Posted by
in

Post feed

RSS 2.0

Lisa Seacat DeLuca, IBM Master Inventor for Mobile, reads her newly published childrens’ book, A Robot Story, to her twin sons.

By Lisa Seacat DeLuca

Planting the seeds of curiosity and imagination in kids takes some creativity.

I’m a software engineer but my parents aren’t. Growing up, my father loved gadgets and we had a computer in the house. I taught myself how to type on that computer and eventually how to write html code. I shared my father’s love for gadgets and that led me to applying to colleges for computer science. But when I got to school I felt like I was at a disadvantage. I didn’t know some of the basics that would have made learning the more complex topics a lot easier.

Fast forward ten years, I’m now a parent myself. I am passionate about computers and although still quite young, I can tell my kids are too. Every year there are over 12,000 new computer science graduates in the United States alone. In the next ten years, U.S. Department of Labor statistics project the number of software engineers to grow twice as fast as the average profession.

Without a doubt, my kids will be using mobile computers in some fashion in their future careers. Providing them with the fundamental building blocks of technology and mobile technologies, in particular, early will only benefit them down the road. This is especially true as mobile computing becomes more deeply engrained in business. The IBM-Apple agreement announced this week is a great indicator of this trend and one of the strongest plays to unite business and mobile, with Apple the mobile platform of choice for many, and IBM the global enterprise leader.

So there I was, with another challenge: to find a fun, creative way to start introducing the concepts of technology to my kids. I’ve always enjoyed writing and wanted to someday publish a book. So I lied awake one evening brainstorming a book concept that would be simple and fun. It doesn’t get more basic in the world of computers and mobile devices than learning binary. Immediately my mind danced around a rhyming style book that would show readers how to count to ten in binary.

The idea for my children’s book, A Robot Story, was born.

YouTube Preview Image

And who better to teach binary than a bunch of robots. Publishing a book yourself can be expensive. Since this was very much a project outside of work, I decided to experiment with Kickstarter, a crowd funding marketplace, to raise the money I needed.I set my funding goal admittedly low and reached it in just three short days after launching the campaign. It was a humbling experience to work on an idea from conception all the way through production, collaborating with foreign printers, learning about import processes, and fulfilling orders.

I now am an author of a beautiful children’s board book that I dedicated to my sons. I also created a companion hybrid mobile application, an interactive animated eBook version that brings the characters to life on a mobile device.

"Node.js" and "JSON," from A Robot Story, 2014.

“Node.js” and “JSON,” from A Robot Story, 2014.

I had so much fun that I launched another Kickstarter campaign to produce plush stuffed animals of my nerdy characters. The robot, JSON, even has a transparent pocket that can hold a smartphone so kids can make use of their parents abandoned devices.

There is something incredibly satisfying in hearing the sounds of my kids squealing in delight when they see the characters. That innocent joy and excitement for technology I see in their eyes is the same passion that got me excited about being a software engineer.

As kids today grow up with their smartphones, tablets, laptops and other digital devices, the industry needs to continue to create evermore creative and sophisticated apps that will not only delight but inspire their young minds.

September 27, 2014

Yes! Finally something about skin oily.

Posted by: Dermaperfect Reviews

September 25, 2014

There is Playboy, Cosmopolitan and such others which people can buy and read about their stars.
That procuring spot is certainly consumer’s heaven with
retail outlets standing up in the course of bouquets in addition to lane performing artists.
For any record, mainly because it’s simple isn’t going to make it monotonous.

Posted by: bodycon dresses jenni rivera boutique online

September 24, 2014

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Thank you, However I am encountering troubles with your RSS.

I don’t know why I cannot join it. Is there anyone
else having the same RSS problems? Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly respond?
Thanx!!

Posted by: Hampton Bay ceiling ceiling fans manual

September 23, 2014

You might be also cost-free to eat something you
would like, supplied not surprisingly which you stay as
far away as possible from starch and sugar. You also not need to worry about keeping these
HCG Pellets into the right kind of environment unlike most of the other HCG drops that either needs
to be frozen or kept at room temperature. “Looking at ASAPS statistics, the big push in Aesthetic Medicine over the last ten years is progressively heading towards more and more less invasive treatments.

Posted by: hcg weight loss eugene

September 21, 2014

Black conquers power of revealing any fashion statement at any tense of
events. Locating the perfect wedding dress is quite a activity,
and going out with no idea will make it even harder.
Even better news is that you can take the dress
that you choose back to the store so that it can be purchased again and you can get some
or all of your money back.

