Scott Burnett, Director, Global Consumer Electronics, IBM

Scott Burnett, Director, Global Consumer Electronics, IBM

By Scott Burnett

Despite an impressive track record of pioneering technology, today’s consumer electronics industry finds itself in the throes of a of massive transformation, driven by the proliferation of Internet-enabled devices that offer new intelligence and connectivity rivaling the ubiquity of electricity.

The tectonic shift is compelling electronics companies to search for new and sustainable growth opportunities as they set course to ride the next wave of the Internet of Things. The solution for a growing number of companies lies in the increasing possibilities of data analytics and cloud computing.

With billions of people connected by nearly a trillion devices by 2015, untapped data will create a wealth of value that is just starting to be understood by both the consumer and those that make and sell devices and services. While building smart devices that connect to the Internet, consumer electronics companies are starting to consider devices that capture and convert that data into insights for action to deliver new experiences

As development continues, a service infrastructure to support those devices is starting to form, as well as new ways to build bridges to innovative services. For example, some consumer electronics companies are starting to employ cloud-based service delivery approaches that utilize mobile applications and analytics capabilities to bring new value to people. Others are rolling out devices already connected with a service delivery platform and that exploit new web development tools to help consumers realize the promise of a smarter home.

At the heart of this development is collaboration and a lot of it was on display at IFA in Berlin this week.

A good example is the Smart TV Alliance, which is a collaborative effort to build open solutions-based technologies that enhance the television viewing experience. Other technology solutions being demonstrated at IFA this week:

• IBM and Texas Instruments explained how connecting appliances to the Internet can help manufacturers get closer to their customers and build a better consumer experience. Using the pervasive presence of WiFi networks in homes, for example, household appliances such as washing machines can be connected via the cloud to the manufacturer. There, Big Data techniques can be used to analyze the wealth of the data to make the appliances more reliable through predictive maintenance, such as alerting consumers when a filter needs to be cleaned or changed. Also, such information can help manufacturers better understand how the appliances are being used, to help improve the designs of the next generation;
  • In a joint Smart Home project, Tatung, Shaspa and IBM showed how consumers can manage a variety of convenience, comfort and safety activities such as controlling security and lighting systems – using any mobile device capable of running the apps;
  • Silicon Valley start-up NexStep Inc. demonstrated a mobile solution that is making it easier for consumers to install and connect home devices while also helping them to solve technical with a few clicks.
YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

The shift in the consumer electronics industry is moving quickly. But manufacturers are responding with smarter devices and connectivity solutions that will not only improve the consumer experience, but establish a stronger connection between consumer and supplier.

________________________________________________________

For more information about IBM solutions and services for the electronics industry please visit www.ibm.com/electronics, follow us on Twitter @IBM_Electronics, or join the conversations on LinkedIn: Smarter Electronics.

October 23, 2014

If you are going for most excellent contents like I do, just go to see this
web site all the time for the reason that it presents feature contents, thanks

Posted by: fashion video blogs

October 19, 2014

An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a coworker
who was conducting a little research on this. And he in fact bought me lunch because I discovered it for him…

lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
But yeah, thanks for spending time to discuss this subject here on your web site.

Posted by: Nilda

October 19, 2014

I savour, lead to I discovered just what I
used to be having a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt!
God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

Posted by: videos del v

October 18, 2014

What’s up friends, how is the whole thing, and what you wish for to say about this paragraph,
in my view its actually awesome for me.

Posted by: gloverjkut.blog.com

October 18, 2014

I am actually delighted to read this blog posts which carries tons
of useful data, thanks for providing these data.

Posted by: Kevin

October 17, 2014

I think this is among the most important info for me. And i’m glad reading your article.
But wanna remark on some general things, The website style is perfect,
the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

Posted by: 18 video blog

October 17, 2014

I read this article fully about the resemblance of
most up-to-date and earlier technologies, it’s amazing article.

Posted by: video blogging websites

October 16, 2014

This is the perfect blog for anybody who wishes to understand this topic.
You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not
that I personally will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic that has been discussed for many years.
Great stuff, just wonderful!

Posted by: clintonnedeljkovic12.sosblogs.com

October 16, 2014

I quite like reading through an article that will make men and women think.
Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!

Posted by: Phillis

October 13, 2014

I do not know whether it’s just me or if everyone else encountering
problems with your blog. It seems like some of the text on your posts are running
off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
This could be a problem with my internet browser
because I’ve had this happen before. Many thanks

Posted by: breaking news in the world

August 24, 2014

But if you’re going to develop the property, this is a six to 12 months process.
Another question they are going to require is if you have property
and also the valuation on that land. The down payment required is somewhere between $1000-5000 down.

Posted by: how do construction loans work?

August 22, 2014

Those with adaptable home loans aren’t forced to spend a certain amount.
But interest-only loans were marketed to everyone so as to maximize the sales of homes, and purchase and
refinance mortgages. Our extensive network of lenders will provide you loans at affordable cost.

Posted by: find lender for self employed mortgage in CA 2014

August 19, 2014

Nevertheless that will make the house loan term extended.
, the home financing vehicle they needed to temporarily allocate
their resources elsewhere, and, if used in the then high appreciation real estate markets, equity would be picked up anyway through appreciation. Consumers in Eastern New
Mexico who are looking to purchase farmland this summer might
want to consider a jumbo mortgage instead of a farm loan.

Posted by: mortgage advice for self employed

August 19, 2014

Almost all the architecture, engineering and real estate offices that closed in 2007, 2008 and 2009 did not reopen.
The value of the loan you have taken will also affect
what you can do if you lose the receipt. Perhaps the money transmitter will be able to transfer funds into another banking account but you will have to ask if that is
able to be accomplished.

