Chris Thomas, Solution Architect, IBM Software Group

Chris Thomas, Solution Architect, Big Data, Analytics,  IBM Software Group

By Chris Thomas

With technology in sport advancing at such fast pace, the ways in which fans can engage with their favourite game is changing rapidly. In today’s ‘always on’ society, even when fans can’t attend a match in person, they have a whole host of ways in which they can experience the action – whether in the comfort of their home or on the move. Some argue the way modern technology has developed in providing an added layer of real-time insight and information, remote interaction is actually beginning to rival watching a game in the flesh.

As Wimbledon kicked off in London SW19 last week, the way technology is playing an increasingly key role in enhancing the fan experience can be clearly seen.Wimbledon Logo 100 2013 With ownership of smartphones and tablet computers becoming commonplace all around the world, it seems second nature for tennis fans to turn to social media to comment on the matches unfurling on their TV screens. Indeed, our Social Sentiment analysis shows that while Rafa Nadal is the most talked about player it is the Brits’ Andy Murray (37% positive, 52% neutral) and Laura Robson (44% positive, 50% neutral) who are leading the positive mentions.

YouTube Preview Image

In addition to monitoring a player’s social media popularity off the court, IBM’s SlamTracker technology offers ‘Keys to the Match’ which uses analytics to predict how they might perform on the court. It’s a similar approach to one we recently adopted for this year’s Six Nations rugby tournament, where we partnered with the Rugby Football Union to identify three crucial areas of performance specific to each team ahead of every match. In the context of Wimbledon, we’re analysing both competitors’ historic head-to-head stats from over eight years of Grand Slam Tennis (touching upon 41 million data points) to determine which strategies might best improve their chances of securing a win.

SP Wimbledon Word Graphic July 2013

Top trending themes from IBM sentiment analysis during the Wimbledon Championships 2013.

We’ve had a lot of interest in SlamTracker from clients from a range of industries. And they’re not just interested in how things like ‘Keys to the Match’ might give them the edge when it comes to debating a likely winner with their friends over a punnet of strawberries and cream. All of our clients want to get more value and information out of their data to enable them to make better and more informed business decisions. Wimbledon is a great way of showing the world what we can do in the context of tennis, but the very same principles can be used in business too to gain a competitive edge and a better bottom line.

May 23, 2016

The time which was abused in going for illuminating cost now it can be utilized for studies. fat diminisher review youtube

Posted by: celen

May 15, 2016

There is a purpose that virtually all window cleaners (actually any window cleaner you
would need to hire) use squeegees.

Posted by: gutter cleaning near me

May 15, 2016

If, alternatively, you are in a company that handles paperwork and
data, and it’s a new trade that’s changing rapidly, you might be more likely to be higher
off utilizing generic software that you can customise to grow with the
adjustments in what you are promoting.

Posted by: what is managed it services

May 15, 2016

Since about three of 4 years in the past, all dental care for these receiving SSI has been suspended
indefinitely, attributable to this alleged budget disaster in California!

Posted by: y2y2.net

May 14, 2016

That is to say, I know it was my choice to examine, on the other hand I truly thought you’d have something intriguing to say. click here

Posted by: celen

April 28, 2016

Splendid ! I have examined your amazing post. This is an incredible occupation. I have appreciated the experience of looking at your post first time. klussengekte

Posted by: klusgekte.nl

April 28, 2016

You give perusers a broad measure to consider and I regard that sort of making. Such an enormously strong article. the diminisher system pdf

Posted by: klusgekte.nl

April 28, 2016

I assume that the custom awakens after this..thumbs up for your work.I don’t understand what has happened to the custom of passing on solid incredible articles.Acheter le Meilleur Pico projecteur

Posted by: celen

April 25, 2016

Pest information and management suggestions
presented here have been developed for North Carolina and might not be acceptable for different states or regions.