Posted by: celebrity fancy dress plus size

September 21, 2014

Light Silk Spray to aid in brushing and easy removal of any tangles.

So try to follow the tips aforementioned to get rid of
the farmer’s tan. There is no reason to be self-conscious about your body in front of the
woman, or man, who is tanning you.

Posted by: fake tan bottles

September 19, 2014

Hi there Dear, are you in fact visiting this site
on a regular basis, if so afterward you will without doubt take good experience.

Posted by: beginner hebrew

September 18, 2014

Everyone wants cheap bait these days but the big problem is
that cheap often means rubbish. Leave your windows open a few hours a
day and then you get to clean the black soot off of the floors.
The exception to this rule is when fishing structure, there will always be a
calm spot behind structure that cat fish rest in and
it will be natural for your bait to settle in this area.

Posted by: west marine freezers

September 17, 2014

- perifolliculum – cirumferential band of fine adventitial collagen that defines the unit.
The answer is what type of diet allows you as you age to produce enough hydrochloric acid to digest your food properly so the fermenting
food in your stomach doesn’t cause other degenerative and inflammatory-related diseases.
Are you in a situation where you cannot be among your friends and feel free because of your hair
issues.

Posted by: best products for Hair growth for women

September 11, 2014

It’s truly very complex in this busy life to
listen news on Television, therefore I simply use web for that purpose, and obtain the most recent news.

Posted by: hampton bay

September 3, 2014

Greetings! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which
blog platform are you using for this site? I’m getting fed up
of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for
another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Posted by: Ashli

August 27, 2014

As well as students are liable to include the ways for which business are imposed to pay different taxes.

5%, the Streamlined program offers a chance of a 5% penalty for non-willful foreign account holders
who failed to disclose their accounts. Usually students are assigned
to prepare a financial accounting essay on a particular business
to identify the current financial position of a business in the operating market.

Posted by: cpa jobs in fort lauderdale florida

August 27, 2014

Excellent blog post. I definitely love this site.
Keep it up!

Posted by: dui lawyer fullerton

August 24, 2014

Beauty is only skin deep and inner beauty is what matters
most. While Kim and her sisters have been criticized for being trashy, classless fame junkies, they’ve also managed to
build a lucrative brand. Facials at the beauty salon, Botox injections, laser or thermage technicians etc.

Posted by: in your Face

August 23, 2014

At times there are also discount sale happening in the
web based stores which will be quite comfortable and easy to purchase.
my website will provide free ideas and practical advice for people who want to enjoy
the rewards of clearing their acne for good, and other skin care problems.

If you are in need of organic baby clothes, organic baby
toys, organic baby diapers and if you are interested
in learning more about organic baby yoga, you can easily go online for more information and for
the greatest selections.

Posted by: gym outfits for women with straight gi joe action

August 21, 2014

What’s up it’s me, I am also visiting this website
daily, this web page is in fact nice and the visitors are in fact sharing good thoughts.

Posted by: buying a second hand car

August 21, 2014

The ball at the bottom of the vacuum houses all of the
engine components and the ball makes it easy to turn and maneuver it with ease.

” I asked my friend who’s got a busy family and a full-time people-oriented job. Put the plunger as far into the toilet as you can and push it up and down repeatedly.

Posted by: tankless water heater pompano beach florida

August 19, 2014

However, when choosing a plastic surgeon some things are to be kept
in mind. You have to be very clear about why you want the
nose surgery done. By changing the size & shape of the
nose, this cosmetic nose can positively influence the balance of facial features.

Posted by: plastic surgery portland oregon

August 17, 2014

Over time even a small crack in the caulk can allow enough moisture to penetrate to allow mold,
mildew or rot to take hold. Patch Small Holes in Drywall Home Improvement Project.
Start an inspiration file and share it with your designer during your
initial meetings.

Posted by: clogged toilet pompano beach seafood festival 2014

August 16, 2014

” How uncomplicated those words roll off our tongues. Another thing to think about are the flowers the bridesmaids will wear. There is a certain type of fashion blogs content writing for which is done especially by prominent designers or their assigned group of website content writing professionals.

Posted by: celebrity prom dresses 2014

July 31, 2014

Thanks for share, nice story

Posted by: Archer Plume

July 28, 2014

Nice story. Good way to make a boring topic like Binary, into an engaging conversation with kids and adults (for that matter.)

Posted by: Al Fakhrzad

July 26, 2014

Lisa – I love your your story of robot book.. a wonderful insparation for us…

Posted by: Gunjan Awasthi

July 25, 2014

Wonderful Idea!! Congratulations

Posted by: Geetha

July 25, 2014

Lisa, I will order the book for my grandson’s and am very excited about your whole concept! You are such an inspiration! Thank you & Congratulations!

