Dr. Timothy G. Buchman, MD, PhD, Founding Director, Emory Center for Critical Care, Woodruff Health Sciences Center, Emory University

By Dr. Timothy G. Buchman, MD, PhD

Remember when airplane cockpits were filled with round gauges, each providing a piece of basic information to the pilot?

In most hospitals today, we essentially operate on that same old-fashioned model for critically ill patients – those in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Machines provide separate pieces of data about a patient, say, heart rate, blood pressure or organ function. It’s then up to the doctor to watch all of this data and make decisions.

Take for example my patient, lying in the ICU with tubes of various sizes snaking into her body. Her husband and children look on while she is tended by an experienced critical care nurse. Eight infusers drip powerful drugs into her veins. A microprocessor-controlled ventilator regulates the composition, volume and pressure of each breath she takes.

A catheter threaded from her neck deep within her heart and another buried in her wrist continuously display the pressures at various points in the bloodstream. Light transmitted through her earlobe reads out the concentration of oxygen in the capillaries.

Another light transmitted through the breathing tube reads out the concentration of carbon dioxide leaving her body. Electrical voltages dancing across her chest are displayed as two of the nine flowing waves.

The family stares, mesmerized by the raw data entering and exiting the screens.

“How is she doing?” they ask. “When will she be able to breathe on her own?”

“She’s doing ok,” I reply. “As for the breathing tube, maybe tomorrow.”

Until now, that was the best I had to offer. That was the best any of us who work in the ICU could offer. We’ve spent our professional lives looking at data without harvesting it, relying on personal experience without the benefit of objective analysis, retreating to best practices while hoping for a good outcome.

As a pilot and owner of a general aviation airplane, I’ve often wondered why the same advanced systems I rely on in the modern cockpit communicating with air-traffic control can’t also help us predict and avoid trouble in critical care medicine.

The fact is, they can. The technology exists today.

(Bill Adler/Feature Photo Service for IBM)

Dr. Timothy Buchman, MD, PhD, Founding Director, Emory Center for Critical Care, Woodruff Health Sciences Center, Emory University

A novel partnership between IBM and Excel Medical Electronics is changing the game. Excel Medical’s tools allow us to harvest and archive the “Big Data” that was previously lost. IBM InfoSphere Streams makes real-time analytics possible.At EmoryUniversityHospital, we’re piloting this streaming analytics system in the ICU to spot trends and correlations faster and more reliably than any health care professional could identify.Trends like respiratory failure, abnormal heart rhythms and serious infections. Finding problems early means correcting them more easily and more effectively. It’s the first step towards smarter care.

Smarter care is all about situation awareness. Perceiving data. Comprehending data. Projecting what will happen to our patient if we choose to stop drug A, or start drug B, or simply leave things as they are. Building a medical “GPS navigator.” We need high-tech so that we can get back to high-touch.

That would be smarter care. For – and by – a smarter planet.

August 19, 2015

参考記事、正確に私何探していました。
人気商品をお安く 2015春夏新色追加 http://tunanny.es

Posted by: 人気商品をお安く 2015春夏新色追加

August 19, 2015

回答|スパムコメントの多くを得る場合?ので、どのようにあなたがしなければ示唆助言それは、任意のプラグインや、あなたができるもの防ぐ? 狂った狂った私は最近、それが私を駆動するのはそんなにを取得するので、任意のサポート非常に高く評価されています。
2015春夏新色追加 販売店取扱店 http://singingtreemusictherapy.org

Posted by: 2015春夏新色追加 販売店取扱店

August 18, 2015

Thanks in favor of sharing such a fastidious thinking, paragraph is nice, thats why i have read it
completely

Posted by: tong dai dien thoai adsun

August 14, 2015

Quality posts is the key to invite the visitors to pay a quick visit the website, that’s what this site is providing.

Posted by: synthetic

July 13, 2015

For ensuring the best treatment and care for every patient the medical facilities actually need to take assistance of the advanced technology. This article only tells you how technology can directly enhance patient care.