Posted by: Georgia

April 21, 2016

I genuinely had a lot of help from this and I may need to give back where its due and that is the reason boutique dresses

Posted by: celen

April 16, 2016

I truly do have trust in a large portion of the standards you’ve showed up for the post.your post is besides truly intriguing and instructive.. Texas vodka

Posted by: celen

April 8, 2016

Imagining another personality blowing article.I am fiery to discover this post especially strong for me, as it contains heap of data. http://www.luxtime.su/hermes-handbags

Posted by: celen

April 1, 2016

It is really what I anticipated that would see confide in future you will proceed in sharing such a brilliant post. Acheter la Meilleure Camera d Action

Posted by: celen

March 28, 2016

I need to express critical gratefulness for this post.I need to say that you have shared a grand post. Radiant tips and clear. Quel Est Le Meilleur Antivirus pour ordinateur

Posted by: celen

March 25, 2016

While it would be feasible to present a hoverboard fire video clip,
BuleBritish seems truly surprised and peeved by the event with
his brand-new plaything.

Posted by: Joellen

March 24, 2016

A pledge of appreciation is all together to share it. A level out need read article. You completely have surprising stories. what is heartburn like

Posted by: celen

March 23, 2016

You could issue it’s magnificent.Pretty superior to anything normal post.We are truly thankful for your website section. Tests Ventilateurs Colonnes

Posted by: celen

March 19, 2016

I concur with your choices and will eagerly suspect your future redesign. I beginning late went once again your web journal and have been examining along. Tests Fours a pizza

Posted by: celen

March 17, 2016

The incredibly rich in this country developed products or services that the remainder of the country’s people wanted and even paid for;
hence transfering their prospective wide
range to the leading 1 %. If the rest of the American public
wish to become wealthy after that they could make use of the very same reduced tax code
that the well-off do by spending their cash as opposed to investing it on the goods as well as services that the leading 1 % offer.

Posted by: glors.ru

March 16, 2016

You could have realized that this is something you don’t need to pay your cable company for.

Posted by: cable internet modems best buy

March 16, 2016

We likewise made note of about the number of access numbers are readily available for dial-up in backwoods;
the more access numbers readily available, the much better opportunity a consumer has of securing a dial-up link
swiftly and also constantly.

Posted by: wcbiathlon-smf.tw1.ru

March 16, 2016

It’s in fact very complicated in this fuyll of activity life to listen news oon Television, so
I just usee web for that reason, and get the most reent news.

Posted by: Albertina

March 15, 2016

Accreditation: The leading debt-management business are certified by companies
conssisting of the National Foundation for Credit rating Theerapy (NFCC), Organization oof Independent Consumer Credit Therapy Agencies (AICCCA),
Council onn Accreditration (COA), International Company for Standardization (ISO),
and thhe Bbb (BBB).

Posted by: www.blipstar.com

February 3, 2016

I’m simply a customer of S & S.Thought I ‘d suggest a great tile
setter, they’re extremely hard to come by.I wwas recommended byy a great
buddy that visited senior high school with the proprietor.

Posted by: Maryland tile store

January 6, 2016

It’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I’m happy that you just shared this useful info with us.
Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: www.sunfrogshirts.com

January 3, 2016

Wow! After all I got a website from where I be capable of truly
get useful data regarding my study and knowledge.

Posted by: Testosterone patches

January 2, 2016

Nintendo World Report was more forgiving in its impression of the game.
Now whether Buck manages to beat them in the
process or not, relish Pokemon highly-promising episode 644 to find that out.
It lets you break rocks outside of battle, but not
until you get the Coal Badge, so keep heading straight to the right.

Posted by: Pokemon ash grey download

January 2, 2016

If you take our protein, meaning, you are able to be assured that
you establishing yourself up achievement inside longterm and the small and are putting in the finest
form of protein.

Posted by: Ollie

September 27, 2015

Truly lots of valuable facts!

Posted by: today football news

September 12, 2015

The Nectarine has smooth-slick pores and skin like a Plum. The style is resembling a Peach. The significant distinction is that the Peach has a rough protective skin a prickly fiber that protects the fruit and if not wiped-off can hurt your tongue….

Posted by: wudang kung fu

September 9, 2015

This is the 4 article I ready on this blog . Very nice

Posted by: rca ieftin

July 21, 2015

Thanks with regard to giving this type of good articles.

