Tal Rabin

Tal Rabin, Manager of Cryptographic Research, IBM Research

“In most cases of security breaches, it’s not the cryptography that’s the problem. It’s the implementation,” said IBM’s Manager of Cryptographic Research Tal Rabin.

She’s referring to the cryptography used to protect our online lives – passwords, two-factor authentication, etc. The implementation is the software built around that cryptography – websites, email, etc. Holes in the latter allow hackers to circumvent the former.

Tal, whose career of writing and developing sophisticated cryptographic protocols has led to a New York Times feature, World Science Festival presentation, an appearance on WNYC’s The Takeaway’s Science Fair, and most-recently the Anita Borg Institute’s “Women of Vision” award, started out studying computer science at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem with the goal, as she puts it, “to get a tech job.”

But Israel’s high tech slump in the late 1980s made Tal rethink that tech job, and pursue a Masters degree. Her advisor suggested cryptography. Maybe her subconscious reminded her of the strategy games and puzzles she enjoyed as a child. Or that her father was also a cryptographer. Whatever the reason, she agreed. In 1994, she earned a National Science Foundation post-doctoral fellowship at MIT, before joining IBM Research at the Thomas J. Watson Research Center in New York.

“My father used to ask me riddles when I was child. And I loved to play games. My sister and I had American board games that were hard to find in Israel, like Risk and Stratego,” Tal said.

Tal made a breakthrough in cryptography right away. Her master’s thesis showed that secure computations could be carried out even in the presence of a majority of faulty parties (parties that don’t work as expected, or even crash). This multiparty computation problem was previously conjectured to be impossible.

Multiparty computations allow for private computations in Internet group settings so that people can work together, or do something as a group, without revealing individual, private information. For example, it has potential use in online auctions and even voting.

“A good example of where multiparty computation could be useful is in sharing medical data. Imagine scientists being able to query ‘patients with diabetes’ from a national database, without compromising patient names, or other information. That’s the kind of pin-point accuracy – and privacy – multiparty computation can allow for,” Tal said.

YouTube Preview Image

A Woman of Vision

Tal didn’t set out to be a cryptographer. But since her 20s, she not only developed a great appreciation for the field, but she also has a greater understanding of how to succeed in the field, too. “The Anita Borg recognition means a lot, because the truth is that there are still very few women in cryptography,” Tal said.

“Other women need support, and it needs to be acknowledged. So, I want to use the opportunities of these recognitions to tell women that it’s challenging work, no matter what, but don’t lose hope.”

Her two daughters get the message, too. The older daughter is studying computer science now, while the younger one wants Mom’s job “because she gets to travel to exciting places.”

“I definitely gave them the idea that math and science are good and doable things,” Tal said.

October 11, 2014

First off I would like to say awesome blog!
I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you do not mind.

I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your
mind before writing. I’ve had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there.
I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are
lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips?

Thanks!

Posted by: domain

June 16, 2014

gluten free food list walmart

Posted by: facts

June 16, 2014

gaming laptops cheap

Posted by: free.fr

June 14, 2014

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire
in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your
augment and even I achievement you access consistently quickly.

Posted by: video

June 12, 2014

beer bread recipe

Posted by: vinfriends.com

June 5, 2014

pizza hut games free download

Posted by: jazztimes.com

June 4, 2014

Whats up this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know
if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get guidance
from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by: whirlpool cabrio top load washer reviews

May 24, 2014

I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills as well
as with the layout on your weblog. Is this
a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality
writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays.

Posted by: Mobile websites

May 20, 2014

Thanks for share………. I hope in future it will be really helpful for us……

Posted by: Ozzy Tuff

May 12, 2014

I didn’t know we had a CryptoLab. I am assuming that some of the strength of our secure processing on our high end servers came out of this research.

Posted by: Rick Sprout

May 12, 2014

Is her father Michael O Rabin? To say he is “also a cryptographer” is a vast understatement — a mathematician and computer scientist of renown, co-inventer of the Miller-Rabin pseudoprimality test, and one of the fathers of nondeterministic machines; he is currently the Thomas J. Watson Sr. professor of computer science at Harvard, among other things.

Excellent genes!

Posted by: woody weaver

May 12, 2014

Sanger Institute on human genomics can benefit from this.

Posted by: Pelani Malange

May 12, 2014

Great to hear of Tal’s successful journey…. Wish Tal all the best. I foresee a demise of websites in the future for conducting transactions in B2B space too and replaced by smart applications on mobile devices. I find banks in India still wary of adopting B2B transactions on mobile devices citing security reasons and each Bank probably invests heavily on security and upgrades from time to time.

Can this be optimized by the advances in cryptography to help stem this wariness?

Posted by: SESHA SAI

May 11, 2014

Working on the Mobile Identity project has given me greater appreciation for people who specialize in cryptography. Tal, thank you for you what do to help make our clients successful, when we are successful in taking care of their security needs.

Posted by: Julie Santilli

May 10, 2014

Short and Precise documentation!

Posted by: Musa Yavuz

May 9, 2014

Neat story – it’s so nice to see women in technology succeed and receive recognition for their work. Congrats!

Posted by: Pam Medina

May 8, 2014

A really fascinating and exciting field to be in now, with all the emphasis on security. And she’s a great role model for women of any age!

Posted by: Cynthia Waldhoff

June 9, 2014

[…] see [1][2][3][4][5] […]

Posted by: Tal Rabin, IBM cryptographer | The Valentina Project

May 15, 2014

[…] See on asmarterplanet.com […]

Posted by: Meet Tal Rabin: Another Person for a Smarter Planet | Richard Kastelein