Posted by: california construction loans

July 8, 2014

always i used to read smaller articles or reviews that
also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this article which I am reading now.

Posted by: Ricardo

June 29, 2014

Tout ce que vous-mêmes avez voir de manière à se fournir véritablement votre imprimante
3D donner une saison sèche sérieusement sympathique.
Profitez de tout votre imprimante 3D l’ensemble de votre lignée et activement votre imprimante 3D

Posted by: Masterbay.fr

June 27, 2014

In case you prefer to be conservative you are going to
not really feel comfortable wearing 10 carats of diamonds set in 14
carat gold, no matter what kind of jewelry it truly is. Men’s
diamond rings actually haven’t been around all that long.
In this fashion trend people like to wear pearl ornaments.

Posted by: Corazon

June 21, 2014

Jewelry Necklaces: Stone Age Origins For Fashion Neckwear – Humans
have always sought ways and means to adorn their bodies with jewelry;
ever since the first caveman caved in to his woman’s request for a shiny
rock or a smooth shell on a strip of animal hide to hang around her neck,
jewelry necklaces have been probably the most coveted form of artificial beautification. While a black onyx pendant may have a simple appeal, there is more to it than meets the eye.
Over 60 items to choose from for men and just over 45 for women, many of these pieces are emblazoned with
the Diesel brand, so you really have to love it.

Posted by: Mens Jewelry

June 11, 2014

I love what you guys tend to be up too. This kind
of clever work and reporting! Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to our blogroll.

Posted by: aspirateur automatique

June 6, 2014

Découvrez comment se procurer du bitcoin sans trace par le réseau sans risque

Posted by: Nadine

May 23, 2014

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or weblog
posts in this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this site.
Studying this information So i am glad to convey
that I’ve a very excellent uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed.

I such a lot no doubt will make certain to do not disregard this
site and give it a glance on a constant basis.

Posted by: robot piscine zodiac

May 19, 2014

Découvrez comment commander des btc anonymement par réseau internet aujourd’hui

Posted by: acheter litecoinhttp://www.achat-emonnaie.fr

May 19, 2014

Posséder les fameux bitcoin sur le réseau internet facilement

Posted by: acheter bitcoin

May 16, 2014

Acheter de nombreux litecoins avec des sites internet facile

Posted by: http://www.nzkmusic.com

May 7, 2014

If some one wishes to be updated with hottest technologies afterward he
must be pay a quick visit this site and be up to date every
day.

Posted by: achat litecoin

April 29, 2014

Formidable robot cuisine en France pour cuisiner dans sa maison

Posted by: http://www.tmsltd.biz

April 21, 2014

If you want to increase your familiarity simply keep visiting
this site and be updated with the most up-to-date news update
posted here.

Posted by: mini enceinte pc

April 16, 2014

It is actually a great and useful piece of info. I’m happy that you shared this useful
information with us. Please keep us up to date like this.
Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: http://www.goldenonyx.biz

April 16, 2014

I really love your site.. Great colors & theme. Did you make this web
site yourself? Please reply back as I’m trying to create my own blog and want to learn where you
got this from or what the theme is called. Kudos!

Posted by: robot cuisine - http://toprobotcuisine.com

April 15, 2014

Very good information. Lucky me I found your website by accident (stumbleupon).
I’ve bookmarked it for later!

Posted by: bitcoin - http://www.muscatmedia.biz

March 14, 2014

We stumbled over here coming from a different web address and thought I
might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you.
Look forward to looking over your web page repeatedly.

Posted by: http://wlimail.com

December 18, 2013

nice article Scott Burnett sir you explained all the twists in the industry thank-you for writing this valuable info

Posted by: Robert key

September 16, 2013

A very interesting article to read. However, I would very much like to hear a professional opinion on the aspect of personal security and consumer benefits.

It is clearly beneficial to the producers and retailers to include cloud services in their products, but I fail to see the benefit of the individual in many instances. To stick with the instances explained above…cloud based lightning solutions? On paper, it sounds great, I could finally control the lights in the room for my presentation without needing an “assistant” to lower the brightness in the room!

In the real world, it generates a whole bunch of problems, which I have tried to summarized below:

1. How will these cloud solutions alter the bandwith usage of a site?

As these cloud solutions are highly reliant on the cloud (a.k.a. the Internet), what is the guarantee that the servers won’t overload when 2-300 people want to adjust the lights in their offices at the same time?

2. What security measures need to be implemented to avoid unauthorized entries?

Smartphones are highly susceptible to virus attacks and hackers as they don’t have an adequate defense against phising and malware. Cloud services create a huge attack surface on a company with hundreds of unprotected smartphones ready to be exploited for company ID’s and accesses.

3. Is the IT staff experienced and equipped to successfully react to an unauthorized entry?

Cloud solutions seem to be the perfect avenue of a Denial of Service attack (a.k.a. DDoS, a method which consists of efforts to temporarily or indefinitely interrupt or suspend services of a host connected to the Internet). An overloaded server could easily interrupt the Continuity of Business, creating complete chaos in the workflow of the affected departments. And I’m not even mentioning the costs of the fallout.

Every on-site IT department needs to have adequate processes to successfully withstand such aggression towards the company infrastructure, or there must be a centralized off-site reaction team, ready to intercept in case of such scenarios.

Although I am enthusiastic about the emergence of the Cloud, I can’t ignore the dangers it represents to the existing hierarchy and infrastructure of any company. The cloud will change the world. For the better or worse, we will all see in the days to come.

Posted by: Martin Hajer

September 13, 2013

Cool. NSA will know when do the laundry.

Posted by: José Amílcar Casimiro

October 22, 2014

finance.boston.com

Smarter Planet — Cloud, Social Drive New Era of Conumser Electronics — A Smarter Planet Blog

Posted by: finance.boston.com