Chris Thomas, Solution Architect, IBM Software Group

Chris Thomas, Solution Architect, Big Data, Analytics,  IBM Software Group

By Chris Thomas

With technology in sport advancing at such fast pace, the ways in which fans can engage with their favourite game is changing rapidly. In today’s ‘always on’ society, even when fans can’t attend a match in person, they have a whole host of ways in which they can experience the action – whether in the comfort of their home or on the move. Some argue the way modern technology has developed in providing an added layer of real-time insight and information, remote interaction is actually beginning to rival watching a game in the flesh.

As Wimbledon kicked off in London SW19 last week, the way technology is playing an increasingly key role in enhancing the fan experience can be clearly seen.Wimbledon Logo 100 2013 With ownership of smartphones and tablet computers becoming commonplace all around the world, it seems second nature for tennis fans to turn to social media to comment on the matches unfurling on their TV screens. Indeed, our Social Sentiment analysis shows that while Rafa Nadal is the most talked about player it is the Brits’ Andy Murray (37% positive, 52% neutral) and Laura Robson (44% positive, 50% neutral) who are leading the positive mentions.

YouTube Preview Image

In addition to monitoring a player’s social media popularity off the court, IBM’s SlamTracker technology offers ‘Keys to the Match’ which uses analytics to predict how they might perform on the court. It’s a similar approach to one we recently adopted for this year’s Six Nations rugby tournament, where we partnered with the Rugby Football Union to identify three crucial areas of performance specific to each team ahead of every match. In the context of Wimbledon, we’re analysing both competitors’ historic head-to-head stats from over eight years of Grand Slam Tennis (touching upon 41 million data points) to determine which strategies might best improve their chances of securing a win.

SP Wimbledon Word Graphic July 2013

Top trending themes from IBM sentiment analysis during the Wimbledon Championships 2013.

We’ve had a lot of interest in SlamTracker from clients from a range of industries. And they’re not just interested in how things like ‘Keys to the Match’ might give them the edge when it comes to debating a likely winner with their friends over a punnet of strawberries and cream. All of our clients want to get more value and information out of their data to enable them to make better and more informed business decisions. Wimbledon is a great way of showing the world what we can do in the context of tennis, but the very same principles can be used in business too to gain a competitive edge and a better bottom line.

April 15, 2014

Andy Murray never been that interesting, Rafa no 1

Posted by: Bb driving school leeds

February 23, 2014

Simply wish to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is just spectacular and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

Posted by: Beauty Spa

February 20, 2014

It features both an analog and digital display, all in one.

The bracelet has a double extension structure and comes with
diving security clasp. The Victorinox logo that adorns each
Swiss Army Watch is the ultimate signal of ruggedness.

Posted by: Francisco

December 7, 2013

The Audi logo, four rings that are interweaved together, connotes a thought
about being collectively. Well, you can trace the answer
to that when you look at how the marketing techniques are utilized.
If you’re going to have a centered design, make sure that the
width of the outermost container is set to
a width that most screen resolutions will support without making the visitor scroll from left to
the right.

Posted by: panoramiczne360.pl

November 15, 2013

He spends significantly of his ttime composing annd
advising on new marketing and advertising and moble
phone engineering. It is not necessary everyone who reads thee email will continue, but
at least it gives you a chance to share. The first step is
to perform ranking analysis on the given subjects.

Posted by: community.spiceworks.com

August 2, 2013

It¡¦s actually a cool and useful piece of info. I¡¦m glad that you just shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: home security interior

August 2, 2013

Hello, you used to write excellent, but the last few posts have been kinda boring¡K I miss your super writings. Past few posts are just a little out of track! come on!

Posted by: Corporate Finance

August 1, 2013

Helpful information. Lucky me I found your website by chance, and I’m stunned why this accident did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

Posted by: water staying power

July 31, 2013

Well I definitely liked reading it. This article procured by you is very practical for good planning.

Posted by: beauty suggestions to

July 31, 2013

Good write-up, I am regular visitor of one¡¦s web site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

Posted by: optimization solar energy

July 31, 2013

Hiya very cool web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also¡KI’m glad to search out a lot of helpful info right here within the post, we want work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

Posted by: Wedding

July 30, 2013

The subsequent time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, however I truly thought youd have one thing fascinating to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you can repair should you werent too busy searching for attention.

Posted by: Lenny Caravantes

July 8, 2013

“monitoring a player’s social media popularity off the court”??? That’s all you got? That’s your big data? What about the analytics for predicting the tennis matches or the results of the soccer matches? How did the analytics do? What key metrics were used? How can I relate that to my business when all you’re doing is collecting tweets? There’s nothing that impresses me in this article.

Posted by: tom

1 Trackback

July 5, 2013

[...] to be to replicate the Wimbledon experience for fans through our digital channels and to make Wimbledon’s digital platforms the next best thing to being [...]

Posted by: Digital Wimbledon: the Next Best Thing to Being There « A Smarter Planet Blog