Posted by: Tricia Ford

July 25, 2014

wonderful !!! very inspiring !!

Posted by: sai

July 25, 2014

Congratulations! This is just wonderful and it is inspiring.

Posted by: Manoj P.

July 24, 2014

Lisa, your audience, many little ones who are being read to each night, will love the story and the interaction it allows — Congratulations and continued success. P.S. Your little guys are adorable and so is your little dog!!!

Posted by: Glenda Allen

July 24, 2014

Congratulations Lisa! What an excellent idea!

Posted by: Evangela McConnell

July 24, 2014

Congratulations Lisa on such a fun way to engage the next up and coming generation on technology.

Posted by: Karen Kurple

July 24, 2014

Congratulations! Great Idea and the best is that You made it possible!

Posted by: Cecilia

July 24, 2014

Lisa, loved reading this story. Such a great idea to encourage kids to learn about technology from an early age. Congrats on the new book and good luck on the other projects! Your kids are adorable!

Posted by: Adriana Valido

July 24, 2014

Great story Lisa. Congratulations on the book, the ideas and your twins! as a second generation IBMer, this story and your dedication are exactly what we need to propel us forward as a company. Keep Inventing!

Posted by: Doug Carlson

July 24, 2014

This is a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing this Lisa. Making the world smarter starting from our future computer programmer and scientists!

Posted by: Arman John O Jison

July 23, 2014

Sorry if I’m missing the point, but how does learning the binary code help children with being tech-savvy?

I think learning early is a good idea, but wouldn’t it be more helpful if they played some educational video games or maybe learned about logical operators?

Posted by: Kevin Zhang

July 23, 2014

Hi Lisa,

I am impressed and please keep up these great ideas.

Posted by: Petra Montaven

July 23, 2014

A wonderful deed indeed Lisa. Force us also to think something different.

Posted by: Lalit K Choudhary

July 23, 2014

Lisa, this is beyond FANTASTIC! You always surprise and delight with something magnificent, ROCK on!!

Glad Kickstarter worked for you, keep on your brilliant ideas – and making a difference for folks around you.
BTW the promo video is great, wow! I’m buying what you are selling~, you have made it so so relevant for anyone.

Ohh your kids are so so adorable! Smiles.

Looking fwd to see what is next for you :):)

Posted by: Gergana Markova

July 22, 2014

Enjoyed reading this blog and your story Lisa. I will be sure to check out the book for my grandchildren!

Posted by: Farida Ansari

July 22, 2014

This story reminded me of the little Pascal program I wrote for my son 28 years ago. It created random geometric shapes with bright colors any time he touched a key on the keyboard. It’s great to see such sophisticated creativity. Way to go Lisa!

Posted by: Cindy Walter

July 22, 2014

What a great story. I too will plan to purchase the books for two of my nieces. How nice to be able to say “I work with this lady”. I truly admire you. I always wanted to write children’s story books. My English teachers from 6th grade through college all advised me to become a writer. Unfortunately, I never listened to them. You went out on your own and just did it! It is indeed impressive and I’m thrilled that you made your dream a reality. Best of luck in all that you will continue to endeavor, successfully, I’m sure. How very special for your children to have such a great Mommy, and quite a remarkable legacy set for them so early on in their precious little lives! They are lovely!

Posted by: Dianne Dwyer

July 22, 2014

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
those who know binary, and those who don’t.

Posted by: B. Jones

July 22, 2014

Lisa – this is FANTASTIC. I will be purchasing the book for my two sons. As a fellow IBMer and a CMU alum, I’m very proud and impressed :)

Posted by: Zeynep

July 21, 2014

Lisa, Wonderful that you did this for your sons and all kids (parents) to read. My 3 kids are grown now, but I admire what you put together!

Posted by: Tom Creamer

July 25, 2014

オンラインストア-ボッテガ ヴェネタ-小物-通販サイト 洗練された-定期入れ 名刺入れ パスケース-オンラインストア

A Smarter Planet Blog « Instrumented. Interconnected. Intelligent. A Smarter Planet Blog

Posted by: オンラインストア-ボッテガ ヴェネタ-小物-通販サイト 洗練された-定期入れ 名刺入れ パスケース-オンラインストア

July 23, 2014

[…] Click here to view the embedded video. […]

Posted by: Another Chapter in One Mobile Inventor’s Desire to Inspire: “A Robot Story” - Technology.Info

July 18, 2014