Posted by: long term care @Aspen

July 5, 2015

The fact is that nowadays there are hundreds if
not thousands of different types of dog supplements and treats that you
can buy today. Before we can start talking about diet pills that
actually work, we need to establish the criteria to judge them by.
You may think that purchasing vegetables at a farmers market is healthier but you must be sure they use organic farming methods otherwise you may as well go to the local supermarket.

Posted by: Corey

June 30, 2015

Remarkable things here. I’m very glad to peer your article.
Thanks a lot and I’m looking forward to touch you. Will you please drop
me a e-mail?

Posted by: tshirt forums

June 19, 2015

However, there are several requirements that
must definitely be met before you apply for these
loans. As of late, as soon as many has been forced resistant to the wall, tough money finance or maybe challenging money financing is certainly not non-traditional these days?

Posted by: free.fr

March 1, 2015

I do consider all the ideas you have presented
to your post. They are very convincing and can certainly work.
Still, the posts are very brief for novices. May you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time?
Thanks for the post.

Posted by: Shaunda Mrochek

January 21, 2015

Interesting read, thanks for posting!

Posted by: David Morris

November 6, 2014

Greetings, I do think your website could be having internet browser
compatibility problems. Whenever I look at your site in Safari, it looks fine
however when opening in IE, it hass some overlapping issues.
I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Besides that, excellent site!

Posted by: Sherlene

September 22, 2014

Hi there Dear, are you actually visiting this web site daily, if so afterward you
will without doubt take good experience.

Posted by: LoL Bot

September 20, 2014

Whats up this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually
code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted
to get guidance from someone with experience.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by: Getmethods.Tumblr.Com

September 20, 2014

Great article.

Posted by: Reta

August 3, 2014

And my dream ‘ more than anything ‘ was to become anyone else other than who I was.

Its time to hit the streets America we have a nation to rebuild.
These two incidents are in reality patently meaningless.

Posted by: www.topsharking.com

May 20, 2014

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this
topic to be actually something which I think I would never
understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me.

I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang
of it!

Posted by: quick way to get gems in clash of clans

May 10, 2014

Can I just say what a comfort to find somebody who actually
knows what they are talking about on the net. You
certainly know how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
More people ought to look at this and understand this side of
the story. I was surprised you’re not more popular given that you certainly have the gift.

Posted by: comprar followers twitter

April 10, 2014

I’m really loving the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility problems?
A couple of my blog readers have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari.
Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?

Posted by: Clash of Clans Hack ios

April 8, 2014

What’s up, all is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s actually fine, keep up writing.

Posted by: Warframe Hack

March 14, 2014

I constantly spent my half an hour to read this weblog’s content every day
along with a cup of coffee.

Posted by: happy holi 2014 shayari

February 25, 2014

Hey, iif it’s worth $500-$600 to you to be able to play games at igh definition with surround sound audio in thhe convenience of your living room, go
for it. It doesn’t matter what I have to say about it, people will still profess an undying love forr anything Star Ways
related. The Xbox 360 is not natively backwards-compatible with original Xbox games (due to the differing system architectures) and
soo backwards-compatibility is achieved through an emulator designed by Microsoft.

Posted by: emulateur xbox 360 gratuit

December 22, 2013

This web page is really a walk-by for all of the info you wanted about this and didn�t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you�ll definitely discover it.

Posted by: Rolande Porres

November 13, 2013

Which card is ideal and an easy task to get if I’ve very low credit score? Any recommendation

Posted by: Amos Stivanson

October 2, 2014

[…] The hospital has partnered with IBM and Excel Medical Electronics for an ambitious project: Smart medical equipment which records between 1,000-2,000 data points from each patient per second, multiplied by 100 […]

Posted by: Big Data's Next Challenge: Heart Failure | Grabber

November 7, 2013

[…] and more businesses are using analytics to address specific problems, opportunities or questions, and data visualization is an important asset in today’s arsenal of […]

Posted by: 'Visualizing' Data to Develop the Next Big Question A Smarter Planet Blog