Posted by
Elizabeth O'Brien in

Post feed

RSS 2.0

The analysis: Sharapova won two of their first three meetings, all in 2004. Since then Williams has won 12 straight with Sharapova winning 3 sets in those 12 matches. Both players have excellent, aggressive return games and strong first serves, but Serena has a more consistent 2nd serve and has been steadier from the baseline.

Sharapova is playing extreme tennis – she’s on the edge at all times – going for winners and risking errors. Serena is the more consistent of the two – going for winners when she’s in position to do so, keeping the ball in play and deep when she isn’t in a winning position. Sharapova knows that she can’t beat Williams playing her same go for broke style – she’ll need to use a bit more spin and angle to open up the court and keep Serena off balance, and then go for the winning shot when she has the opening.

It will be a tough task for Sharapova to defend her title here – Serena looks unbeatable and she has been for Sharapova for the last nine years.

The data:

Williams Highlights:

• Her serve is the biggest weapon in women’s tennis – 31 aces – winning 76% of 1st serves & 62% of 2nd serves – top speed 124 mph – lost serve just 4 times (all 4 against Kuznetsova in the QF)
  • No safe place to hit to her – 63 forehand winners – 61 backhand winners – 176 total winners and just 100 unforced errors in 6 matches
  • She’s broken serve in 63% of her return games (that’s equivalent of letting her opponents serve every game and still winning each match 6-4, 6-3)

Sharapova Highlights:

• Her 1st serve is a weapon – 22 aces (12 in her semifinal) – winning 72% of those points
  • Her 2nd serve is a risk reward shot – she will go for it, trying to hit lines and not backing down much in terms of speed – the results can be mixed – lots of aggressive 2nd serve and lots of double faults (26 in the tournament)
  • Strong return of service – winning 46% vs. 1st serves – winning 57% vs. 2nd serves – she’s won almost half of her return games

Screen Shot 2013-06-07 at 4.20.51 PM

October 21, 2014

Al B.Sure here to Introduce the Electro Pop, Technotronic RAP And, Electronica Dance.
Fueled by the Best Colaboration of Marc Alex
and Al B. Sure 2 time Grammy Award Winner, 1 Time Billboard Award and World
Music Award.Music playing in everyday situations helps achieve Happiness.

Our Music does just that. Just Download Marcs Latest Single HOT STUFF.
Free Sample at: http://sn.im/hot-stuff and see the Magical sounds of
Al B.Sure and Marc Alex.

Posted by: celebrity

October 16, 2014

Hi, I do think this is an excellent blog. I stumbledupon it
;) I will cme back yet again since I saved as a favorite it.
Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich annd
continue to help others.

Posted by: wizard101 cheats

October 12, 2014

always i used to read smaller content that also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this post which I am reading now.

Posted by: muscle size quickly

October 9, 2014

always i used to read smaller content which as well clear their motive, and that is also happening with
this piece of writing which I am reading now.

Posted by: Rowena

October 6, 2014

Hello this is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to
manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by: revida

October 4, 2014

Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but
I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment
form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m
having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

Posted by: nurse canada immigration

October 2, 2014

Having read this I thought it was very enlightening.

I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this content together.
I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and commenting.
But so what, it was still worthwhile!

Posted by: metal stampings

October 2, 2014

With such a huge memory space you can save all your snaps, videos
and favourite music. Java is the most well-known gaming platform which is ruling the roost these days.

Posted by: Pocket Mine astuce

September 29, 2014

If some one needs expert view about blogging after that i
advise him/her to pay a quick visit this web site, Keep up the fastidious work.

Posted by: home business tips

September 28, 2014

You want to position a pool where it is viewable easily from both
indoors and outdoors for safety reasons.
These days, no one works for cheap, and so even basic landscaping is likely to cost home owners a bomb.
Hence, while planting the plant you should perform careful research.

Posted by: www.jorisvanlienen.nl

September 15, 2014

Il entra casino dans une île déserte. Damné animal
allume la lanterne, cherché à éclaircir le mystère, et, quoi qu’il advienne.
M Seurel de prendre; cela était facile de gouverner vos paroles, général, nous faisons aujourd’hui?

Posted by: casino en ligne

August 15, 2014

I am genuinely glad to glance at this website posts
which consists of tons of helpful facts, thanks for providing these information.

Posted by: remedies for lower back pain

September 28, 2014

elpais.com.co

Women’s final: Williams vs. Sharapova | Game Changers

Posted by: elpais.com.co

June 8, 2013

[...] The pre-match analysis here said, “Sharapova won two of their first three meetings, all in 2004.  Since then Williams has won 12 straight with Sharapova winning 3 sets in those 12 matches.  Both players have excellent, aggressive return games and strong first serves, but Serena has a more consistent 2nd serve and has been steadier from the baseline.  Sharapova is playing extreme tennis – she’s on the edge at all times – going for winners and risking errors.  Serena is the more consistent of the two – going for winners when she’s in position to do so, keeping the ball in play and deep when she isn’t in a winning position.  Sharapova knows that she can’t beat Williams playing her same go for broke style – she’ll need to use a bit more spin and angle to open up the court and keep Serena off balance, and then go for the winning shot when she has the opening.” [...]

Posted by: In the end Serena was too good. | Game Changers