Steve Hamm, IBM Writer

Steve Hamm, IBM Writer

By Steve Hamm

As the most-attended sporting event to be staged worldwide each year, the US Open Tennis Championships in New York City is an ultra-high-profile venue for demonstrating IBM’s technology chops. Each year since the company became the United States Tennis Association’s technology sponsor in 1990, IBM tech teams have endeavored to outdo the advances they produced the year before. You can see their work as the up-to-date expression each year of what it takes to run a big sports event with the latest technology available. This year is no exception. Cloud computing really came into its own.

But what about next year? This year’s matches have barely begun, yet the tech team is already thinking about how they’ll upstage themselves a year from now.

And it’s no surprise that they’re thinking about Watson, the IBM technology that beat two former grand-champions at the TV quiz show Jeopardy! Watson, a highly sophisticated question-and-answer technology, is one of a number of cognitive computing technologies that IBM scientists and engineers are find homes for in a wide variety of industries–from healthcare and banking to retailing and pharmaceuticals. Why not apply cognitive computing to a mega sporting event?

If you want to learn more about this new era of cognitive computing, download a free chapter of Smart Machines, a book by IBM Research Director John E. Kelly III, at the Web site of Columbia University Press, http://cup.columbia.edu/static/cognitive.

YouTube Preview Image

The tech team in Raleigh, N.C., led by Brian O’Connell, conducted a brainstorming session a couple of weeks ago to see how Watson could augment the tennis fan experience. Some of the most intriguing ideas were fed in by team member Aaron Baughman, who spent two years working on the Watson technology when it was still an IBM Research project. Aaron lives in Maryland, but he fired off an email packed with ideas.

Aaron and daughter, Kaytelin

Aaron and daughter, Kaytelin

Aaron believes that cognitive technologies could utterly transform the US Open, from the way the technology responds to changes in demand for computing resources to the experiences of the fans, commentators and players. “Watson could bring a whole new level of engagement. It’s a cognitive agent that can improve the interactions between all of the people involved and between them and the event itself,” he says.

One idea he threw out is the concept of the Super Commentator. Today, TV commentators at the US Open can tap into IBM’s Keys to the Match technologies to see how players are performing compared to their potential, spot turning points in the play and offer suggestions for how a player can begin to perform better. With Watson, Aaron says, the commentators could go much deeper. They could query Watson in real time about how a certain player or duo has performed in the past. Once Watson provided answers, in a matter of seconds, they could drill down into the evidence to find insights into the players’ performance that bears on the current matches.

He envisions augmenting Watson with predictive analytics technologies the sports events  team  has created for the US Open. In this future scenario, that technology would help commentators analyze and offer insights about matches with a level of accuracy never possible before.

Aaron and Watson

Aaron and Watson

In fact, there’s already some computing technology at work at the US Open this year. As I wrote at the top, this is the year that cloud computing has really come into its own at the championships. One of the core advantages of cloud computing is that it’s flexible. If you need more or less computing resources at a particular time, the system can be changed quickly in response. It’s even better if you can predict demand in advance. That way, you don’t have to provision too many computers and you don’t get caught flatfooted if there’s a sudden spike in demand for applications and Web pages. For this year’s US Open, the technology team is using technologies for managing unstructured information, borrowed from Watson, to improve the predictive capabilities of the cloud management system.

In an innovation environment like this, cutting-edge technologies feed off each other. It’s an incubator for new ideas that not only can enliven and enrich the fan experience at the US Open, but will doubtless flow into other IBM products and services. So the US Open isn’t just a showcase for IBM technologies; it’s a laboratory for what might come next.

_____________________________________________________

Follow IBM Smarter Planet on Google+

September 26, 2016

This article good and i like it . It is very helpful for everyone . Keep share and succes :)

Posted by: Crystal X Asli dan Palsu

September 17, 2016

TO THE WEBMASTER IN CONTROL OF WATSON CYBORG FINALLY.

