Katie Keating, Social Content and Engagement Strategist, IBM

Katie Keating, Social Content and Engagement Strategist, IBM

By Katie Keating

Brands live in fear of the errant tweet, the insulting Facebook post, the lewd Instagram photo. And sometimes they are hacked. Sometimes a disgruntled employee does act out of spite. But all too often those social media gaffes come down to user error: a human juggling several channels – including their personal accounts – and hitting the wrong button, for the wrong site, at the wrong time.

A colleague of mine, software developer Aaron Quirk, and I submitted the patent “Preventing Messages From Being Sent Using Inappropriate Communication Accounts” to prevent just such embarrassments. Using natural language processing and the Bluemix cloud service, the invention monitors your activity across your email, social channels and more and “learns” your voice over time.

Aaron Quirk, Software Performance Analyst, IBM.

Aaron Quirk, Software Performance Analyst, IBM.

Social business managers, the folks like me who manage a company’s social media presence, typically use aggregation tools to see every site, channel, and app on one multi-columned screen. It’s convenient, but all too easy to hit “send” on one account, when you meant another. Our invention will know your tone and typical language for each site, and more importantly, from each account.

Keating with commemorative plaque from IBM Chairman and CEO, Ginni Rometty.

Keating with commemorative plaque from IBM Chairman and CEO, Ginni Rometty.

Meant to tweet about a referee’s poor eye sight on your own handle, and not your company’s? The tool will pop up and ask, “Are you sure? This looks personal.” You will then get the chance to stop or allow the post.

The tool runs as a background agent on laptops and mobile devices, monitoring your social media activity. The agent connects to an analytics service, for example, the Watson Analytics service running on IBM Bluemix, to understand usage trends on those connected social media accounts. When the cloud service detects unexpected activity, it alerts the agent so the user has a chance to recover from their mistake.

What secured this patent filing was its originality in the realm of social media tools and the value it offers to social media managers. I know social media and its pain points. Aaron knows software and how to take advantage of the cloud to scale the idea. Going forward, I would love to see this idea take shape as an IBM product so that everyone has a chance to avoid a social media faux pas.

August 31, 2016

Should we be requesting that ourselves how enhance our behavior all in all as opposed to getting it? I for one believe that society could remain to act somewhat more professionally (considered correspondence) in a social sense, yet professionally we could do with somewhat more trustworthiness and straightforwardness.

I am certain that we can get Facebook, Instagram, inspired by such a usefulness

Posted by: Video Bokep

June 20, 2016

I feel really happy to have seen your webpage and look forward to so many more interesting stuff here.

Posted by: Hello Trekker

June 13, 2016

mantap dah artikelnya

Posted by: kredit mobil honda semarang

June 10, 2016

Good idea/ innovative

Posted by: Geoffrey

May 3, 2016

Hello very nice website!! Guy , .. Excellent .. Super ..
I will bookmark your site and take the feeds also?
I am glad to search out a lot of useful info here
in the post, we’d like work out more strategies on this
regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . . googd your blogs

Posted by: video bokep

March 19, 2016

You are always going to have misfires when juggling social accounts…I guess you can skip the part where you are scrambling to hit the delete button! Congrats to you and Aaron!

Posted by: Cream Pemutih Wajah

March 19, 2016

Hello Katie,
Congratulations on your First Patent Achievement !
Keep those Kewl ideas coming, and you’ll see it is going to be a great trip!

Posted by: Mount Rinjani Trekk

February 24, 2016

good news and thanks for share

Posted by: buat akun gmail

February 12, 2016

Nice idea & said correctly but, It’s the bad thing beyond my guess. anyway thanks for sharing

Posted by: Beanstalk

January 20, 2016

good post

Posted by: psiphon for pc

September 5, 2015

Faux pas though do make for a more human touch. I am not sure if perfection has to be in everything. Todays faux pas could be tomorrows #trending whatever. I mean i do believe we need things that are correct but a little imperfection here and there makes a company real. Does everyone agree or disagree?

Posted by: Jon Floyd

June 30, 2015

social media is really gaining significant popularity in Kenya. nowadays most employers require social media a compulsory skill. this content has motivated me to learn as much as i possibly can about social media if i am to keep up with the rest of the world.

Posted by: Terry

February 26, 2015

I tɦink еverything posted ԝaѕ actսally very reasonable.
Howevеr, what abօut this? suppose you composed ɑ catchier post title?
Ӏ aіn’t sаying your informаtion isn’t solid., ƅut ѡhat if you added
something that grabbed people’s attention? I mean Do Yߋu Rеally Want to Share That?
Eliminating thе Social Media Faux Ρaѕ

Posted by: book review worksheet for high school

February 15, 2015

Peculiar article, totally ԝɦɑt Ӏ wanted to find.