Posted by: soccer news

June 13, 2015

I need a good male pseudonym to use when blogging.. Sorry if this is the wrong place for the question :(. It sort of relates because I want to blog, but I don’t want my acquaintances/friends to see it..

Posted by: doa ulang tahun untuk diri sendiri

May 28, 2015

“How do you pastor when they are within the church cafeteria frying. Tapioca could be deep-fried, steamed, converted to soups, stew, dumplings and cooked with meat. If every time you eat dinner you place something either red, orange, or green in your plate, you will be sure to have many from the nutrients your body needs. This is actually a real issue within the long run and you may struggle to find motivation to continue on the quest to reduce the extra weight that you simply want to lose.

Posted by: imagenes.in

May 15, 2015
March 6, 2015

Next the best rule of thumb is to stroke the chain at least three times per side.
This is ideal for jobs close to the house, but
may be cumbersome for those farther away. Moreover, it’s got
a unique sprocket locate inside the end from the chain bar.

Posted by: Battery Powered Chainsaw Lowes

January 23, 2015

Thanks ! For Article

Posted by: snapseed for pc

July 14, 2014

I think this is among the most significant information for me.
And i am glad reading your article. But want to
remark on few general things, The web site style is
wonderful, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

Posted by: Lawyer Information In Peoria Il

April 15, 2014

Andy Murray never been that interesting, Rafa no 1

Posted by: Bb driving school leeds

February 23, 2014

Simply wish to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is just spectacular and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

Posted by: Beauty Spa

February 20, 2014

It features both an analog and digital display, all in one.

The bracelet has a double extension structure and comes with
diving security clasp. The Victorinox logo that adorns each
Swiss Army Watch is the ultimate signal of ruggedness.

Posted by: Francisco

December 7, 2013

The Audi logo, four rings that are interweaved together, connotes a thought
about being collectively. Well, you can trace the answer
to that when you look at how the marketing techniques are utilized.
If you’re going to have a centered design, make sure that the
width of the outermost container is set to
a width that most screen resolutions will support without making the visitor scroll from left to
the right.

Posted by: panoramiczne360.pl

November 15, 2013

He spends significantly of his ttime composing annd
advising on new marketing and advertising and moble
phone engineering. It is not necessary everyone who reads thee email will continue, but
at least it gives you a chance to share. The first step is
to perform ranking analysis on the given subjects.

Posted by: community.spiceworks.com

August 2, 2013

It¡¦s actually a cool and useful piece of info. I¡¦m glad that you just shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: home security interior

August 2, 2013

Hello, you used to write excellent, but the last few posts have been kinda boring¡K I miss your super writings. Past few posts are just a little out of track! come on!

Posted by: Corporate Finance

August 1, 2013

Helpful information. Lucky me I found your website by chance, and I’m stunned why this accident did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

Posted by: water staying power

July 31, 2013

Well I definitely liked reading it. This article procured by you is very practical for good planning.

Posted by: beauty suggestions to

July 31, 2013

Good write-up, I am regular visitor of one¡¦s web site, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

Posted by: optimization solar energy

July 31, 2013

Hiya very cool web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also¡KI’m glad to search out a lot of helpful info right here within the post, we want work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

Posted by: Wedding

July 30, 2013

The subsequent time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, however I truly thought youd have one thing fascinating to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you can repair should you werent too busy searching for attention.

Posted by: Lenny Caravantes

July 8, 2013

“monitoring a player’s social media popularity off the court”??? That’s all you got? That’s your big data? What about the analytics for predicting the tennis matches or the results of the soccer matches? How did the analytics do? What key metrics were used? How can I relate that to my business when all you’re doing is collecting tweets? There’s nothing that impresses me in this article.

Posted by: tom

1 Trackback

July 5, 2013

[...] to be to replicate the Wimbledon experience for fans through our digital channels and to make Wimbledon’s digital platforms the next best thing to being [...]

Posted by: Digital Wimbledon: the Next Best Thing to Being There « A Smarter Planet Blog