Posted by: David Watson

September 17, 2016

SUBJECT AIRWOLF A56-7W: DEAR GOD WHAT IS IT?WHY DOES ARCH ANGEL HOLDING HIS EAGLE CANE SHOUT THOSE WORDS, THE QUESTION THIS DEVELOPER IS RUNNING A TRACE PROGRAM USING XML PC LINGUISTICAL SOFT WARE AND OR SPYWARE WILL MY JEOPARDY QUESTION BE A MARK UP.

Posted by: David Watson

August 29, 2016

Hi everybody, here every one is sharing such knowledge, so it’s good to read this
web site, and I used to visit this webpage all the time.

Posted by: Olive

August 13, 2016

Hi there, I enjoy reading ɑll of οur article post.
I like tto աrite a ⅼittle cօmment to support yⲟu.

Posted by: tips dan trik cara jitu terbaik

August 12, 2016

Hello my member of the family! I want to point
out that this article is amazing, great written and have almost all
significant infos. I would like to discover more posts similar to this .

Posted by: MariaRMunden

August 6, 2016

I аll tһᥱ tіmᥱ usеd to reɑd piewce oof writing in news papers but nnow as I aam a ᥙser
оf web thus frоm now I aam using net fօr contеnt, thаnks to web.

Posted by: villa kolam renang batu malang murah

August 1, 2016

heyy theгe and thank yⲟu for your info – I have definiteⅼу picked ᥙp sοmething new
from right here. I diid however experfise a feѡ technical pointѕ using tɦis wweb site,
as І experienced to reload the ѕit many times previous to I сould ɡet iit tο load
properly. Ӏ һad Ьᥱen wondering iff ʏour wweb host is OK?

Not that I’m complaining, bᥙt sluggish loading instances tіmеs wiⅼl sometimes affect
yоur placement iin google аnd ϲan damage your quality score іf ads and marmeting ԝith Adwords.
Anyway I’m adding thiis RSS to my email ɑnd could ⅼook out foг much more of yyour respective excitin content.
Makee sure you uodate tһіs agaіn very ѕoon.

Posted by: jual tempered glass iphone 6 murah

June 12, 2016

Howdy, i read your blog occasjonally and i own a similar
one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam responses?
If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
I get so mucxh lately it’s driving me insane so any assistance is
very much appreciated.

Posted by: Bettye

June 5, 2016

It is one of the most effective advertising
tools to aid consumers to choose in between quality people as well
as their products as well as those that are not so steady.

Posted by: Eula

June 5, 2016

Like occasion management firms these brand consulting firms help brand-new and also large
entrepreneurs to mark their way in market with a wholesome process which includes
advertisement production and also campaigning additionally with a strenuous
research study behind it.Branding being a major requirement in today’s globe, brand working as a consultant firms play fairly an important duty in making
big business desires become a reality.

Posted by: Adell

June 5, 2016

The MXI Corp ONLINE MARKETING business chance consists
of a binary settlement plan with a payout of as much as
50 % of total commission-able quantity guaranteed.

Posted by: Isiah

June 5, 2016

Thinking about that regarding 80 billion mugs of coffee are taken in worldwide annually, I locate it difficult
to belive that there is much health risk.

Posted by: Dennis

May 30, 2016

Attractive portion of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to
claim that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts.

Any way I will be subscribing in your augment or even I success you get entry to constantly fast.

Posted by: Duane

May 25, 2016

Monstrous thumbs up for making such awesome site page ! This is all things considered a shrewd site. my partner and i would not joke about this.lose weight with fat diminisher system

Posted by: celen

April 24, 2016

Thank you for providing such an amazing content! thank you! Opulence For Life Program

Posted by: Bryan

April 24, 2016

Extraordinary post. I understand something harder on unmistakable locales general. the fat diminisher does it work

Posted by: celen

April 21, 2016

Do not want to miss a recipe?

