discuss what we discover; online communities and social networking sites provide venues for collective action. Wikipedia is perhaps the best known example, with over three and a half million articles in the English edition. Even more impressively, it can generate new articles literally overnight. For example, within an hour of the 2011 Tôhoku earthquake and tsunami in Japan, a three paragraph article had appeared; that, in turn, was edited over 1,500 times in the next 24 hours to produce a well-formed article with maps, photos and 79 references.

The place where digitally-enabled social intelligence will really come into its own is in cities. Cities are filled with dense collections of micro-experts. Me, for example — I’m the world expert on my yard. I know where water pools when it rains, and where it runs off into the storm sewers. I know the slab of sidewalk that has been pushed up, and that parents with strollers don’t like it but the skateboarders sure do. And I’ve got bad news about the tree in the front of my house: it’s sick, and it’s probably due to the Emerald Ash Borer – the insect that is expected to take out all two hundred thousand Ash trees in my city over the next decade. So, if anyone wants to understand storm water runoff in my city, or sidewalk maintenance needs, or figure out logistics for managing the urban forest, just ask me… and a million of my neighbors.

And, astonishingly, this is becoming possible. In the last decade a multitude of applications have arisen and are tapping the social intelligence of large populations. The IBM Social Sentiment Index mines social media channels to reveal citizens’ sentiments on topics from traffic to commerce. FixMyStreet allows people report potholes and other street problems, while IBM CreekWatch lets people report on the status of urban waterways. Cyclopath gathers ratings and other input from users and provides bicycle-friendly routes around my city, taking into account everything from pavement conditions to scenery. What these systems have in common is that they are not relying on solely on altruism – instead, they are tapping into less lofty but more dependable motivations such as self interest, indignation and group identity.

So when we think about “smarter,” let’s not forget about people. We’ve used digital technology to create systems that are more effective and efficient, and that’s a good thing. But let’s not stop there. People are everywhere. They are experts on local information– their homes, their places of work, the routes they travel every day. That’s what they care about, and that’s what will get them involved. And when we design systems that make a place for people to be active, first class participants, where millions can share what they know, then we’ll really see smarter.

Read more about my thoughts on applying “Smartness” here.

November 8, 2014

Wow, amazing blog layout! How lengthy have you been running a blog for?
you made blogging look easy. The full look of your site is wonderful,
let alone the content!

Posted by: french food

November 8, 2014

This page definitely has all of the information and facts I wanted about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

Posted by: 東京自駕遊

October 27, 2014

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too
great. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it.
You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep
it smart. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous site.

Posted by: 翻牆軟件

September 28, 2014

Howdy are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog
world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own.
Do you require any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
Any help would be really appreciated!

Posted by: GreenSmoke review

September 9, 2014

Hey there, You have done an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally
suggest to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this
web site.

Posted by: Heriberto

July 15, 2014

What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable familiarity regarding unexpected feelings.

Posted by: Lawyer Referral Service In Peoria Il

March 28, 2014

Your method of explaining the whole thing in this piece of writing is really good, all can effortlessly know it, Thanks a lot.

Posted by: Belstaff H Racer

March 9, 2014

I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as
nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You are incredible!
Thanks!

Posted by: herbalife

August 8, 2013

I have to show my respect for your kind-heartedness supporting folks who really want help with in this area of interest. Your personal dedication to getting the solution all-around had been especially effective and have made ladies like me to realize their targets. Your own helpful suggestions denotes a whole lot a person like me and additionally to my mates. Many thanks; from everyone of us.

Posted by: Modern Sofa

July 26, 2013

There are some fascinating time limits on this article however I don�t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There’s some validity however I’ll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as properly

Posted by: Michel Gerken

October 20, 2014

kiczo.com

The Power of Combining Digital and Social Intelligence « A Smarter Planet Blog A Smarter Planet Blog

Posted by: kiczo.com

October 16, 2014

man made diamonds for sale

Posted by: man made diamonds for sale

October 16, 2014

macy’s black diamond ring sale

Posted by: macy's black diamond ring sale

October 12, 2014

pallaki.org

Posted by: pallaki.org

October 12, 2014

mens suits

Posted by: mens suits

October 5, 2014

furniture

Posted by: furniture

October 4, 2014

Posted by: followshops.net

September 22, 2014

mid century modern furniture in columbus ohio

Posted by: mid century modern furniture in columbus ohio

September 21, 2014

Brave Frontier hack exe

new intelligence Archives « Page 3 of 26 « A Smarter Planet Blog A Smarter Planet Blog

Posted by: Brave Frontier hack exe

September 6, 2014

chairs

Posted by: chairs

September 11, 2013

[...] Erickson of IBM puts it somewhat differently but his point is in line when he [...]

Posted by: Socializing Big Data through BRPs | Skilful Minds