Students for a Smarter Planet ..leaders with conscience
U Tennesee Knoxville
October 24th, 2012
5:19
 

Alma Water is in its marketing research stage and would like for you to participate in the quick survey below.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AquaWater1

We appreciate you time and effort

Thank you,

Alma Water team

Bookmark and Share
October 17th, 2012
14:00
 

Alma Water

Our group consist of Kasey Gourley (Finance), Matt Lane (Management), Charlie Kalna (Management), Steven James (Management), Katelyn Hasse (Nuclear Engineer).

After reading an article, suggested to him by his grandfather, Kasey realized the importance of water and continued hearing that water is the “blue gold”. The article stated that, “More than 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water; 97.5% of that is salt water, leaving only 2.5% as fresh water. With the population projected to top 9 billion people by 2050, the need for water will increase substantially.”  He spoke with his grandfather and determined there has to be a more efficient and sustainable way to desalinate water using solar power and green energy.

Kasey pitched this idea to his group, in their Management 451 class “New Venture Planning”. The class challenges the students to come up with an idea for a business and write a business plan around their idea. The students must research the idea, develop marketing strategies, perform a feasibility analysis and, finally, write a business plan to present to the class at the end of the semester. After pitching the idea, the team agreed that it was a great idea and could be a possibility. We then began to brainstorm on the exact business we wanted to be in and who our customers/target market were going to be. After much thought, we decided to be a company that bottles water, due to the extreme markup on bottled water. This give us the best chance to make a profit, with the high start up and overhead cost associated with desalination. We decided that selling a premium, high quality, bottle of water would be our most viable option. With green energy and sustainability a major issue facing our world, we decided that using solar power and biodegradable bottles would make our product more appealing to the socially/environmentally responsible customers.

As a team, we believe this is possible and will strive to make it happen. With each member bringing different attributes and strengths, we have a solid foundation to jump start the process of turning this idea into reality.  Our next step is to take this idea of ours and start a basic market research.  We intend on accomplishing this by channeling surveys out to a wide variety of individuals,  we plan to discuss with current operators of desalinating plants, solar engineers, engineering and business professors about the overall scheme and plan, and do an analysis of our customers and determine the cost associated with the prototype we will build.

Bookmark and Share

Katelyn Hasse nominated her team project called “Alma Water”.  The team intends to sell solar desalinated water with minimal environmental impact.  They’ll use reverse osmosis and solar power to desalinate and bottle the water.  They will use low volume plastic bottles.  Let’s see if they can make a business out of it!  Watch for her updates here.

Bookmark and Share

Subscribe to this category Subscribe to U Tennesee Knoxville

 
ChatClick here to chat!+