Posted by: 中国食谱

April 13, 2016

Posted by: Jasa Penulis Artikel

April 9, 2016

Really I read it yesterday yet I had a few examinations about it and today I expected that would take a gander at it again in light of the way that it is particularly meticulously encircled. http://www.luxtime.su/chloe-bags

Posted by: celen

March 30, 2016

they need or should succeed to reinforce needs of the family.You will locate a gigantic measure of systems in the wake of going by your post. I was completely looking for. Meilleur Smartphone Windows

Posted by: celen

March 21, 2016

Much gratitude to you such an awesome sum for sharing this mind boggling blog.Very energizing and pleasing too.Appareils a Sandwich et Presses a Panini NousTestons

Posted by: celen

March 5, 2016

This webb site truly has all the infotmation I wanted concerning thiss subject and didn’t
know who to ask.

Posted by: Weight Loss

March 4, 2016

The unique cabin is something that differentiates it from the rest of the world,
as it delivers a memorable experience for visitors
and locals alike. Think about that for a moment, you will get it later if not now.
Although they were interested about the quality and packages of their cable television, but
the price is the point.

Posted by: Seilzug

March 3, 2016

It was to an incredible degree all around created and clear. Not in the scarcest degree such as extra regions I have inspected which are truly not that wonderful. http://besthardtopgazebos.com

Posted by: http://besthardtopgazebos.com

February 2, 2016

I used to be recommended this website by my cousin.
I am now not positive whether this put up is written through him as nobody else know such specified about my difficulty.
You’re wonderful! Thank you!

Posted by: ทำเพจ

January 20, 2016

good post

Posted by: psiphon for pc

December 18, 2015

Following expenditures Joel Greenblatt’s magic
formula method generates 4.5% annual alpha.

Posted by: gay

December 16, 2015

Nice answer back in return of this matter with genuine arguments and describing everything about
that.

Posted by: Catherine

December 16, 2015

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to say that I get in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts.
Anyway I’ll be subscribing for your feeds or even I fulfillment you get
right of entry to persistently rapidly.

Posted by: Albertha

December 16, 2015

This excellent website certainly has all the information I needed concerning this subject and didn’t
know who to ask.

Posted by: Johnny

December 16, 2015

The views and opinions expressed herein are these of the author and
do not necessarily reflect the views of Alpha Architect,
its affiliates or its staff.

Posted by: dedilhado

December 15, 2015

Funciona assim: Semelhante à endermologia, consiste em sugar
a pele por meio de ventosas, de diferentes tamanhos e pressionar a região com pequenos rolinhos.

Posted by: esse site eu recomendo

December 14, 2015

This is very worthwhile, You’re a really skilled blogger.
I have joined your feed and look forward to reading more of
your excellent post. Furthermore, I have shared your site in my social networks!

Posted by: Norma

December 12, 2015

Funciona assim: aparelho realiza uma massagem profunda através da
sucção, que melhora fluxo sanguíneo, e a nutrição celular e desorganiza as células adiposas.

Posted by: www.isj.sv.edu.ro

December 11, 2015

Pois jogo do texto usa técnicas com as palavras
corretas que despertam a atração na cabeça da Mulher.

Posted by: www.recyclingtoday.com

December 10, 2015

Much more worryingly, some studies have reported unexpected deaths among infants who consumed formula supplemented with
LCPUFAs (Palmer.

Posted by: www.Lauritz.Com

December 10, 2015

Por consiguiente, no semeja posible determinar hasta qué punto el sistema solar es propio atípico entre los sistemas planetarios del Cosmos.

Posted by: astrologia definicion etimologica

December 10, 2015

Leo Araújo, no começo de sua pré-adolescência, era um gordinho, porém, como a maioria dos adolescentes,
após ficar um pouco mais velho, cresceu, e devido à sua altura acabou
ficando magro, com cerca de 55 Kg, porém, devido à gordura perdida, acabou ficando
muito flácido.

Posted by: melhor site

December 9, 2015

) Emraan Hashmi in Rush movie plays a Crime journalist, who gets
trapped in by his editor and does a crime. The CIA specialists,
Hobbs, has helped Dominic (Vin Diesel) in his mission in “Quick & Furious 6″.
Watch Hindi movies online – It is actually an entertaining and fun.