Posted by: book review template for fifth grade

February 6, 2015

Posted by: Angie

February 5, 2015

Interesting, I have been thinking about this exact thing, something that would warn you if you are posting something that seems hostile. Too many hostile messages and comments bring everyone down, and we’ve all been guilty of sharing too much anger at times. Congratulations on your patent!

Posted by: Chris

February 5, 2015

Hmm, I personally have some mixed feelings on this one. On one hand I congratulate you for an innovative idea.

On the other hand I raise a philosophical question: How many of us have worse spelling skills because of our dependency of every tool (including this very comment box) to check our spelling?

If we put our dependencies into IT to watch the words we use we will inevitably become worse at thinking about our message. I know your patent doesn’t propose to reword it, but even that safety net of asking “are you sure” is going to make the author dependent on it.

Should we be asking ourselves how to improve our conduct in general rather than catching it? I personally think that society could stand to act a little more professionally (considered communication) in a social sense, yet professionally we could do with a little more honesty and transparency.

I’m not a fan of promoting facades.

Posted by: Dale

February 4, 2015

Hi Katie. Terrific idea. Sounds like something IBMers and clients alike can definitely use! How cool is that to have gotten a patent! Congratulations.

Posted by: Karen

February 4, 2015

Thank you!!!!!!! Not even sure if that is enough, but what else can I say?

Posted by: Rachael Boucher

February 4, 2015

Brilliant, Katie. Hats off to you. This will go a long way as a product wherein small time ad agencies, branding companies, and media marketing firms can leverage its use for their customers.

Posted by: Abhilash Warrier

February 3, 2015

How can we insure that the background monitoring process does not abuse our personal privacy? After all, it does watch our every social interaction.

Posted by: Israel Malik

February 3, 2015

@Suj Great to hear from you! And thanks :)

Posted by: Katie Keating

February 3, 2015

@Brendan @Jitendranath @Marie @Neil @Stig Love all these ideas and suggestions! I certainly hope that this will become a tool someday. It’s great to see the positive response and enthusiasm for our invention.

Posted by: Katie Keating

February 3, 2015

Fantastic idea! I want one. How can we access this tool?

Posted by: FJC

February 3, 2015

Hello Katie,
Congratulations on your First Patent Achievement !
Keep those Kewl ideas coming, and you’ll see it is going to be a great trip!

Posted by: Suj Perepa

February 3, 2015

This should be extended to a block function, when people go out. I am sure that we can get Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter interested in such a functionality. Or rather, there users would be interested. :)

Posted by: Stig Storm

February 2, 2015

Great innovative thinking…if we can eliminate the “fear” factors around social media, it will help them to be further embraced across the business.

Posted by: Claire

February 2, 2015

What a brilliant idea! If we’d had this 20 years ago I might have had a career rather than a list of “If only I had checked properly before pressing send…”s. Well done for coming up with this.

Posted by: Nigel

February 2, 2015

This is a brilliant idea, and addresses a problem I’ve encountered many times. Now if only it could stop me before I tweet out speling mistaiks and those annoying little pseudo-words, that would be gr8!

Posted by: Neil

February 2, 2015

Great idea. I love that it learns your social media “voices”.

Posted by: Alison

February 2, 2015

Great idea, How about extending its use by flagging the time eg. Its 2am on Saturday morning, are you sure this is business related!

Posted by: Marie Markey

February 2, 2015

Very Good news. This has come in very right time. When i was doing Text Analytics for internal forums, I have noticed several times that some of the comments from members are based on their personal views/opinions with no supporting data.. One comment from any member(internal or external) be it positive or negative can create lot of ripples in the community and now it is imperative to have this check point.

Posted by: Jitendranath Palem

February 2, 2015

Very useful Aaron, thanks, how do we access this tool?

Posted by: Amritha Alapati

February 1, 2015

What a great idea. Looking forward to seeing it as an IBM product in the near future.

Posted by: nilregrets

January 30, 2015

Kool idea, congrats. Food for thought, instead of just informing on a personal/business boundary, my sense is that the analytics could also provide “Ms Manner’s” context application as well…to catch the errant venting or critique or directional-tone of a particular update. It could apply target-context as well (ie. a CEO forum may not be best suited for LOL notations, and may expect more business-line protocol, and a SW Developer forum may be just the opposite and encourage more informal exchanges…and the analytics would be the arbiter of whether a given target channel has relevant context to apply to your post.

Posted by: Brendan Coffey