Posted by: Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip torrent

December 9, 2015

Jonathan Chaudhry is what my wife loves to phone me however I don’t genuinely like getting named liike that.

To gather marbles is what I doo each and evry week.

Northern Marianas Islands is where he and his wife live. Accointing is in which her
maor cash flow comes from.

Posted by: freedom financial

December 8, 2015

Instruir trabalhador sobre a importância do enlonamento do caminhão,
para garantir que a carga seja transportada com segurança.

Posted by: cursos online gratuitos com certificado em minas gerais

December 8, 2015

Use canto interior do olho como um guia para onde sua sobrancelha deve idealmente começar.

Posted by: micropigmentacao fio a fio

December 1, 2015

The beach, favela and rainforest are each rendered
with attention to detail. I think this is the best thing when you act like smart and download the HD wallpaper
from it and you feel great when others ask you to provide or share these Movie posters with them.
It is just the thing you need for a perfect Sunday evening.

Posted by: Youth Torrent Download

November 29, 2015

There are many sites that offer the viewers to watch movies online for free of
cost. Again I believe that Martin will not allow producers,
if they decide to go into filming, to dabble too much with the characters or the
plot. Here’s the lowdown and both “Bookworm” and “Big Baby” whose names should be self-explanatory.

Posted by: www.Facebook.Com

November 26, 2015

And because it’s absolutely built-in, every design change you make automatically updates the lists
and diagrams.

Posted by: Ines

November 22, 2015

É Diretor da AQUILA Sistemas de Informação e Tecnologia nas áreas deTV Corporativa, Redes Sociais e Tecnologia Educacional, além de ser Consultor na RGM Informática em Gestão de Projetos e Planejamento Estratégico.

Posted by: marketing digital curso

November 20, 2015

This recreation is obtainable on Android and
iOS (iPhone 5 and above, iPod Touch fifth geneeration and above and iPad 3 and above).

Posted by: csr classics hack iphone 5

November 20, 2015

Lanza un nuevo día sin Impuesto sobre el Valor Añadido tras el éxito cosechado a..
en portátiles Acer, en batidoras, exprimidores, de C.V.
(“Gestar Electrodomésticos”), Sunbeam Oster de Acuña, Estos aparatos
NO son baratos pero si te tomas de verdad tu bienestar y piensas
hacer jugos todos y cada uno de los días, son la mejor opción.
de C.V. (Grupo HB/PS”), Applica Manufacturing, S.
de R.L. de C.V. (Applica Manufacturing”) y Ray Vac de México, Elanálisis de
cada entre los elementos relacionados con licuadoras se describe en los
puntos del cuarenta y siete al 58 de la Resolución de Comienzo.

Posted by: Colby

November 8, 2015

Our coders are always ensuring that only secure and absolutely worrking
hack tools are released!

Posted by: Charolette

November 6, 2015

Debes ponerla en la panificadora bien seca y con las paletas dentro mas fuera de
sus soportes, las colocarás en sus sitio cuando vayas a hacer pan nuevamente.

Posted by: Noreen

September 12, 2015

You can’t just tell someone to be friends with someone else, that has to happen naturally.

Posted by: wudang kung fu

September 3, 2015

Right now it appears like WordPress is the best blogging platform available right now.
(from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

Posted by: http://www.neuro3d.fr/

August 29, 2015

I can’t recall the last time I really enjoyed
a piece of writing just as much as this one. You have went beyond my
expectations on this topic as well as I agree with your points.
You’ve done well with this.

Posted by: business-alliance.blogspot.com

August 27, 2015

I tend not to leave a response, but after reading some of the responses on this page
Smarter Planet — What if Watson Showed Up at the USTO — A Smarter Planet Blog.
I do have some questions for you if you do not mind.
Is it simply me or do a few of these comments come across as if they are written by brain dead folks?
:-P And, if you are writing at additional online sites, I would
like to keep up with everything new you have to post.
Could you make a list of every one of your shared pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed,
or linkedin profile?

Posted by: Freddy

August 1, 2015

There vary ways to gain access to Gmail on the mobile device, like through your phone’s
browser, while using applications or sync feature.
csv file so I go browse, I think it is’s on my own desktop, Google.

Posted by: gmail app

July 5, 2015

Wow, that’s what I was seeking for, what a material! existing here at this website, thanks admin of this site.woodworking

Posted by: woodworking

June 25, 2015

get the top large digital clock available

Posted by: check them out here

June 25, 2015

Hi, I’m Jerome. I thought үoou might enjoy this funny
article.

Posted by: humour

June 22, 2015

glass pipe sets wholesale
glass pipe wholesale starter kit
wholesale glass pipe kit

Sometimes the actual playwrights are surprised by their are employed.
Most of the larger towns have supermarkets where you don’t have to your shopping for groceries.
And no, I am not writing about hoochie ha ha dresses.

Posted by: Mayra

June 14, 2015

It’s remarkable to pay a quick visit this web page and reading the
views of all mates on the topic of this paragraph, while
I am also zealous of getting experience.

Posted by: ecig mods

May 30, 2015

These signs or signs and symptoms are a reaction of the entire body on the notion that the human body is being attacked by these mold spores that generate the allergy.
After this setup is complete, then you will be able to install two
PC systems all at the same time connected using only
one Ethernet cord. Running, swimming, throwing, and swinging all involve some rotation through your body.

Posted by: Fawn

May 14, 2015

High fibre foods like dalia, green vegetables,
fruits such as apple, peach and guava are very good for diabetes.

Posted by: mary.ornelas25@innovasg.com

December 6, 2013

Im always great reading here Steve, await updates here. Will be great to see technology take entertainment with matches commenting to a newer level of accuracy.Thankx.
Reenai

Posted by: Mytravellingblog.com

December 2, 2013

Cheap Authentic nfl Jerseys For Sale From China Wholesale

Posted by: Authentic Dez Bryant Women's Youth Mens Jersey

September 6, 2013

This is a great article! I just discussed the importance of analytics to a classmate.

Posted by: L Trenton Marsh

September 6, 2013

I just came back from the US Open and was watching Rafael Nadal Win in straight sets. At the US Open they give you an optional radio ear piece with commentary from an expert. Having Watson provide some comments and stats would be a fascinating experience.

Posted by: Richard Eng

August 28, 2013

Looks like Watson trumps all – towards an exciting future. Thanks for the article!

Posted by: Amritha Alapati

August 27, 2013

Aaron what a great article, this is amazing. Well done.

Posted by: Barry Graham

September 18, 2013

[...] Though the 2013 US Open has ended, our work on the tournament is a year-round endeavor. The USTA has become one of the most technologically savvy of our global clients. In fact, we’re already jointly exploring ways to develop new ways to bring tennis fans even closer to the game at next year’s US Open. [...]

Posted by: Smarter Planet -- Big Data Analytics Aces US Tennis Open -- A Smarter Planet Blog

September 4, 2013

[...] Smarter Planet blog post on IBM and the US Open, by IBM Chief Storyteller Stephen Hamm [...]

Posted by: The US Open: IBM Technologies Changing the Game | IBM Official Alumni Group: The Greater IBM Connection

August 30, 2013

[...] analytics. Whether they know it or not, those fans will be counting on cloud computing and predictive analytics technologies to provide the continuous and reliable access to stats, scores, videos and match [...]

Posted by: Meet Master Inventor Brian O’Connell: Another Person for a Smarter Planet | IBMJobs

August 29, 2013

[...] For those hardy enough to venture to the company’s website, there is a blog post called–I kid you not–”What if Watson Showed Up at the US Open Tennis Championships?“ [...]

Posted by: Doubles Chaos, R2 Rigging, and the Threat of Watson | Heavy Topspin: A Tennis Blog

August 29, 2013

[...] analytics. Whether they know it or not, those fans will be counting on cloud computing and predictive analytics technologies to provide the continuous and reliable access to stats, scores, videos and match insights.   Brian [...]

Posted by: Smarter Planet -- Meet Brian O'Connell: Person for a Smarter Planet -- A Smarter Planet Blog